Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paul Potts - One Chance - Review
12-05-2008, 09:58 PM

"The morons of Britain buy an album.."

And whaddya know? It's from a reality show. We didn't see THAT coming did we? But then, where else are the morons of Britain going to hear music? If it's not sung in front of a crowd of ignorant, banner waving single-mothers and a panel of "judges" then its simply not music to them.

Sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself, aren't I? Let me introduce this latest reality show goof (and, indeed, the reality show itself). Because we have a NEW show from which the bowels of the music business can now have a movement. "Britain's Got Talent" - which turned out to be "Britain's got lots of stage school dancing brats, talentless weirdo's and.. Paul Potts."

Yes, Paul Potts - a man who's "moving" life story had one of the judges in tears. What was so moving about it I've yet to discover; he was married, he had a full time job and he was healthy. Seems to me he was better off than a hell of a lot of people, but the tears came because of the fact that Paul Potts looks like a shaved walrus. Annnnd, um.. THAT was his moving story. Still, gotta love the fact they've got Paul facing away from the camera for the front cover. Is it to look moody? Is it look mysterious? No - its because his teeth look like plasticine.

So - he was the winner of Britain's Got Talent - and what was the (supposed) first prize? To play in front of the Queen. That, of course, was rendered utterly pointless when, ten seconds into Paul winning, Simon Cowell (yes, this is his show too) announced "you're going to be in the studio on Monday recording your first album." And the Queen was never mentioned again. Because all this; the tears, the greedy, grasping, manipulative phone-ins were all for one thing - for Cowell to release yet another album of uninspired cover versions on the world.

So, its opera this time around, which I assume is to give it a more sophisticated sheen. Fat chance - it's basically The Beginners Guide To Opera, with ten of the most formulaic, done to death opera songs that the ignorant masses will have heard of from movie soundtracks. Oh, and an Italian version of "Everybody Hurts", the only REM song people buying this will have heard of.

OK, yeah, he's a good singer - so what? I mean, really - SO WHAT? Does he actually ADD anything to the music? Does he have any input, any genuine PASSION for music? Does he deserve a record deal? Does he deserve a NUMBER ONE record? Of course he doesn't - yet because he was on a reality show (and more to the point - a TALENT show) he was immediately guaranteed a number one record. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the most depressing thing.

The upside? He'll be yet another 1 trick pony; dropped after one album and resigned to singing at holiday camps for the rest of his life, as the drooling, mentally deficient public who buy this sort of slop line up to buy the next drone shoved down their throats, all in the name of, gak, entertainment.

I feel sorry for whoever owns this.

Don't abuse children, or else they'll turn out like me.
http://www.thecurmudgeon.proboards88.com - The site to save your life.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm confused - why do you watch all of these shows if you dislike them so much?

And why on earth would you want to listen to the album?

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
12-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Of course I wouldn't listen to the album. Are you nuts?

Don't abuse children, or else they'll turn out like me.
http://www.thecurmudgeon.proboards88.com - The site to save your life.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-05-2008, 10:12 PM
Yes. Yes, she is.
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Eminem - Mockingbird - Review The Curmudgeon 14 3,014 15-05-2008 10:19 PM
Last Post: The Curmudgeon
  Fergie - The Dutchess - Review The Curmudgeon 4 1,480 15-05-2008 02:19 PM
  Mel C - I Want Candy - Review The Curmudgeon 1 1,065 13-05-2008 02:37 PM
  Basshunter - Now You're Gone - Review The Curmudgeon 11 2,695 13-05-2008 11:23 AM
Last Post: Groucho
  Soulja Boy - Crank Dat - Review The Curmudgeon 1 1,023 13-05-2008 01:24 AM
  Leon Jackson - When You Believe - Review The Curmudgeon 14 2,217 13-05-2008 01:03 AM
  Scooter - Jumping All Over The World - Review The Curmudgeon 27 3,253 12-05-2008 11:45 PM
Last Post: Mars
  Cascade - Everytime We Touch - Review The Curmudgeon 1 775 12-05-2008 10:07 PM
  Michael Jackson - Thriller 25th Anniversary Review The Curmudgeon 3 975 12-05-2008 07:49 AM
  Sam and Amanda - Barbie Girl - Review The Curmudgeon 3 967 12-05-2008 07:48 AM