Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Our Police - do they do a good job?
11-11-2004, 01:50 PM

On the whole I think they have an extremely hard job to do, with so much red-tape etc going on, their hands are tied most of the time.

For example - recently we have been having a group of around 20 or so youths hanging around in our vicinity. They are a mixed group of boys and girls and are probably in the age-range of say about 14/15. There are 3 or 4 of them who ride their cycles without any lights or helmets. They occassionally have a football that they kick off the cars as they go up our street. They have bent car ariels, taken off car wing mirrors, thrown stones at the windows in the flats, peed in doorways and have tried to gain access to some of the flats. On some occassions they have bottles of alcohol that they swig as they go along.

On Saturday night we were returning from a party around 9ish and as we turned into the street, we saw this crowd hanging on the corner, standing in the middle of the road, in fact one of them on the bike appeared from nowhere and Mr B had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting him. As it was late we didn't get parked outside the house. We parked at the top of our street and walked down, all the time these young guys were shouting to each other usually every second word being effing or bluddy or B&***&^. There was mention of rolling joints and kicking someone's head in.

I phoned the police when we got in and was put through to a police officer. As I was put through to him a police car did appear in the street and attended to one of the main-door flats across the road where the youths had been hanging out. My conversation with the policeman went along the lines of "what do you want us to do"? He asked me if I there was a neighbourhood watch scheme set up, to which I replied we had received and sent off forms but had nothing back from the police. He basically told me that a police car was there and that was all they were going to do about it. I made the point that we almost run over the guy on the bike and dreaded to think what would have happened if we had, that there was alcohol involved and use of drugs & voilence had been mentioned and that they were underage. Also in our stair alone 2 bikes had been stolen and some other flats had their properties broken into. He seemed very unconcerned and told me that the switchboard was lighting up like a Christmas Tree and that some calls were more urgent and more important than a few youths hanging around. I was made to feel guilty for phoning, but when the policeman came round when Katie's bike was stolen we were told to report every kind of incident as that way a patrol car would be deemed necessary. Now, I like to think that I like in a fairly nice, well sought-after area but these situtations are becoming a nightly occurance.

Are we supposed to just let it happen? I understand that yes, there are more incidents that are more important, is it down to not enough coppers on the beat or is it a case of well, what can they do anyway? I mean these kids are only 14/15 and they are not concerned about the police at all!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2004, 02:43 PM
I think they have a thankless task that is not aided by the amount of red tape they now have to cope with as a result of current government legislation.

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
Find all posts by this user
11-11-2004, 02:52 PM
I know a lot of Police and ex-Police through work and also socially, and I have to say that most of them are absolutely USELESS. The older ones that have been in the job a long time and want to do it properly are all just waiting for the day they can hang up their handcuffs and leave. They are hacked off with ridiculous policies concerning so called discrimination, strangulating red tape, the general atmosphere, the erosion of their powers, and most of all the new recruits. I hate to say it but these days getting in to the Police force is not an achievement - they'll take on virtually anybody. The training is nothing compared with what it used to be. From what I am told, the new recruits spend most of their time shagging each other and getting drunk, and generally are doing the job for all the wrong reasons.

I find when I work with them, I end up telling them how to report someone and how to write a statement. They also tend to be very unnecessarily aggressive with suspects and not terribly observant. It is absolutely ridiculous.
11-11-2004, 03:05 PM
I don't really know any policemen, but I'm inclined to think that the Police probably do the best job they can in circumstances which often make it impossible for them to do anything at all. As others have mentioned, they often have their hand tied with massess of red tape, they are undermined by political correctness and are hampered by PR policies which are aimed not at good policing, but at the image of good policing,

They are understaffed, under funded, and are expected to take flak from the people they are trying to help on a daily basis. To top it all, their job is becoming increasingly dangerous - in some inner cities areas these days, a policeman's job is sometimes akin to that of a soldiers.

No wonder some of them are feeling disullisioned.

They do a necessary job which, if I'm honest, I wouldn't be prepared to do in a million years. I'm loathe to criticise them and sometimes get a bit peed off with people slagging off the police because its seen to be "trendy" to do so.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
11-11-2004, 03:07 PM
karenh Wrote:They do a necessary job which, if I'm honest, I wouldn't be prepared to do in a million years. I'm loathe to criticise them and sometimes get a bit peed off with people slagging off the police because its seen to be "trendy" to do so.

I'd agree with this totally Karen.

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
Find all posts by this user
11-11-2004, 04:10 PM
Groucho Wrote:I'd agree with this totally Karen.

I wasn't slagging the police off personally, what I was getting at was the fact that there is so much red tape and when......or if a case comes to trial it usually falls apart because of a silly, minor detail! I agree I would not want to their job and if I am totally honest I do admire and respect them. Yes, there maybe some hanging around waiting for their pension not doing much, but isn't that the same in most jobs!

