Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question (as Destiny's Child once sang)
04-12-2005, 04:25 PM

Does anyone know anything about musicals?

Specifically, West Side Story, The Sound of Music and Moulin Rouge.

cheerio!
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2005, 04:57 PM
What exactly do you want to know?

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-12-2005, 05:32 PM
Yeah Scooby...love all three but you need to be more specific or I could drone on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on! :mellow:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
04-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Have to agree all are brilliant, would have loved to have been one of the Von Trapp children and Moulin Rouge was just brilliant, absolutely loved this film!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
04-12-2005, 07:37 PM
Well, basically, I stupidly chosen an elective in something called Exploring the Musical. I have missed most of the lectures because I hated it. BUT! I have to write an 3000 word essay on how the 'musical numbers' i.e. songs in the films move forward the narrative.

I will die a literary death.

Without your much-obliged help, of course.

cheerio!
05-12-2005, 07:10 AM
God these three are such a bore - and I'm referring to the musicals :kid:
05-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Ooo well Scoobs..Moulin Rouge is the cream here as it basically tells the whole story in song...either by full on performances or by an very clever use of lyrics nicked from various songs.

However.....Westside story has the wonderful song 'Maria' which has the guy singing his heart out as a result of his meeting the girl of his dreams....very moving part of the film...

South Pacific is another classic....with songs like 'I'm gonna wash that man right outta my hair' you learn that the lady is basically trying to rid her mind of the man she is very annoyed with, wants nothing more to do with but at the same time she can't stop thinking about him...also the mens desperation (and er sexual frustration) is revealed in the song 'There aint nothing like a dame'.

The sound of music has a few more random numbers compared to alot of other films...like the goodbye song the kids do for 'ahhhh' factor as they head off to bed at the party...doe a deer teaches the children to sing but doesn't really tell a story...but it does clearly move it along as once the number is complete the kids can clearly sing!

Is this the sort of thing you're having to write Scoobs?

(P.S. I was crud at esay writing at school...my mind would wander and I'd fill the page with waffle half the time!)

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
06-12-2005, 04:03 PM
What about 'Phantom of the Opera'....dark and beautiful all at the one time.
And the Phantom's 'Mask'...what is that a metaphor for...etc etc....
West Side Story is a reflection on the gang welfare in the states at the time....between ethnic communities etc.Only all spruced up for a theatre going audience.
Gawd..it sounds like a nice assignment, but I honestly would'nt know where to start myself.Good luck.
:-)

'Come away, oh human child, to the waters and the wild.With a fairy hand in hand...for the world is more full of weeping than you will understand.........'
Find all posts by this user
06-12-2005, 04:53 PM
West Side Story is basically Romeo and Juliet, with the Sharks and Jets replacing the Montagues and Capulets.

I did it recently, but concentrated more on getting the words and steps right than how the music was moving the story along. Certainly moved me along, I can tell you!
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Question & Answer ils 4,815 133,796 26-02-2010 02:11 PM
Last Post: Groucho
  Blow job - question survivorfan 27 3,217 16-01-2007 02:53 PM
Last Post: Slipper
  Quick question for you good people.... Figaro 24 2,912 15-01-2007 04:12 PM
Last Post: Patsy
  diy question survivorfan 21 2,320 06-12-2006 12:43 PM
Last Post: Slipper
  Question Seabreeze 2 789 03-10-2006 08:50 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  A Question For The Ladies? Northern angel 122 7,085 03-02-2006 07:05 PM
Last Post: Northern angel
  Things that influenced you when you were a child... JakeyBoy 3 620 18-12-2005 04:53 PM
Last Post: Rob
  The Big Question Scooby 7 1,199 15-12-2005 05:28 PM
Last Post: msgirl
  Demolition Man.......... a question Patsy 7 1,411 24-07-2005 07:32 PM
Last Post: jaycee
  Wild Child update Marmoset 6 854 29-06-2005 08:08 PM
Last Post: Bella