Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Per mile charge
18-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Per mile charge

I watched BBC London News tonight and I was infuriated. Maybe you have seen it already, but it was the first time for me. In four years time (and this will definitely happen) every car is to be fitted with a DVD device that will act like a Sat Nav and it will send out a signal as to how far you are driving, what speed and your destinations. Basically it tracks every journey you make in your car and you will be charged a fee for each mile you travel. The initial figures (not confirmed) are that it will cost £20 extra per week. I am outraged at this, not only by the charge but the fact that my journeys will be monitored. I find this very intrusive. What about you?

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Per mile charge
tigger Wrote:The initial figures (not confirmed) are that it will cost £20 extra per week. I am outraged at this, not only by the charge but the fact that my journeys will be monitored. I find this very intrusive. What about you?

Yet another New Labour stealth tax, wheeled out under the banner of green initiatives.

It's about money, nothing else.

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
Find all posts by this user
18-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Per mile charge
Do you reckon people might start realising this and get them out of power though? I don't think you and myself can do it on our own grouch!:unsure:

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
18-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Per mile charge
They would probably think I'd removed mine since I only do around 40 miles a week anyway! :wacko:

The worry here is it could be used to monitor you speeds aswell..oooer...I'd pick up a few tickets for sure enroute to Newquay and back! :unsure:

I think they were on the right track by putting higher taxes on the gas guzzling vehicles...there are far to many Mum truckers about who simply do not need to be driving a honking great 4x4 or people carrier...they would survive just as well with a Micra!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
19-04-2006, 02:06 AM
Per mile charge
Do you know I must have imagined this threat as having gone away. If I remember rightly it was being discussed some time last year. The original suggestion coming from Mr Darling MP at the same time as petrol cost rises, diesel cost rises, tolls on certain roads, reductions in charges for those willing to car share for work, and all sort of other schemes in an attempt to reduce traffic congestion. The biggest bone of contention was the definition of key workers, which left out large sections of those who work in the city or on its fringe.

The idea outraged me then, it outrages me today. In fact if this tax on the British worker ever comes in, the government deserves to fall never to rise again for a 100 years.

There nothing but a bunch of F _ _ _ _ _ g rissoles.

If you knew how much tax you were paying to the government on your diesel and petrol, you'd be equally outraged. As British motorists, transport firms and haulage companies pay the highest tax on petrol and diesel throughout Europe.

This is a subject I touched upon in a thread on public transport a short time ago.

Crazy.

Maureen
Northern angel.
P S We need some french protestors over here.

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
19-04-2006, 03:49 AM
Per mile charge
I had tried to convince hubby to get OnStar for our vehicles, especially the family car and msboy #1's car in case you get lost or get in a wreck or whatever, you just push that button and they have a live person talking to you in your car and getting you help or whatever. No, says he...it's just another way of the Government to track him and he'll not have any traffic with it. So, I guess I just hope I have a good signal for the mobile in the "Deliverance" counties I have to go through to get to the hometown and to check on Granny in the nursing home, so I can *HP for the Mississippi Highway Patrol!!

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure:
19-04-2006, 07:34 AM
Per mile charge
My first reaction is that this sounds like another of those 'theyr'e banning hot cross buns' stories whose main puprose in life is to give an excuse for a rant against thye government. What makes me a bit dubious is Tigger's 'this wiill definitely happen' because nothing is definite.

Can anyone (Tigger?) give us a link to thye full story?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
19-04-2006, 08:35 AM
Per mile charge
Both the author and the journalist pointed out that this was a definite thing. They said it will happen in four years time and that the logistics were just going through now, but it has been approved by the Government. Give us a few mins to see if I can find the link.

19-04-2006, 08:42 AM
Per mile charge
Here is a link to the BBC website, but it is not exactly the same story that was on the news last night. I don't know how to find that. It was on BBC London News at 6.30pm if anyone knows how to find that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4917478.stm

19-04-2006, 08:50 AM
Per mile charge
Are these the road-charge changes that were mooted last year? Instead of road tax and petrol duty (allegedly), we would pay depending on use. More for high congestion areas and motorways; less in rural areas.

There's a BBC report from last summer when it was announced, and another one from this week folowing the release (I think) of a report from the Independent Traffic Commission.

I heard someone talking about it on the Today programme yesterday, but was only just awake enough to have my curiosity roused :laugh:

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  paying per mile kookycat 12 1,235 03-09-2006 10:05 PM
Last Post: Sammboelyn
  City Congestion Charge Bella 3 911 04-02-2005 10:46 AM
Last Post: tigger