I think what is wrong is that we do expect the police to do something, I know I did on Saturday night, however I know deep down that there is not much they can do. Most kids who break the law, know exactly how to play it and know that they are "untouchable".

I do think it is sad that in most cases if the police were invovled and these kids taken home by them, then no doubt the police would get a mouthful from their parents. One occassion on a few streets from me, the young lads who were breaking the wing mirrors off phoned their parents on their mobiles phones to get them to come. A couple of the neighbours had grabbed the boys and were holding them until the police came. And instead of the parents being angry with the boys for wrecking the cars, they were effing and blinding at the men and the police for mishandling their "precious" children!

We do often see cases where the Police are seen in bad light, but the same could be said of Social workers. Both groups of workers do an excellent job but it is only the cases where it all goes horribly wrong that is highlighted.

I do feel that more should be done against the youth of today who show no respect to other people's property, but then has already been said the Police can't do much with current policies that are in place.

11-11-2004, 04:38 PM
As I'm married to one I'd have to say they do a great job!

The trouble is that the police do their job but the rest of the justice system often lets the public down by reducing charges and handing out pathetic sentences that are just no deterrent. But I think the biggest problems are the lack of manpower and the overwhelming amount of form filling, red tape, beaurocracy, bah, blah bah. There are also too many do gooders around who are doing too much for the perpetrators and not even for the victims.

And I know what you mean about yobbery (or the baseball hat brigade!) Bella, it really is the scourge of modern day society and a problem that really needs tackling.

I think that from the age of 13 people should be shoved on an island somewhere until the age of about 21. 'Kevin Island' they could call it! (That's a joke btw)
11-11-2004, 04:46 PM
maxine Wrote:I think that from the age of 13 people should be shoved on an island somewhere until the age of about 21. 'Kevin Island' they could call it! (That's a joke btw)

It might be a joke, but i think its a blummin good idea :ninja:

I hate the yobs of today. My car has recently been vandalised due to some scrote putting a screw driver in the tyre, and up the paintwork. Why ???? Just for kicks im sure.

There are two baseball capheaded boys who walk down our road, and i inveriably see them with a bottle of vodka swigging out of it. They then chuck their empy bottle in the street for dogs and cats to walk in. Why ????

Get them off the street for gowds sake before they do any real damage.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
11-11-2004, 04:47 PM
maxine Wrote:I think that from the age of 13 people should be shoved on an island somewhere until the age of about 21. 'Kevin Island' they could call it! (That's a joke btw)

Yeah, Max but it just might work!! :laugh: I think the young people today just expect too much. My nephew has gone back to school for 5th year and he is entitled to something like £30 a week! Anyway 3 days into the week he has spent the lot and then asks his mum for dinner money, she quite rightly refused! He had spent the money on CD's, DVD's and general rubbish. He was appalled that his mother was going to let him "starve", but I would have done the same!

Let's bring back boot camps but the thing is as well more & more girls are being involved with the yob culture. If I had been brought home by the police, my parents would have hung me out to dry!! :ohmy:

Btw Max, hats off to your hubby!

11-11-2004, 04:49 PM
Bella Wrote:If I had been brought home by the police, my parents would have hung me out to dry!! :ohmy:

Btw Max, hats off to your hubby!

Me too, they would of dis-owned me Huh I do wish sometimes that i lived in the 50's where men were couteous (sp) to women, and people respected one another.

Maybe i watch too many films, but it always seemed nicer, and gentler in the 50's.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Do you have to get drunk to have a good time? Dolores 68 6,160 08-06-2007 07:40 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  Should the Police decide what duties they carry out? Dolores 12 1,311 08-10-2006 04:00 PM
Last Post: Sammboelyn
  McDonalds smells good doesn't it ! gatubela 13 1,548 31-08-2006 10:56 AM
  How many good times do not involve alcohol IsLe Of WeAtHeR 24 1,951 08-06-2006 03:21 AM
  The Jury ... 12 good men (or women) and true... Dolores 13 1,545 30-08-2005 06:59 AM
Last Post: sayangmouse
  Our Food - More Harm Than Good? Ceridwen 35 2,848 19-06-2005 02:57 PM
Last Post: Ceridwen
  Do You Believe Tony Blair acted in good faith? Hugh Jaas 15 1,961 03-05-2005 07:19 PM
Last Post: karenh
  Good and Evil Cockney 67 5,219 14-03-2005 03:44 PM
Last Post: longshot
  who is Good and who is Evil Cockney 20 1,773 09-03-2005 02:19 PM
Last Post: Isis