Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Posh and Becks in the Manger
16-12-2004, 07:19 PM

I am not religious at all, but I find Posh and Becks et al at Madame Tussauds display of the Nativity stomach churning -never mind the additional public crew.
What are your thoughts? Sign of the times? Is religion dead and gone? Is celebrity the new God, are we, the recipients, the cynical followers? What exactly does Christmas mean any more?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2004, 11:38 AM
I'm not that bothered really by the image of Posh and Becks dressed up as Mary & Joseph in that context. I don't see it as being that different really from an actor with a shady past playing the role in feature film.

But, I can understand why people would be offended by it.

In the context of the Christian bible (New Testament), Mary & Jospeh are pretty central figures and are there are particular images associated with them. They were poor (so poor that Mary had to give birth in a stable). They led harsh lives. They were saintly and good. Mary was a virgin. Jospeh was a fithful husband. Their child was the Son of God etc.

The images of Posh & Becks could not be further from all that really!

I think that Mddme Tussauds have made a bit of a mistake here. They should just not have bothered with a Nativity Scene. But, its Christmas and they wanted one. However, Tussauds is all about waxworks of famous people so they couldn't really have the nativity scene with waxworks of anonymous people. I guess they felt that they had to choose a famous married couple for the roles, and Posh and Becks are amoung the most famous.

Would you have felt differently if they'd chosen Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston or Catherine Zeta-Jones and Michael Douglas to portray those roles?

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-12-2004, 12:46 PM
[quote]Jospeh was a fithful husband[\quote]

ha ha read that as FITful
Find all posts by this user
17-12-2004, 01:41 PM
I personally dont like it, and im not remotely religious.

I think its just tacky beyond belief, and i think it mocks the traditional manger story too much.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
17-12-2004, 01:45 PM
Bonsai Wrote:I think its just tacky beyond belief, and i think it mocks the traditional manger story too much.

Oh yeah - it's tacky all right! :laugh:

17-12-2004, 02:19 PM
I do think it is in bad taste and very tacky :blink:

Have Madame Tussauds bothered with a Nativity scene before doesn't anyone know? And if not why have they started now?

Surely if they wanted to celebrate Christmas, couldn't they dress the 'stars' in Party Dresses & Santa Hats!
17-12-2004, 05:42 PM
ilovesurvivor Wrote:Surely if they wanted to celebrate Christmas, couldn't they dress the 'stars' in Party Dresses & Santa Hats!

Good point!

17-12-2004, 05:50 PM
karenh Wrote:Good point!

I must admit the thought of David (aren't I beautiful) Beckham and Tony Blair in Party dresses - has had me in fits of giggles :laugh:
17-12-2004, 06:28 PM
The whole think is distasteful - but I am not offended by it, just mildly amused in a cringeworthy sort of way!

SUrely they could have picked more appropriate Shepherds and Wise Men, Hugh Grant, Graham Norton, Tony Blair, George Bush for goodness sake - are they trying to tell me George Bush is a Wise Man??? :laugh:
17-12-2004, 06:33 PM
I'd like to know what David and Victoria's opinion is of it. Did they give Mdm T's the go ahead or was it done without their knowledge?

Personally I think it is midly shocking, but I suspect that is what Mme T was hoping for. I have been there more times than I care to remember, when I lived in London everyone who came to visit wanted to go there - I find it totally overrated and way to expensive for what it is.

Mind I did get some good pics years ago of me and Mashed getting in amongst the waxworks and being slightly irreverent with the pope and the queen! If I get her permission I will do my best to put the pic up!!

....of course I am referring to Mashed's permission and not her majesty's!!!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...