Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oyster Cards
02-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Oyster Cards

What's the deal? In London now, they want you to have an Oyster Card to travel with. Bus fares are £1 with an oyster card and £2 cash. I won't even go into tube fares!! Is it about Big Brother state again? For instance, my daughter has an Oyster Card for school, we had to apply for one giving all her details etc, and she has to swipe it every time she boards a bus. She is under 16. I'm not sure how I feel about this. What are they doing with all this info anyway? I hardly ever use public transport as it's much cheaper for me to use my car and pay for parking and it's cleaner and less of a hassle. So I don't have an Oyster Card. I can't stand Ken Livingstone and his cronies. Can't wait for someone else to be elected to his office.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Oyster Cards
I doubt oyster cards are being used to monitor the whereabouts of individuals, but you never know. I expect, if they are using the information for anything, it'll be to work out who uses which modes of transport and when, so they can jack another price rise on people who have no option but to travel by public transport.

Hey, wasn't the congestion charge put in place to raise funding to improve TfL? What do you mean they havent spent a penny of it on improving the bus/train networks? But Ken promised! That's an outrage :wink_kiss

Bollox to potplants
Find all posts by this user
09-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Oyster Cards
Tigger...I have an Oyster card...basically, even though I only travel to London 6-7 times a year, it means I can travel around London cheaper than if I bought daily travel cards.

It's fab....£3 gets you the card (that money is refundable should you ever wish to return the card) then you can put as much or as little money on it as you wish.

the reason why it's cheaper to travel this way is because they are trying to encourage more people to travel with the Oyster card as it's faster through the gates/getting onto buses than using regular tickets or cash.

What's more you don't have to use it all time as it doesn't expire...whatever money you have on the card stays on the card until it is spent for as long as you need it to. Very handy for us infrequent travellers!

Oh and money has been spent on the buses...the old fleet are being replaced by new buses...

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
10-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Oyster Cards
Went on the bus the other day for the first time in ages (I get those little ticket thingies in the book and one lasts for about a year) and everyone seems to be using Oyster, no-one pays any more, not that I saw anyway.:w00t:

:sun: : PUNKYFISH
10-01-2007, 01:11 PM
Oyster Cards
Punkyfish Wrote:Went on the bus the other day for the first time in ages (I get those little ticket thingies in the book and one lasts for about a year) and everyone seems to be using Oyster, no-one pays any more, not that I saw anyway.:w00t:

Get this, In London we've got that new fangled electrickery stuff.

It seems the Iron snakes though no longer breath fire but glide magically as if blown by the wind, I believe they are now known as trains.
10-01-2007, 11:19 PM
Oyster Cards
wth is an Oyster card??

Haydon

[Image: pot001.gif]jobs kent
11-01-2007, 03:55 AM
Oyster Cards
Haydon...an Oyster card is a new way to pay for using London public transport.

Basically it works a little like a pay as you go type card. You pay an initial £3 to get the card (this is refundable on return) and then can put money on it (like a mobile phone). You then swipe the card across the yellow discs on the gates that lead onto the underground or as you board a bus. It saves having to carry change around in your pockets and doesn't expire if you don't use it for a while...also because it speeds things along it is cheaper to travel as they are trying to encourage more people to use them.

You can get them from any ticket counter on the underground...just ask for an Oyster card!

I believe the reason they call it Oyster is because it goes with the saying 'The world is your Oyster' or something like that...can't think of any other explaination...can you?

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
12-01-2007, 02:46 AM
Oyster Cards
It sounds like a good idea to me... don't know the rates, but it'd be very handy to have (though you would inevitably have the problems of losing a card or running out of credit, would you not?)

It always annoys me how people go on about using public transport more to help reduce pollution and whatever, then you ask to go 1 mile on the bus and get "£2.50" as a response!

Public transport needs to be cheaper, friendlier and easier then people will use it! Simple!

There are three types of mathmatician:
Those who can count and those who can't!
15-01-2007, 09:19 AM
Oyster Cards
Fly...you can top the card up at the ticket machines...the only problem is that you do have to keep track of what you are spending a bit but often as not when you swipe in or out of a station the little screen on the gate will tell you how much you have left.:good:

19-01-2007, 04:26 AM
Oyster Cards
Omg, you all are making me miss london way too much!! I still have my Oyster card from when I lived there...everytime I see it I remember the days of riding the bus to work and taking the tube to Notting Hill or Waterloo.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Identity Cards Northern angel 3 670 29-11-2005 02:16 PM
Last Post: Northern angel