Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quirks of NZ life - and 'abroad' in general
31-05-2005, 06:53 AM

I was highly amused the other day to discover that New Zealand gets a public holiday every June 6th (or nearest Monday) in order to celebrate the queen's birthday! My Kiwi mates, having always had the day off, couldn't work out why this was funny until I pointed out that it wasn't a public holiday in the UK and that most of us probably couldn't have told you when the birthday was, let alone celebrated it! Mind you, it's a good idea :wink2:

There are a few odd little things about Kiwi life that make me laugh, though of course they are normal to the folk here who just stand looking at me as I point and roll about laughing like a loon at tumble dryers suspended upside down on the wall and shops that sell both health food... and kayaks (seriously!)

Then there's the fact that kids can drive at 15 here, Sam is doing his theory test on his 15th birthday next month, the same day that Simon and I do ours (for the NZ licence) so I hope that we don't fail it whilst Sam passes his!

I was asked by several people before we came out here what I'd miss from UK life, but until you're here you don't really know what's different and what isn't! I can now answer this question with a resounding cry of ''central heating'' though I have discovered that NZ residents depend heavily on flannelette sheets during the winter months, something that I frequently mourned the passing of in the UK..so, 'every cloud' and all that! :laugh:

This set me wondering what quirks of other countries folk here may have come across in their travels or things they missed whilst living overseas?
Quote this message in a reply
31-05-2005, 10:30 AM
V - great to hear from you, and Sam doing his theory at 15 - yikes!!??:ohmy: Wow Jack would be out there in a flash if I tell him that!!

What do I miss when I am abroard??

Well I remember doing a 3 week 4 state holiday in the States about 10 years ago with hubby and 3 children [my eldest and my two step sons], in a RV.

We had been there only 3 days, in stunning countryside, with vistas to die for, the sun beating down on us daily and everything being just perfect. When I had a hissy fit and declared I was going to get the next flight home unless I could find a shop that sold 'proper vegetables'!!

It was green veg that I was craving, my body seemed like it was going into melt down and I so needed fresh green veg. The feeling was so strong that it became a mission - I eventually found some zuchinni [courgettes] and some green peppers - they saved my sanity and holiday!!!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
31-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Usual boring stuff - a decent cup of tea and 'English' chocolate. I travel a great deal so have plenty of experience and , honestly, I am not a moaner cos things are different abroad - that's what I like about abroad! But I do enjoy my first cuppa when I get back......and I take a few 'fun-size' bars away with me
Find all posts by this user
31-05-2005, 11:56 AM
Great to see you Voicey.

When I lived in the States I always missed heinz baked beans, pg tips, salad cream and some decent bacon, oh of course with the missed hp sauce.

Luckily for us we found a British shop which sold all this stuff, at an expense though.
But as a treat, once a month I would go and stock up on loads of goodies.

[Image: 429.gif]
31-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Jo, great to hear from you as always Smile

When I leave home, I always miss the good old tattie scone!

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
31-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Tobule Wrote:Usual boring stuff - a decent cup of tea...

With you on that one. When Mr G and I went to LA I really wanted a cup of tea - mostly cos I couldn't have one (but once you get the idea in your mind...). Anyway we eventually found a few places that sold them and they were hideous.

Gel x
Find all posts by this user
31-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Voice of reason Wrote:.......There are a few odd little things about Kiwi life that make me laugh, though of course they are normal to the folk here who just stand looking at me as I point and roll about laughing like a loon at tumble dryers suspended upside down on the wall and shops that sell both health food... and kayaks (seriously!) ...........

Hi VOR, good to hear you're settling in and finding your way around in your new life.

I just have to ask about the tumble dryers though - why? I can't think of any logical explanation - lol.
31-05-2005, 05:19 PM
Critique Wrote:I just have to ask about the tumble dryers though - why? I can't think of any logical explanation - lol.

I wonderd this too Crit - but after much soul searching I realised why?? And that is because NZ is upside down to us - and so it makes perfect sense!!:ohmy:

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

31-05-2005, 05:41 PM
Flip Wrote:I wonderd this too Crit - but after much soul searching I realised why?? And that is because NZ is upside down to us - and so it makes perfect sense!!:ohmy:

Of course - silly me [Image: 36_12_6.gif]
01-06-2005, 12:34 AM
Critique Wrote:Hi VOR, good to hear you're settling in and finding your way around in your new life.

I just have to ask about the tumble dryers though - why? I can't think of any logical explanation - lol.

Lol I know, it is a weird one! I like Flip's answer actually but the reality is slightly less entertaining! The majority of washing machines are top loaders here and all houses, even the tiniest has a laundry (they would never have a washer/dryer in a kitchen), the thing is the laundries are small and as top loading washer take up more space and have no top for storage the dryers are wall hung to save laundry space. They hang upside down for the simple reason that hanging them upright would render the controls out of reach for most of us (except giants like Mr V)...so upside down they go! :laugh: I have bought a dryer and it's hanging there suspended, although I still expect it to fall down any day. I have however located a front loading washing machine and will buying one to take to the new house with me!

Talking of decent cups of tea though, Mr V took Sam to Starship hospital in Auckland yesterday and popped into one of the big department stores there to look around their 'fine food' section where they stock delicacies such as Yorkshire tea bags, Walkers crisps and galaxy chocolate...he came home with a bag full!

Actually life here is great and I have no real complaints, it's just different and that's not a bad thing by any means. Sam is now on steroids for 12 weeks so we should see some real improvement there, meantime they are settling at school and the house purchase progresses. In all, we are ok here and like Tobule says, the differences are part of the joys of travel in the end (though I'd still like central heating please!)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  So how can we breathe life into SO? Northern angel 9 1,176 31-10-2007 11:15 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  Real life Pet Rescue! Dolores 17 1,491 05-06-2007 05:42 PM
Last Post: Figaro
  Incredible Circle of Life video Seabreeze 6 1,040 27-05-2007 08:42 PM
Last Post: PJ
  Race For Life!! Bella 26 2,241 08-03-2007 10:17 AM
Last Post: La Freak
  Life Insurance and other morbid things ... Bonsai 23 2,499 27-02-2007 04:11 PM
Last Post: msgirl
  Life has taught me... Fee For All 29 1,965 19-08-2006 08:36 AM
  Andrea - has she ruined your life? Coastie 22 1,609 19-04-2006 12:04 PM
Last Post: Seabreeze
  General Questions Tigereye 24 2,355 11-02-2006 01:48 AM
  Discover your past life jaycee 9 1,019 29-08-2005 10:42 AM
Last Post: Patsy
  Changing your chosen path in life Crystal Lights 7 913 21-06-2005 10:08 AM
Last Post: Bella