Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Organ Donation
27-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Organ Donation

I watched Casualty tonight & it was an interactive episode surrounding organ donation. There were 2 cases, a 40 ish year old man & a young girl both of whom needed a heart transplant & only 1 heart available. Viewers were invited to vote who they would give the heart to. Dr Robert Winston advised the parameters normally considered by doctors in the real world but in this case, neither person was more medically deserving than the other. I didn't get to see who got it but some of the statistics mentioned were horrifying.

There are 8000 people currently waiting for a transplant of some sort in the UK. Last year 750 organs were donated. Although 91% of people questioned said they would be prepared to donate their organs, 60 odd% don't do anything about it. ( I think it was 60% ish)

The reasons range from apathy to being scared of not being dead when the organs are taken to doctors not working hard enough to keep them alive if it is known they are organ donors.

Currently in the UK, the system in place needs you to carry a donation card or be registered on the Donation Register & then, in the actual situation, your next of kin makes the decision. Public opinion is moving to the same system they have in Australia in that it is assumed EVERYONE wishes to be a donor unless they have registered to say otherwise. This counteracts the apathy problem but this system causes problems with relatives who feel betrayed by the lack of consultation & can actually affect the transplant patient receiving the organ as apparently, knowing the organ is given rather than taken is a factor in recovery!

So, how do you feel? Are you an organ donor either by card or on the register? If not, why have you taken the decision not to be? Are your next of kin aware of your feelings as they have the ultimate decision.

Discuss.

I'm usually thin & gorgeous - today is my day off
http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/egg03063.gif
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2005, 10:17 PM
Organ Donation
I think it should be automatic unless you have specified otherwise. Although I didn't realise that was a factor in recovery - I suppose you care more for something hard come-by?

Personally, they can do what they want when I go. If there's anything left worth having.

Although I would be annoyed if my bum ended up giving half of Hollywood trout lips:laugh:

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
27-08-2005, 10:29 PM
Organ Donation
I didn't watch this program but I've seen a few of the other programs that have been on this week.

I really don't think it should go to the system of all are doners unless otherwise specified.
People may have not talked about donation, and relatives could be undecided what to do in that situation and the doctors could come across and say,well they didn't say they didn't want to, so therefore we are taking all we can. (cynical I know, it's what nursing does to you)

I really do think the system of volunteering is the best way.
I know alot of people die waiting for organs, but unfortunately, just because someone hasn't specified what they want to do with their body, doesn't give the right for someone to take all they have.

Personally I'm not an organ doner.
I think because I just don't know whether I'd want my organs going to someone else (selfish I know)
In one respect I think, well when I'm dead I'm just a vessel with no use.
But then there is something else in me that says I want to be whole when I go (does that sound stupid)

One thing about donations that alot of people don't realise is that to donate major organs, the patient has to be on life support and at the stage of being declared dead, but they are kept on the machine, (if donation is agreed upon) then when a match is found they are taken to surgery to have the organs removed and then allowed to pass on.

[Image: 429.gif]
27-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Organ Donation
Andrea Wrote:One thing about donations that alot of people don't realise is that to donate major organs, the patient has to be on life support and at the stage of being declared dead, but they are kept on the machine, (if donation is agreed upon) then when a match is found they are taken to surgery to have the organs removed and then allowed to pass on.

I realise that Andrea and it's easy for me to sit here and say I wouldn't have a problem donating anything, although I don't carry a donor card, which I know I should. When you've gone, you've gone, even when kept "alive" by a machine. However, it's another matter for your relatives who have to make that decision for you. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
27-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Organ Donation
I can understand the point of view of a lot of the people who said that they wouldn't want to donate; especially if they thought that the doctors would not try as hard to resuscitate if they were a potential donor (I know this is not true). Most people hate the thought of being cut up, but as the mother who's son died in a car crash said- her son had to have a post mortem anyway, so his organs would have been removed, examined and then put back if he wasn't a donor.
I started to discuss this with my family but we always ended up going off topic and discussing what if you were still alive and they started to take your organs out :shocking: and then moved onto did you see that on TV, or did you read that in the paper.
I want to donate and I used to carry a card, but I think it's about time I joined the register and told my family.
I didn’t like the interactive aspect of casualty tonight; I didn’t see the point. Much more informative was the real life cases on the BBC all this week

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!
27-08-2005, 10:56 PM
Organ Donation
Andrea Wrote:I didn't watch this program but I've seen a few of the other programs that have been on this week.

I really don't think it should go to the system of all are doners unless otherwise specified.
People may have not talked about donation, and relatives could be undecided what to do in that situation and the doctors could come across and say,well they didn't say they didn't want to, so therefore we are taking all we can. (cynical I know, it's what nursing does to you)

I know alot of people die waiting for organs, but unfortunately, just because someone hasn't specified what they want to do with their body, doesn't give the right for someone to take all they have.

