Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PVR Do you have one?
21-11-2004, 04:07 AM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2004 04:21 AM by Taffy.)
PVR Do you have one?

I am going to buy a PVR (Personal Video Recorder) shortly.
My understanding is, that it is basically a twin digital TV receiver which enables you to watch one digital TV channel and record another on hard disc, pause and reply live TV etc, with DVD picture quality. (Like sky + but for freeview)

I’ve got sky at the moment; I don’t think its value for money as I rarely watch anything other than the free to air channels. I have thought about getting sky + but that will push up my monthly outlay on top of paying for sky + box. Where as PVR will enable me to better manage the many programmes on the free to air channels.

What I Would like to ask you guys is; :blink:

Does anybody own a PVR ?
What make model etc it is ?
What advice can you give me?

Thanks for your help
Smile
:tv_happy:

♪♪♪♪ If there´s a bustle in your hedgerow don’t be alarmed now. It´s just a spring clean for the May-Queen. Yes there two paths you can go by. But in the long run. There´s still time to change the road you´re on ♪♪♪♪ Smile :applause: ♪
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2004, 09:26 AM
PVR Do you have one?
I've never heard of one Taffy!
21-11-2004, 10:05 AM (This post was last modified: 21-11-2004 10:19 AM by survivorfan.)
PVR Do you have one?
Taffy - I did some research because I wanted to buy a DVD recorder. I already have a freeview box so I didn't need a PVR (which as you say has a built in freeview receiver).

The 'What Hi Fi' Awards 2004 magazine reviews what they think are the best recorders.

Best Freeview PVR - Humax PVR-8000T. Freeview channels only. 40Gb hard drive (20 hrs recording time) £150. Verdict: Fine performance at a very reasonable price, this fine digital recorder fits the 'simple but brilliant' category - as a straightforward solution to the recording question it's a true superstar' BUT I AM NOT SURE IF IT HAS TWO DIGITAL TUNERS SO YOU CAN WATCH ONE CHANNEL WHILE YOU RECORD ANOTHER

If you need more info, there is a website called DIGITALSPY which has a forum on digital recorders.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
21-11-2004, 10:33 AM
PVR Do you have one?
Fusion do a twin tuner one - here's the digital spy forum link for it here
I found it best to shop around on the internet, pricerunner will give the cheapest available price.

21-11-2004, 02:31 PM
PVR Do you have one?
survivorfan Wrote:Fusion do a twin tuner one - here's the digital spy forum link for it here
I found it best to shop around on the internet, pricerunner will give the cheapest available price.

Cheers survivorfan that's what I have come with after hours of research
Smile

♪♪♪♪ If there´s a bustle in your hedgerow don’t be alarmed now. It´s just a spring clean for the May-Queen. Yes there two paths you can go by. But in the long run. There´s still time to change the road you´re on ♪♪♪♪ Smile :applause: ♪
21-11-2004, 06:10 PM
PVR Do you have one?
Taffy - I've got Sky + and I must say it is amazing :cool2:

It has made recording programmes so much easier, even if you decide on the spur of the moment to record something, you know you won't miss it. And you don't have to be restricted to a set time for anything. I've often watched a programme an hour later because it suited me more.

I'm not sure what Freeview ones are like, but if they are anything like Sky + I would definately say go for it!

You're not born lazy, it's an acquired skill

[Image: pot004.gif] [Image: egg03064.gif][Image: 90725.gif][Image: 79735.gif]
22-11-2004, 08:55 AM
PVR Do you have one?
Just wondering Taffy - if you got a PVR, what would you do if you recorded something you wanted to keep forever like a favourite movie. I mean - how would you save it off the PVR?

22-11-2004, 10:33 AM
PVR Do you have one?
Mars Wrote:Taffy - I've got Sky + and I must say it is amazing :cool2:

It has made recording programmes so much easier, even if you decide on the spur of the moment to record something, you know you won't miss it. And you don't have to be restricted to a set time for anything. I've often watched a programme an hour later because it suited me more.

I'm not sure what Freeview ones are like, but if they are anything like Sky + I would definately say go for it!

Thanks for that MARS, Smile

I was thinking of upgrading to sky+ but it would have meant paying £40+ month
We have never felt the need to view sport or the movies channels.

The latest FUSION twin tuner acts like sky+ with 2 digital receivers and 40 hours of disk space (which can be upgraded). It’s like having sky+ but with the free 2 air channels.

I am also sure that you can archive to a DVD recorder, I am getting it all set up over the next 2 weeks and will post an update

:tv_happy::mellow::cool2:

22-11-2004, 10:55 PM
PVR Do you have one?
Yes, you can copy the programmes to VCR/DVD. You just play them and record the sky channel on the recorder, just like you would a normal sky programme.

You can just do it at a time to suit you.

You're not born lazy, it's an acquired skill

[Image: pot004.gif] [Image: egg03064.gif][Image: 90725.gif][Image: 79735.gif]
07-12-2004, 02:59 AM
PVR Do you have one?
Taffy Wrote:Thanks for that MARS, Smile

I was thinking of upgrading to sky+ but it would have meant paying £40+ month
We have never felt the need to view sport or the movies channels.

The latest FUSION twin tuner acts like sky+ with 2 digital receivers and 40 hours of disk space (which can be upgraded). It’s like having sky+ but with the free 2 air channels.

I am also sure that you can archive to a DVD recorder, I am getting it all set up over the next 2 weeks and will post an update

:tv_happy::mellow::cool2:

Well I've had it for a week or so now,
Brill it does everything it says on the can.
Got it from Currys (Told them in the shop that it was cheaper online and they matched the price Smile )

This is what the can says

Converts your existing TV to Digital
Combines a Freeview Receiver & DVR
Stores over 40 hours of footage
Watch one digital channel while recording another
Record two programmes while watching a previous recording at the same time
Pause and rewind live TV up to 30 minutes
Schedule recordings days in advance with the easy to use 7-Day EPG