Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plasma vs LCD TVs
26-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Plasma vs LCD TVs

We are planning on buying one of these tomorrow. Does anyone know the benefits of each one, and does anyone have any recommendations as to which one to choose, and why?

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Plasma vs LCD TVs
We bought an LCD recently as my son told me plasma were more expensve to run and their lifespan was not as good. I don't know if this is true maybe someone else will.

The picture is very good but it annoys me that although the digital signal makes it clearer it is more affected my weather conditions than analogue.

Ours is a Sony KDL 40W2000, at 40 inches it is much bigger than our old set and I really wasn't sure about how it would look in the room as I don't like it to be dominated by the TV. Fortuately it fits nicely into the bay window space so it tucks away quite nicely.

I did goole LCD tv's and got a lot of information that way can't say as i understood it all though.
Find all posts by this user
26-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Plasma vs LCD TVs
It's been generally accepted that LCD are better at small sizes, but once you get above 40" plasma tends to be better.

However, I think the most modern plasma and LCD are pretty similar right up to the very big sizes now.

Plasma screens get hotter and you tend to get screen burn, where if you watch the same channel alot you'll get "Sky Sports" burned into the top corner of your screen, whatever you're watching.

The other consideration is that there are many producers of LCD screens, but I think there is only one major producer of plasma now (Pioneer), which means support for plasma might be tricky.

If you're buying LCD, make sure you're getting current technology and not a screen made 2 years ago.

I've got a 36" Sharp Aquos (LCD) from about 2 1/2 years ago and I've been pretty disappointed with it overall, especially for football, where it doesn't cope with rapid camera movement very well.

If you get an HD TV and an HD supplier you should be laughing, whatever screen you get.

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
27-12-2006, 09:18 AM
Plasma vs LCD TVs
When we had ours we were advised by a mate who is a TV engineer that plasma screens burn the logo of Sky etc into the screen eventually and that it would be adviseable to get an LCD one.

Liking the cut of your jib.........[Image: aniburns.gif]
27-12-2006, 10:00 AM
Plasma vs LCD TVs
What Hi-Fi Sound and Vision magazine gives up to date advice on this very subject, and reviews lots of TVs of both types.

Here's their website, haven't taken a close look at it so unsure if the website also carries advice and reviews.

http://www.whathifi.com/

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
27-12-2006, 11:29 AM
Plasma vs LCD TVs
I don't understand the changes they are making to the TV system. My sister says she needs to get a new TV soon because they are changing the type of signal or something. What is happening?
27-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Plasma vs LCD TVs
lmb, they are changing over to digital real soon, so if your TV isn't digital ready it will need to be changed.

Thanks for your help guys. I looked at that site, and checked others, and from what I understand Plasma is slowly being faded out and LCD is the way to go, although Plasma does have some advantages over the LCD, in some areas, although LCD is being improved all the time.

We bought our TV though, we got a Sony 46 LCD HD. It's really nice. Just wondering if it's going to fit in the living room.Huh

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
29-12-2006, 12:31 PM
Plasma vs LCD TVs
I bought an LG lcd over Xmas, and am still trying to get to grips with the mass of picture and sound formats it has. :bag: The Vicar of Dibley has Dawn French wider than her height, and I'm sure she 'aint growed that much!

It is excellent tho, only 32", but I am not willing to go larger yet as I am saure there will be huge price drops soon.
31-12-2006, 06:01 PM
Plasma vs LCD TVs
I don't have a TV at the moment so it doesn't matter anyway.