Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Haydon - Please
31-08-2006, 11:08 AM

I want to run down my fsnet (freeserve) email addy with a view to changing ISP. When I joined SO, hotmail addresses weren't acceptable for joining up (if I remember correctly).

So my question is -

(a) now I'm a member can I edit my email addy to the hotmail one or is that still not acceptable?

(b)if not, do I just wait until I get a new ISP and email addy and then go into the user CP and edit it?

I know (b) sounds really dumb if you know a lot about computers (which I don't) but what I mean is, even though my freeserve addy won't be active once I change over ISP, will I still be a member and able to access the group without rejoining?

Now all you clever clogs stop laughing - I just don't know enough about the way these things work to be able to get my head round it Blush

Although I've addressed this to Haydon, if anyone else knows the answer please feel free to help in case Haydon is busy (not that it's urgent or anything because I'm still only thinking about changing).

Has anyone else changed ISP after being with the same one for years and years and was it a lot of hassle?
Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2006, 11:13 AM
I changed from AOL to Tiscali with no trouble at all, Crit. Your new ISP provider should guide you through the process of changing. I like to speak to a real person, so I usually try and find the phone number and do it whilst they're holding on.
Find all posts by this user
31-08-2006, 06:10 PM
Critters, I change ISPs all the time, I don't use any of their e-mail addresses, I stick to my msn one or my work one, so it's no hassle at all if you use a web-based e-mail account raather than one that connects to a server via outlook .

My msn one is the same as a hotmail account and it's not a problem.

Bollox to potplants
31-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the info, Pats and Floops. So, was I dreaming that you can't join SO with a hotmail account then? Did you use yours Floops?

I was sure it said "not a hotmail account" when I joined? Or maybe I'm getting confused with another site. Seems to happen a lot these days (confusion I mean) :ninja:
31-08-2006, 06:28 PM
Maybe you can't join with one, cos spammers are more likely to use one, but you can change it once you're established?

HAYDON!!!!

Bollox to potplants
31-08-2006, 06:38 PM
You are quite correct Critique, you can't join SO with a Hotmail email account. I had to implement this a while back because I was getting inundated with fake accounts/spammers who were using Hotmail (and a couple of others).

However, I have in the past over ridden the system when I know that the user is genuine. (people email me) There were some users who registered before the ban came into effect - they are and still can use their Hotmail address as their registered email acc at SO.

Please pm me your Hotmail account address and I'll update your details for you. Smile

(oi Floopy - stop shouting at me - I was composing my reply!)

Haydon

[Image: pot001.gif]jobs kent
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-08-2006, 07:36 PM
sorry Blush

Bit slow ain't ya?

Bollox to potplants
31-08-2006, 07:58 PM