Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pay increase
26-08-2005, 07:55 PM
Pay increase

Do you always get one? Would you be outraged if you didn't, and if it was going to be lower than previous years would you expect your boss to tell you the reasons why.
What the best worst pay increase you ever had?

Our boss always back date ours by a couple of months, so I was surprised to get it in todays wage slip as only one month back dated.
he never actualy told me I was getting one, but other peeps who got theirs on time yesterday had discovered this.The arsey bloke isn't talking to me becasue I dared (how very dare I) ask him for my wage slip this morning, the day after I've been paid. Never had to ask for it before, so he kept me waiting all day and when he did hand it to me he wouldn't let go of the envelope :w00t: nutter, he then said very sarchastically thank you.
Hmm think he wanted me to thank him for my own wage slip - my property that he had no right to sit on for two days.
Anyway... going slightly OT there.
Answer the question. I'd be interested if anyone in the history of pay increases has got lower than what I got today

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Pay increase
2005 worldwide pay survey [Image: spacer.gif] United Kingdom [Image: spacer.gif] London, 6 December 2004

• Pay in the EU is likely to rise by 2.1 percentage points above inflation, on average
  • UK salaries are forecast to increase by 3.4% while inflation is likely to rise by 1.8%

One of my major corporate clients won't be giving increases this year; anotheris setting the upper limit at 5% for exceptional performance; with the norm at 2%.

With my SME clients, most are settling between 2 and 3%.

Hope that helps :unsure:

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
26-08-2005, 08:14 PM
Pay increase
sorry Bob ... but what % pay rise did you get?

I've usually worked places where the average pay rise is between 2-3%. In the 80s I worked for a London building firm who's pay rises were in the region of 10% with a month's salary as a bonus! boy I didn't know how lucky I was in them days!

I've sat in meetings between Management and Unions and taken notes. The "cat and mouse" games they play are just mind boggling! The Management know what they're gonna give, the Union know thery're gonna ask for more than there gonna get and eventually the reach a compromise ... what a merry dance it all is!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
26-08-2005, 08:20 PM
Pay increase
Hope Fee helped you Bobski, swooshed reet over my head.

However.

I work for the Council and every year they very kindly up you a point on the scale and give you an incremental rise, your not talking £1000, not even £100, maybe £50 a year, but every year its there.

This year however I have hoofed myself up 3 scales (on my suggestion) and had quite a hefty rise. Then again I deserve it, my job has gone from typing up class lists to running the nursery schools budget, and that of the new Baby Unit which is a payed for facility, credit control of this new self financing baby unit - I phone up or meet face to face parents who are behind with their payments, helping to decide which staff can be employed from year to year and attending governors meetings to explain this. It's quite a responsiblity and I think I deserve every penny.

They are supporting me with my accounts training so I hasten to add that I have no problem with the work that I do, I love it infact, I have a great boss who supports and encourages me and the future looks bright.
26-08-2005, 08:30 PM
Pay increase
Dol I got 1.98% which after what everyone else has written looks fairly normal but it's cos I'm comparing it to what everyone else at my work got. I don't know everyone but most got 3.5
last year my boss told me everyone was getting 3% but I got 2.6 and everyone else got 3.6.
Guess I'm just miffed
In my last job I regularly got over 5%

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
26-08-2005, 10:07 PM
Pay increase
Do you get a performance review? Are the others male?

I'd want to know why I got less!!

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
27-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Pay increase
the pay rise procedure in my work is the most complicated I have ever encountered in 21 years of working. We all have our job descriptions and our own level within the job. There are certain things within each level that make up that level & you have to prove, with evidence, that you do the specifics within that level. There are also 'behaviours' that are expected at whatever level you are at & you have to prove them too.

If you want to move up a level, you have to prove you do the stuff for the level above. If you want to stay the level you are, you have to prove you do that stuff. If you don't, there is a very real chance that you will reduce to the level below.

Each level has it's own pay scale & dependent on your evidence, you can usually work out your pay increase approximately. People don't often get nothing but it has happened.

The thinking behind it is that you are responsible for your own development & payrise but it is a real pain in the behind.

I'm usually thin & gorgeous - today is my day off
http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/egg03063.gif
27-08-2005, 11:38 AM
Pay increase
Fee For All Wrote:Do you get a performance review? Are the others male?

I'd want to know why I got less!!

No fee, we don't don't things the normal way at our place.
of course i do want to know why, but I'm a bit afraid to talk to my boss.
the others are male and female. I work just as hard. I was recently called into the boss' office for a dressing down for verbally fighting with another girl. He told me he didn't have favourites which got a raised eye brow from me, and at one point in the conversation he had a right go at me as he took one comment very personaly and said I'd as good as called him a bad manager, when I tried saying I didn't mean it like that, he acted like a teenager and said it's too late now you've said it. So I'm guessing that this is the reason why my increase was lower. I think that If I do manage to get a private word with him there will be no going back and I'll be out of a job. I either take it and lump it or find myself with no job and no reference. I do want to leave but employment in my field in this area is limited and I can't aford to move at the moment.
So I guess I'l just be thankful I got anything and shut up. From what most have said on here 2% isn't that bad. It's the mesage behind the 2% that stinks :cry:

27-08-2005, 12:14 PM
Pay increase
They have just done a big regrading of council employees jobs up here (job sizing they call it)and some people are threatened with pay cuts of up to 20%!!

Needless to say people are up in arms about it and there is talk of strike action.

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
27-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Pay increase
Rob, is it Single Status this is what our Council has just implimented. I had to reorganise all the staff's pay - except teachers, they stayed on their own scale - and some people did come worse off - really didn't see the point of it, just a lot of work.