Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RIP John Inman
08-03-2007, 07:44 AM
RIP John Inman

Actor John Inman died this morning aged 71, his spokesman said.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-03-2007, 10:02 AM
RIP John Inman
RIP John. He was (I think) the first gay man to be portrayed in a sitcom.

:sun: : PUNKYFISH
08-03-2007, 01:33 PM
RIP John Inman
I remember serving him at Walton Hall when I was a teenager doing waitressing, he was there with Babs Windsor for Danny La Rue's 40th birthday and he bummed a fag off me (as in the SMOKING variety.....wash your minds out!!!!!)

RIP

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
08-03-2007, 02:45 PM
RIP John Inman
I never found his style of comedy particularly funny, as with a lot of 70's TV humour.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
08-03-2007, 06:46 PM
RIP John Inman
For instance such gems as Father Dear Father, Robin's Nest, and I Live Next Door To A Darkie or whatever it was called.

Amazingly John Inman was voted Britain's Funniest Man 1976.

Was it really that funny or was it just that there was bu99er all else to compete with?

08-03-2007, 07:42 PM
RIP John Inman
survivorfan Wrote:Was it really that funny or was it just that there was bu99er all else to compete with?

I agree with you sf. but I seem to remember Are you being served as one of those shows that lots of people watched and probably looked forward to. As a piece of comedy it hasn't stood the test of time, the acting was appalling and it really appealed to the LCD with nothing clever or witty to say. Whereas imo Porridge for example is timeless and still very funny today.
I'm sure MASH was about at the same too - and look how witty, funny and biting that was/is (and they say American humour isn't as ironic or funny as british - a train of thought I STRONGLY disagree with!)

oh and by the by - RIP John Inman - I'm free!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-03-2007, 06:52 AM
RIP John Inman
survivorfan Wrote:For instance such gems as Father Dear Father, Robin's Nest, and I Live Next Door To A Darkie or whatever it was called.

Amazingly John Inman was voted Britain's Funniest Man 1976.

Was it really that funny or was it just that there was bu99er all else to compete with?

Although these sitcoms are not funny today they probably were in their time, 70`s. We used to always watch Robins Nest and Are You Being served but certainly would not entertain them now. I should imagine a lot of programmes showing today will be frowned upon in 20/30 years time as well.
09-03-2007, 08:38 AM
RIP John Inman
Seabreeze Wrote:I should imagine a lot of programmes showing today will be frowned upon in 20/30 years time as well.

Out of interest which do you think would be the main contenders?

09-03-2007, 10:53 AM
RIP John Inman
Off the top of my head I don`t think these programmes (IMO) will stand the test of time

The New Statesman
Two Pints of Lager and...
My Family
Men Behaving Badly
Extras
Bonkers
Benidorm
09-03-2007, 10:55 AM
RIP John Inman
survivorfan Wrote:Out of interest which do you think would be the main contenders?

Hopefully Little Britain for starters. How does anyone find that remotely funny??