Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Potty Training the Fredmeister.
19-08-2005, 06:50 PM

The day has come, he will be 3 in October and as we are at home for the final two weeks of the holiday thought now was as good a time as any.

This is my 3rd training session, but as the last was 7 years ago can't remember a thing but none the less I thought it would be nice to report the ups and downs of the Meisters training.

Day One

When I changed him this morning I said we were going to start potty training and put him in pants. We found the potty which has been part of the furniture for a while now, and enlisted Thomas, Bertie Bus and James to help. Freddie sat on the potty as Thomas, BB and James told him how they don't wear a nappy any more and pee and poo in the potty. Freddie was very impressed with this.

He then proceeded to pee in the potty - without removing his pants. Never mind, my fault should have explained. Put clean pants on and off we go, the same thing happens an hour later. Ditch the pants.

At 1pm he poo'd in the potty...HURAHH!

At 1.30pm he peed on the kitchen floor

At 2.30pm he pee'd in the upstairs toilet

At 3pm he pee'd on the rug.

At 4pm he poo'd in the middle room.

At 4.10pm I bathed him and put him in a nappy ready for bed.

So results on first day:

Potty/Toilet = 4
Floor = 3

Not bad for Day One.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2005, 07:54 PM
Sound good to me :thumbsup:
19-08-2005, 08:07 PM
I was having a conversation about potty training with an internet friend of mine. She had just spent a week in their apartment in Spain with her d-i-l and almost 3 year old (and a younger one) who are staying on there for 3 weeks. She was saying that the d-i-l had made no attempt at potty training at all. I would have thought that being in Spain with the child 24/7 (and all tiled floors, easy to mop) would have been the ideal time to do it.

Why are children in nappies so long these days. Is it because they are so convenient. No washing and, let's face it, once the child is potty trained you have the scenario of being in the middle of shopping (or somewhere else equally inconvenient) and junior suddenly needs the loo desperately. We've all been there haven't we?

I remember my grandson having a complete aversion to his potty, even though (or maybe because) it was one of those Teddy Bear chair type things. He seemed to go from nappies to using the big toilet at about 2½.

Keep at it Cat - sounds like a good result for a first go Smile
20-08-2005, 05:37 PM
This thread is utterly hilarious! :laugh:

I wan't to hear a detailed breakdown of Freddie's abultions every day until he gets fully potty/toilet trained (at which point the ablution stories just get boring).

But....Jaysus! Are kids really in nappies until age 3 these days? :ohmy: I'm sure my goddaughter was crapping in the toilet before then.

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
20-08-2005, 05:56 PM
In my experience girls tend to be potty/toilet trained earlier than boys Karen, I know my daughter was using the potty around her 2nd birthday but both my boys were about 2 and half before they were 'dry'. Obviously each child is different, they all learn different skills at different times and some are lazier than others when it comes to using the potty/toilet.
20-08-2005, 06:47 PM
I think in the "old days" ... say 40-30 years ago, children were "potty trained" at an early age, but not really if you see what I mean! What I mean is that kids were dumped on a potty for hours on end until they did something. That's not what potty training is about these days. It's about the child knowing when they want to do their business and asking rather than doing it to order. I know the reason for this was probably due to terries nappies and households not always having the luxury of washing machines, etc.

My son was amazingly easy to potty train and we managed it in about 10 days (with the odd accident after that period, but not many) cos he was ready for it, he was two years and two months and I was very proud of him and me! Especially as I'd told everyone at work I was taking two weeks off over Easter and would be potty training him ... I was desparate not to have to go back and admit defeat!!!! pride, huh!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
20-08-2005, 09:04 PM
I agree with you Dol about potty training years ago.

Some people say their kids were potty trained at one:shock: but I think it's more of a case, like you say, of being sat on the potty for all hours and just happening to catch it.
And the washing of all the terries must have been an incentive to get them onto the potty.

Both of my boys were round about 3 when they were out of nappies.
But they both "got it" in a couple of days, with hardly any wet patches anywhere.
We still have little accidents every now and then but when we can drive 8 hours down to Devon for a holiday, and them not get wet, I don't think we're doing to bad.

[Image: 429.gif]
20-08-2005, 10:32 PM
I well remember that red ring round my son's bum from being forced to sit for too long on the potty. I was only 17 when I had him and was determined to be the perfect mother, this resulted in a constipated child with a phobia about the potty.

It is true that we worked harder on getting them trained because of the lack of washing machine and tumble drier. The most nappies I had was two dozen and if they had a really bad day and the weather had been bad I was frantically drying nappies on the fireguard.

I was far more relaxed with my second child and it was much easier.
Find all posts by this user
20-08-2005, 10:49 PM
God, I'm glad I didn't have kids.

Eeeww :sick:

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
21-08-2005, 08:22 AM
Day Two.

Not a good start, was out till about 12 noon then came back to find Mr Cat had dressed him complete with nappy, he wouldn't let me take it off untill he next needed changing - around 1.30pm. We were up stairs together and he did 2 pee's in the pot, then p!sed all over my freshly cleaned bed - NEVER MIND FREDDIE, IT DOSN'T MATTER. Later we went for a walk and put a nappy back on him, which was removed when returned.

Floor/ bedding = 3
Potty/toilet = 4

But nappies were worn for the majority of the day.

NOTE: Both my other boys were just 3 when I trained then, in a couple of days and I am starting to think I have started this too soon, yes nappies are much more convenient than the toweling ones and I don't see the point in distressing him if he's not ready, as long as he is ready by January when he starts nursery I really don't see the hurry and I am not going to push it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Potty Mouth Groucho 5 1,171 25-09-2008 11:37 AM
Last Post: karenh
  The Fredmeister official dump thread. secrets 22 1,449 23-08-2005 07:08 PM
Last Post: Coastie