Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plan to cut term-time holidays
18-09-2005, 08:52 AM

[Image: _40766562_beach203_ap.jpg] Holiday prices fall when school terms begin

The Government has struck a deal with travel companies over cheaper holidays in an attempt to stop parents taking their children on term-time trips.

Some families take their children out of school to avoid high prices during official school holidays. The scheme, called Every Lesson Counts, comes after it was estimated that one in six truants is away with their parents on a family holiday. Incentives will include discounts, free child places and early booking deals.

===============

And about time too! It always was a rip off, I saved over £700 taking my two Grandkids out of school early for a trip to Florida a few years back. Mind, the school did insist that they had to do homework on the flights and 1/2 hour study a day so they wouldn't fall behind......one was 6 and the other 10, I told them to get lost!

The other rip off was because I was the only adult, I had to pay full price everything for the 10 year old, and was classed as 2 adults, 1 child.

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2005, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2005 09:30 AM by Dolores.)
It is a complete rip off isn't it Eternity!

You can always tell when the half terms are cos the prices in the brochures suddenly go through the roof.

Single parents are penalised too. You having to pay for two adults instead of one adult two children is just daylight robbery and discriminatory.

Also at Disneyland Paris they charge full price from 11 years of age ... it's just ridiculous! It makes my blood boil! :ranting:

Talking of prices for single parents (which I know is slightly off topic, apologies! Blush ), but when i went to Butlins this year I was quoted a cheaper price for two adults and two children than I was for one adult and two children ... something like £100 difference ... extraordinary!

Any political party that promised a complete overhaul of holidays and the prices they charge would get my vote!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Dolores Wrote:Talking of prices for single parents (which I know is slightly off topic, apologies! Blush ), but when i went to Butlins this year I was quoted a cheaper price for two adults and two children than I was for one adult and two children ... something like £100 difference ... extraordinary!

That's unbelievable Dol:ohmy: They should at least charge you the same price, not more. It's not as though your using anymore of the apartment than a 2adult/2kids family, is it?

Back O/T, the prices of holidays outside of term time is ridiculous.
This year we went on holiday in May and I took my kids out of school, our holiday cost £200. In high season the same holiday costs £500 upwards.:ohmy:

This needs to be sorted out.
We want to go on holiday next year, but I don't want to take the kids out of school as my oldest will be doing his year 2 Sats exam (my little baby doing exams:sad: )
But I don't want to spend a stupid amount of money when I really shouldn't need to.

[Image: 429.gif]
18-09-2005, 02:04 PM
I wish they would come up with a scheme to ban the rather silly "Bank Holiday", or double Sunday as it should be known. It just makes people think they should "do some thing" and ends up as a big damp squib and an excuse to drink a lot.

**I heart Northern Soul**
18-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Sam was in a footy tournament in Spain over Easter, Mr Cat and Ross were going too - I was told I had to write to their schools and ASK permission for them to miss 4 days of school. Bull, I wrote to the schools and TOLD them that they would be off for the 4 days - End Of.

I think any child spending time with their family is just as important as anything they learn in school - most children learn or improve their swimming skills on holiday, they learn about different cultures, foods and traditions. They make new friends and gain new experiences.

Obviously when you are in the final years and taking exams it would not be sensible, but up until upper school* (years 9 -11) I wouldn't have it made the slightest difference.

*Bedfordshire is one of the only a couple of counties that the education follows Lower School, Middle School, Upper School - possibly not for much longer though - discussions are in place.
18-09-2005, 02:22 PM
Cat Wrote:*Bedfordshire is one of the only a couple of counties that the education follows Lower School, Middle School, Upper School - possibly not for much longer though - discussions are in place.

West Sussex is one of the others!
18-09-2005, 02:24 PM
ilovesurvivor Wrote:West Sussex is one of the others!

Do you know where else or is it just us??

I quite like it, but have never experience the Secondary School System so can't really compare - what are your thoughts?
18-09-2005, 02:31 PM
I don't know of anywhere else but that is not to say there isn't anywhere.

I was brought up in East Sussex which has the Secondary School System, so it was very strange for me when my children went the other route. I really don't think it makes a lot of difference to the children be honest except that maybe it keeps them children for a little longer.
18-09-2005, 04:18 PM
Most Independant Schools still run on that system - and to be honest, under new OFSTED Regs it may become more prevelant in future. Does break my heart when my little ones go over the the Middle School at 8 years old, but they do all come back to see me though! :thumbsup:

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
18-09-2005, 04:21 PM
Eternity Wrote:Plan to cut term-time holidays

[Image: _40766562_beach203_ap.jpg] Holiday prices fall when school terms begin

The Government has struck a deal with travel companies over cheaper holidays in an attempt to stop parents taking their children on term-time trips.

Some families take their children out of school to avoid high prices during official school holidays. The scheme, called Every Lesson Counts, comes after it was estimated that one in six truants is away with their parents on a family holiday. Incentives will include discounts, free child places and early booking deals.

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!! :w00t: about bleeding time! Mr Blair can you shorten the summer holidays too please? :naughty:

How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.
Benjamin Disraeli

[Image: ake.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Time to release Ronnie Biggs or not? Seabreeze 12 2,007 26-08-2007 12:05 AM
Last Post: Normal1
  Do you have to get drunk to have a good time? Dolores 68 6,867 08-06-2007 07:40 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  Time Fees for the care of the elderly were sorted out. Northern angel 15 1,775 20-07-2006 12:05 PM
Last Post: Northern angel
  A Standing Testament To Nature And Time. Northern angel 21 2,520 12-02-2006 08:20 PM
Last Post: Northern angel
  I'm too busy/havent got time/ sooo tired IsLe Of WeAtHeR 46 3,964 22-09-2005 06:45 PM
Last Post: bridge
  Dodi and Di .. is it time Al Fayed let go? Dolores 16 2,002 28-08-2005 07:27 PM
Last Post: karenh
  What time is it on the moon? floopy 55 3,565 31-05-2005 01:29 PM
Last Post: Becks
  Time Travel Cockney 53 4,042 23-03-2005 04:17 PM
Last Post: Cockney