Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible Smoking ban in Torquay
22-08-2005, 10:46 PM

There is talk afoot to ban smoking all all public places, including pubs and restaurants, in Torquay. A vots is currently being administered by the powers that be.

I think its terrible, all our rights are being slowly expunged, and we are being allowed to make less and less choises for ourselves, in the 'supposed public interest'.

I know it will not affect many people - yet - but if it happens and is a success then its a matter of time.

What do you all think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2005, 11:46 PM
I think the thing is - and I speak as a smoker - the idea isn't to quash people's rights. Of course people have the right to ruin their own health, but the fact remains that to inflict it onto non-smokers isn't a right.Why should they have to put up with it? It's a minging habit, not to say unhealthy.

And to be honest, when I was in Dublin last summer it really wasn't a problem. You'd just nip outside for a fag, then come back in. And it makes you smoke less as well - hurrah! Good news all round.

cheerio!
23-08-2005, 06:10 AM
Oh Tabby an emotive subject, I was only discussing this in our local last Friday, with ciggie in hand.

I actually do not have a problem with no-smoking restaurants, in fact I think I prefer them. No smoking pubs, I have yet to come across, but if I am able to nip outside for a quickie, and a ciggie [phnar phnar] then fine, at least all my clothes won't get stinky.

So although in principle I am more than happy to comply and actively seek out no-smoking restaurants [although I do like an area where you can, just a little small place]. What I find a problem is the 'Nanny State', the uptightness and rigid controls we have over here [in the UK], telling us where and when we can do this, where and when we can't do this???

This is unheard of in more relaxed countries, Australia for eg. The whole countries attitude is more 'laisse faire' - of course, I realise that Aus or the US are a trillion times bigger than our small island. I just have this gut feeling that we are becoming, niggly, nit picking, grumpy, mean, rule toting old fogies.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-08-2005, 07:33 AM (This post was last modified: 23-08-2005 07:36 AM by Bella.)
Tabby Cat Wrote:There is talk afoot to ban smoking all all public places, including pubs and restaurants, in Torquay. A vots is currently being administered by the powers that be.

I think its terrible, all our rights are being slowly expunged, and we are being allowed to make less and less choises for ourselves, in the 'supposed public interest'.

I know it will not affect many people - yet - but if it happens and is a success then its a matter of time.

What do you all think?

What about non-smokers rights?! Do you think it's right for non-smokers to continually inhale 2nd hand smoke or to come home from a night stinking of cigarette smoke? I am all for the ban and cannot wait until next May when Scotland will become non-smoking. Yeah, the smokers are up in arms about taking away their rights, well it's about time something was done.

However, I do kind of agree with Flip that we are becoming the Nanny state, but is an issue that has hovering around for sometime now. Most polls show that a huge percentage of the population are in favour of a smoking ban. And when you get countries like Italy ( a large porportion of their population are smokers) slapping a smoking ban in their pubs & restaurants then surely it can work here.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
23-08-2005, 08:36 AM
I really wouldnt mind smokeless pubs. At our local probably 80% of the people smoke, and by the end of the night - even as a smoker myself, im coughing like a trouper. There is a haze over the entire pub.

They have got a non smoker restaurant area, but it isnt shut off from the rest of the pub, so you even eat surrounded in smoke.

I often nip outside now for a ciggie, and like Flip said, if you are forced outside at least your hair / clothes wont smell of smoke.

I dont think that a lot of the pubs will loose out. Like i said, most people who frequent our local pub are smokers ..... but the non smokers go too. A lot of people have said that if they were to impose a smoking ban, then they wouldnt go to the pub as often. I dont think the non smokers would take there place as there really arent that many around here..... i live in an unhealthy village :glare:

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
23-08-2005, 02:26 PM
As a non smoker I would like to see a smoking ban in restaurants and in pubs that allow children and sell food but I would also like to see some pubs that smoking was allowed so there was a place for smokers to go if they didn't wish to stand outside to have a ciggie but I do think they should be adult only estabishments.
23-08-2005, 05:26 PM
I must admit I am a non smoker, but I like to think I'm tolerent of smokers because I have friends who smoke. And the smokers I know show consideration for us non-smokers.

Having said that though I agree with Scooby, it was sooo nice when we went to Ireland earlier this year and there was no smoking in the pubs/restaurants. Some pubs had it so well organised with a patio area with a canopy and heaters outside for the smokers.

Also Torquay being a seaside resort I'm sure you get more children in pubs than you would do in say... London.
23-08-2005, 07:28 PM
I'm an ex smoker and I consider smoking bans in public places to be a good thing - I hate it when I come back from a night out smelling of smoke. As for rights - nobody has a right to harm anyone else - which is what smokers do to non smokers!

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
23-08-2005, 07:29 PM
I'm a smoker, but I'm quite well trained as I'm used to popping outside for "a breath of fresh air".
I'm happy not to smoke in restaurants, as I can appreciate people like to eat without smoke fumes all around them.
I do find the idea of non-smoking pubs difficult, but I guess that is the way things are heading and I will have to get used to it if it happens here.

A friend visits Dublin on a regular basis, and says it works out fine - have a drink, run outside for a smoke, then back in the pub for another drink again! :drinking:

Old enough to know better... :whistling
24-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Seriously tho'...the BEST thing about the smoking ban, apart from health reasons..blah blah..is that ya don't have to wash your hair at 3:00 or 4:00am in the morning any more.....before flopping into bed!
In the good old days after a night out my hair and clothes used to get riddled with fumes..and it was yukky. :sick: .and i always had to wash my hair before flaking out.Not any more!
Everything's just so minty fresh now..... :pimp:

(hey..what's he doing here! no ciggies allowed!)

'Come away, oh human child, to the waters and the wild.With a fairy hand in hand...for the world is more full of weeping than you will understand.........'
Find all posts by this user