Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pong
10-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Pong

Does anyone know how to cure a pongy washing machine?

Ours is plumbed into the kitchen sink outlet and sometimes when it runs a pongy whiff comes up from the sink plughole.

We've tride SinkFresh down the sink, made sure the washing machine filter is clean and that there are no blockages in the drainpipes yet still it niffs.

Any (sensible) anti-pong treatments anyone can recommend?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Pong
Change your knickers more than once a month :laugh:

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
10-10-2005, 10:26 AM
Pong
SF, I have had a week look at my Kim & Aggie book (still can't believe my hubby bought me that - who says romance is dead) and all it says is to keep the drain filter clean, rinse out the detergent drawer, wipe the door seal with a damp cloth or old toothbrush, and every now & again run the machine empty without detergent to give it a good rinse. And use a limescale remover.

It doesn't really say anything about smells byt hth.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Pong
OK thanks, I'll give it a run empty with no detergent and on high temperature and see what that does.

10-10-2005, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 10-10-2005 01:06 PM by Haydon_acc2.)
Pong
Just realised you have already done the filter job (i really should read things properly Huh )... anyway, for those that need help.....

I take no responsbility for any damage caused by following these instructions.

Washing machines have a little filter that collects loads of nasty stuff.
At the bottom front of your machine there is normally a panel.... ours runs all along the front bottom. Unclip it, yank it, pull it off, kick it off. Got it off?
ok now get down on your hands and knees.
You should see a round hole to one side, with what looks a bit like a small filler cap. Turn/unscrew the filler cap and pull.
You will now have a flooded kitchen.... I should have reminded you to put down an old towel ... in fact you'll probably need two or three to soak up the water that will come out.
Ahh yes, a peg for your nose is good as well. It STINKS!
Clean out all the gunk.
Reassemble washing machine.
Mop floor.
Spray air freshner.
Put washing machine onto rinse cycle. Stand back and marvel at how clever Haydon really is.

Still smelly? Unplug the hoses, clean 'em, blow down them and put 'em back. Rinse cycle.

Still smelly - there's no hope... buy a new machine.

Haydon

[Image: pot001.gif]jobs kent
10-10-2005, 01:10 PM
Pong
I get that problem through my sink plughole SF after the machine is stopped - that and the dishwasher are all plumbed to the same outlet without the right number of U bends in my opinion - but seeing what is under my sink I am loathe to start fiddling. I just squirt bleach down the sink and into the sink overflow and the whiff vanishes.

One day I may fork out for a plumber to come and rebuild it all for me!

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
10-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Pong
Eternity Wrote:I get that problem through my sink plughole SF after the machine is stopped - that and the dishwasher are all plumbed to the same outlet without the right number of U bends in my opinion - but seeing what is under my sink I am loathe to start fiddling. I just squirt bleach down the sink and into the sink overflow and the whiff vanishes.

One day I may fork out for a plumber to come and rebuild it all for me!

I do exactly the same. Good strong bleach down all orifices (orifii?) and into the drain outside followed by a kettle full of boiling water usually does the trick.
10-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Pong
Haydon thanks for that suggestion but I think my run through on empty has done the trick.

Since I last posted I found out that a whiffy washer is quite a common problem, and is more likely to happen if you use liquid detergent (like we do) - for two reasons - liquid detergent doesn't contain bleach like powder detergent, and people tend to overdose with the liquid, resulting in a clogging up of old gunky detergent and a bit of a niff.

10-10-2005, 03:21 PM
Pong
I had read that you shouldnt always use liquid detergent. It does block up the detergent drawer and the pipes. Occasionally you should wash using powder.

I think i read this in 'Womans Own' or similar when sat waiting to see the dentist once :unsure:

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
10-10-2005, 06:59 PM
Pong
A washing machine repair man told me that it was better to use powder not liquid can't remember why though.