Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potty Training at day one?
16-10-2005, 05:11 AM

I saw this on one of the morning shows the other day and nearly fell over laughing but now I see it's on the yahoo news section as I was checking my e-mail. This lady says that you can start training your child as early as day one to potty train by using "elimination communication", that is knowing the cry or sound of your child relieving itself. They even have a site: http://www.DiaperFreeBaby.org. I think this is a load of cr@p as I have 2 boys and have worked in daycare for nearly 14 years and believe me, I just think it's ludicrous!! Discuss please... :pooh: Huh

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2005, 06:07 AM
I think it's impossible! My 3 year old cousin still doesn't use the toilet. When we ask him: "When are you going to go to the toilet?" he just replies in the cutest way: "Soon" or "In a minute." Anyway I think that it is a load of crap aswell...
16-10-2005, 02:50 PM
Well I have to say I was a bit bemused by the concept!

But having seen it in action - albeit on tv, it seems to work, it is to do with conditioning [eg Pavlov's Dog's etc] although there is no negativity associated with it. But the had some Mums on a day time show her and all had initiated this potty training from day one - and they reckoned it worked and by the time the baby was about 12 months [or just walking] they were potty trained. I honestly can see no reason why it wouldn't work - just an awful lot of hard work for the Mum concerned.

Most children are potty children are trained by 30 months [this is a generalisation I hasten to add] but if the Mum or carer is prepared to commit to training earlier than that and it worls then good luck to them!!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-10-2005, 03:04 PM
This is nothing new, it was brought up in the late 50's, but what happened then was that the child reverted back to being 'untrained' later - though why was not discovered in spite of trials to find out.

Just another lot jumping on an old, tried, and failed bandwagon.

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
16-10-2005, 03:46 PM
For goodness sake, what's up with nappies?!

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
16-10-2005, 04:15 PM
What a load of :pooh: .

It's the same as when people claim they have potty trained their children really earlier when all they are actually doing is just sitting them on the potty for hours on end to catch said deposits - making life difficult for both the child and them.

Why bother?? You win no prizes. I can understand the want for early training before disposables but now, why?

As you all saw I trained Freddie in the summer it dosn't take long, just a concerted effort for a couple of weeks (and a bribe or too) - he was nearly 3. Done and dusted and whilst on the subject of his training can I report that today he has started to stand up and pee in the loo just like his daddy and big brothers and he has been dry at night for 4 weeks now - will call for me to take him if he wakes up. Still in pull ups as he sleeps in our bed most night and our mattress is very expensive.

Its the same with the rush to get babies off bottles...why??
16-10-2005, 04:21 PM
I have to agree with most on here about the timing of potty training..why make it more stressful than it needs to be? All my boys were about 2 and a hald when they were dry, it didn;t take long once we started and was a damn sight easier than sitting a one year old on a potty morning noon and night....I actually wanted to get out of the house when they were that age and go for a walk!

I have to slightly disagree with the bottle comment though Cat.....there is nothing worse in my mind than a toddler with a bag of crisps and coke in the day and a bottle at night going to bed? Once they can drink from a cup then let them...
16-10-2005, 04:28 PM
Buzz Wrote:I have to slightly disagree with the bottle comment though Cat.....there is nothing worse in my mind than a toddler with a bag of crisps and coke in the day and a bottle at night going to bed? Once they can drink from a cup then let them...

I should have made myself clearer Buzzulicious....people who get rid of bottles at 6 months or so. All mine had them for about a year which is enough. As you say - once drinking from a cup do it - but don't start pushing at a few months old.

ALRIGHT!
16-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Cat Wrote:I should have made myself clearer Buzzulicious....people who get rid of bottles at 6 months or so. All mine had them for about a year which is enough. As you say - once drinking from a cup do it - but don't start pushing at a few months old.

ALRIGHT!
My apologies...I agree with you now...... :ninja:
16-10-2005, 04:37 PM
The best things about babies/toddlers is that they are their own law. They do things at their own pace when they are ready, and you can push and pull all you like, it may help, but only a bit.

I approve a lot with treats and bribery to get them to do things (we do it with dogs don't we?), but not to try and make them better than Liam next door. I recall two new Mums doing the braggy bit about their babies first smile, when one insisted that hers was smiling at 2 weeks I just let out a big groan of despair!

Yes, there are stages your child should be at by a certain age, but it's not written in stone - more playdoh, so being more elastic makes them and you a lot more content.

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~