Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Party
16-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Party

I thought i would share this with you .... mainly cos there is nowt else to read on this forum :bag:

Im having a party on Saturday, and im really nervous. I have NEVER had a party before in my life, not even as a kid.

But im not looking forward to it. Basically we invited about 15 of our mates from the pub, and its kinda escalated. Some of them have invited other people - and i dont know how many are coming, and who im supposed to be catering for !!! Its really annoyed me actually. I think there will be about 20 people in total.

Last night i ordered all the food online, but i am only doing sausages in rolls, burgers in buns, lots of fried onions, sauses etc ..... basic stuff really. It still cost me £110 :shocking:

But there is one bloke who REALLY annoys me, but i had to invite him as his girlfriend is one of my best mates. He is someone who gets quite loud, abusive and obnoxious. I wanted a garden party as we have spent the last few pennies of our savings on a new carpet / rug in the lounge, so i didnt want him knocking his drink over and leaving burn holes in the carpet (which is what he does down the pub). But when he read the invite and saw i had said 'bring something warm to wear' he said "if its cold, im going to be indoors". Well - i dont want him indoors ... ITS A GARDEN PARTY :wallbash:

So Mr.B and I have been worrying and thinking of ways to block the lounge off (we dont even have a door on their yet !!). I will clear up the dining room, and make that presentable if he wants to sit indoors, but that room really isnt big enough for more than 5-6 people.

Anyway, i saw the weather this morning, and it is going to rain like its never rained before on saturday - so now im well and truly b*ggered. I dont know whether to invest in a marqueue (sp) thingie, although i cant afford it.

Look - im all of a worry, and its supposed to be a joint birthday party for me and Mr.B. I dont want to come across on the day as a worry wart and party pooper - but i know i will be stone cold sober worrying all day until they all bog off.

I tell you .... i dont think i will have another party again - EVER

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2006, 09:10 AM
Party
Make it a beach party with a beachwear dress code...then it doesn't matter if people get wet. They can chose between swimwear/wetsuits/fishing gear etc

Also if she's one of your best mates she'll understand when you tell her you'd rather people refrained from using the lounge as you have a new carpet etc.
Find all posts by this user
16-05-2006, 09:12 AM
Party
I think hosting a party is quite a stressful thing. We have a none smoking house and our close friends and family respect that but when people who you don`t really know that well are invited then we tell them they must go outside they look at us as if we are stupid ! It is amazing how the cost mounts up as well for just a few basic items. Most things you worry about nearly always turn out ok in the end. Just make sure you are not rushed off your feet all day long. Take time in the afternoon to give yourself a bit of space and have a drink or two before the rabble arrive.

PS My invite must have got lost in the post !!!
16-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Party
Thanks for the party idea Slipper - i kinda like it (although i will definately NOT be in a bikini, bagsy i have the wet suit) :laugh:

I know what you mean about the smoking Seabreeze. Mr.B and i do smoke, but never in the house. Now i dont mind people smoking in the house if they wish - but when people are a bit drunk i often see them drop their fag - hence the worry about the carpet. Also - this one lad is into wacky backy, and i really dont want the stench of that in my house !!!

Anyway, i think i will venture into Woolworths this lunchtime and see if they have any gazebos on offer. We already have one, but its small. Two would be better. We have patio heaters, so hopefully people wont get too cold.

We have asked people to bring a bottle - but last night i bought some gin, beer and vodka with the mixers. I kept saying to Mr.B "I havent got enough booze" but he keeps telling me im being silly as the guests are bringing their own. I still think i need more beer though :bored:

16-05-2006, 10:42 AM
Party
Are we all invited Bonsai? Promise to bring a bottle, and not to throw up on your new carpet.
16-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Party
MariaRob Wrote:Are we all invited Bonsai? Promise to bring a bottle, and not to throw up on your new carpet.

I cant afford all you lot as well !!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

16-05-2006, 10:56 AM
Party
Hello Bonsai,

Have confidence, your party will be a success. The weather might not be as bad as predicted. I have confidence that your party will work out.

Sounds like you might have over catered a bit, as barbeques and garden parties all tend to be good excuses to drink more than eat. So here's a little tip, put out and prepare 20% less than what you have bought and freeze it, that way you won't have so much waste. What you freeze you and Mr B can always have a couple of weeks later.

You could try placing a clothes horse full of clothes you are airing, as a barrier to the room with the new carpet leaving the rest of house accessible for essential loo visits. Buy an extra roll or so of loo roll as a garden full of people could well use a good sized roll up, hate to see yourself short.

Good luck and try not to worry.

I am with you in spirit.

Maureen
Northern angel.

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
16-05-2006, 02:46 PM
Party
Is Anthea Turner a secret member of our forum? :unsure:

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
16-05-2006, 02:59 PM
Party
You wish Wink

16-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Party
Groucho Wrote:Is Anthea Turner a secret member of our forum? :unsure:

Hello Groucho,

I don't think so, so maybe someone reminds you of her. Although you never know whether Anthea checks in for a laugh and a read do you?

Maureen
Northern angel.

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Taffy...Party On It's Ya Birthday! Coastie 11 1,876 29-06-2007 04:52 PM
Last Post: msgirl
  Grouch Alert....It's his Xmas Party Slipper 11 2,059 15-12-2006 01:20 PM
Last Post: Groucho
  Party Wall Agreements tigger 5 1,020 20-07-2006 01:29 PM
Last Post: mikado
  Help with 70's dress for a party... Cat 32 3,183 13-01-2006 09:07 PM
Last Post: Cat
  On line New Year's Eve Party..... Dolores 47 4,117 05-01-2006 08:59 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  Come to My Virtual Party.......... Patsy 147 5,983 03-04-2005 04:55 PM
Last Post: Patsy
  Do you know when to leave the party.... Dolores 14 1,898 11-01-2005 04:30 PM
Last Post: claire
  Can we throw a Birthday party for Cat!!?? claire 8 1,167 07-01-2005 09:03 PM
Last Post: floopy
  SO Masked Ball - The Party Ceridwen 371 12,164 03-01-2005 07:22 PM
Last Post: floopy
  Please tell us some Christmas party stories!!! claire 18 2,187 29-12-2004 09:34 AM
Last Post: Bob