I think because I just don't know whether I'd want my organs going to someone else (selfish I know)
But then there is something else in me that says I want to be whole when I go (does that sound stupid)

One thing about donations that alot of people don't realise is that to donate major organs, the patient has to be on life support and at the stage of being declared dead, but they are kept on the machine, (if donation is agreed upon) then when a match is found they are taken to surgery to have the organs removed and then allowed to pass on.

Andrea, I don't think you are either selfish or stupid. It is an emotive subject. Ones wishes are easy to dictate but it is another thing entirely to have to make the decision whether you are aware of the deceased's wishes or not.

Speaking personally, when I'm dead, I'm dead. Gone. (Including being kept alive by a machine so my organs can be used). My spirit is me, the essence of what I am, not the body I inhabit for this life - going slightly off topic I know & WAY to deep which is a tendency after a few snifters of the red wine variety - Dave is very un-nerved by discussing the topic but I have made my wishes crystal clear to him. It is difficult as he is not as passionate about organ donation as I am & I cannot be 100% sure that he will abide by my wishes - he finds it difficult enough to talk about now never mind if I die so I've put it in my will & my medical notes that I want to donate. & told him that if he doesn't let me, I'll haunt his ass in the worst way :laugh:

27-08-2005, 10:58 PM
Organ Donation
Andrea Wrote:I didn't watch this program but I've seen a few of the other programs that have been on this week.

Andrea, I don't think you are either selfish or stupid. It is an emotive subject. Ones wishes are easy to dictate but it is another thing entirely to have to make the decision whether you are aware of the deceased's wishes or not.

Speaking personally, when I'm dead, I'm dead. Gone. (Including being kept alive by a machine so my organs can be used). My spirit is me, the essence of what I am, not the body I inhabit for this life - going slightly off topic I know & WAY to deep which is a tendency after a few snifters of the red wine variety - Dave is very un-nerved by discussing the topic but I have made my wishes crystal clear to him. It is difficult as he is not as passionate about organ donation as I am & I cannot be 100% sure that he will abide by my wishes - he finds it difficult enough to talk about now never mind if I die so I've put it in my will & my medical notes that I want to donate. & told him that if he doesn't let me, I'll haunt his ass in the worst way :laugh:

What I'm not sure of is my next of kin situation if Dave dies before me...........would it be my mum or my daughter if she was over 18?

28-08-2005, 01:44 AM
Organ Donation
I have 2 wishes for my end day...1)I want to be an organ donor 2) I want to be creamated. I keep telling myself I will get a legal document for both as Mr. MS seems aghast at both of my choices. I don't know why...it's not from religious views or anything like that. He won't elaborate more than he wants to be able to know I'm beside him if he goes first or visa versa. My brother has had 2 kidney transplants from 2 of my brothers. The 1st shut down really quickly and the 2nd is been threatening to do so. There are no more family matches unles they branch out to the cousins, etc. This is why I want to give my organs to someone that needs them b/c I couldn't for my brother. That is if they are worth using...msgirl

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure:
28-08-2005, 09:07 AM
Organ Donation
I'm an organ donor and I wouldn't care who got my bits after I'd gone ... although I'd pity the poor sod who gets the liver (do they do liver transplants?!).

A friend of mine said he would never recommend that anyone donates their eyes as his girlfriend died in a car accident and was a donator of everything, so they took the eyes. When he went to see the body she had no eyes, he found this deeply disturbing for many years after (probably still does i don't know him anymore).

I'd like to think that the doctors who take the organs are a bit more tactful and perhaps close the eyelids some how.

It's a very emotive subject and until my son, mother, sister etc is on a slab and I'm asked whether I want to donate I honestly don't know what decision i would think is best. At the moment I'm pretty sure I'd say take whatever you need and I'm pretty sure my relative wuold want me to ... but you know I don't really know what they would say.

I've got a family bbq tomorrow so i will ask questions and get answers and not allow them to go off topic!

I don't watch casualtly but my mum loves it, so i'm sure she saw the episode and I would imagine it got her thinking about her organ donation status ... so maybe the programme did some good in that way.

you see I also don't think ...and I'm guilty of this lately ... that enough people donate blood which causes you no pain, no illness (usually). I must donate some next time they come to town!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
28-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Organ Donation
Casualty is one of my favourite programmes but I only caught the end of this as I didn't realise it was on until I flicked over after the Xtra factor. The series ended last week and I didn't realise that there was a special on.

Anyway although I donate blood I have never got around to carrying a donor card. I have been considering becoming an organ donator for a long time but have never got around to it.

Well after watching the end of this programme I thought it was time to stop considering it and do it, so I have just signed up online.