Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Racism
24-08-2005, 10:12 AM
Racism

I've been thinking about this subject a lot since I came home from North Carolina where it runs rife, and might I add, on both sides of the coin. It is talked about openly and not brushed under the carpet as it is here, where the pretence is it doesn't happen. Blacks and whites have definitely not segregated there as well as they have here and I guess it's due to the deep history that exists there.

I even had it happen to me. I was in Mcdonalds buying ice creams for the kids. I had ordered three. The lady behind the counter was black. She gave me one ice cream and then a group of black people came in. She then proceeded to serve them and leave me waiting for my other two cones. In the meantime ice cream was beginning to melt all over me. I made a comment, but was hushed by my sister in law who asked me if I fancied getting knifed. It was not funny and it was quite intimidating. I could feel the vibes from the group just daring me to say something else.

All I can say is that I am glad that I live here where I now realise that even though there is racism here, it is too a much lesser degree than it is there.

Do you think racism is mainly a white issue? Or do you think it exists on all sides of the coin?

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Racism
Wow Tiggs, that's shocking. It would be shocking equally whichever way round it was. How rude.

I virtually never encounter racism here in 90% white Chester. But I must say that when I see people of different races mixing, I don't ever see any unpleasantness. Sure, people notice the difference, but then that's to be expected, isn't it?

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
24-08-2005, 11:56 AM
Racism
I have really had my eyes opened since moving south to Devon..........

I grew up in the Midlands with every creed and colour, and also during the 70's when the IRA were at the height of their bombing campaign on mainland Britain, in an Irish Cathlolic community - where family and friends were the victims of narrow minded biggots in the same way people are now......

I have friends from "all 4 corners of the earth", obviously there are things I can do with some that I cant with others - I have many Muslim and Jehova's Witness friends, so a night on the lash isnt appropriate, I have Irish, British and Aussie mates where it is the RULE......

I also have a couple of British Sikh and British white friends whose hubbies would not "allow" them to go out with me for a night out when I was still single - but its ok now Im not :unsure: .............

I have a "live and let live" attitude.....If I dont like someone it will because of their "traits" not the religion they follow or the colour of their skin.....as I say to my step kids, there are tw*ts in all walks of life!!

I find that some people here in Devon are very racist and very open about it -there was an old biddy on the bus the other day voicing her bigotted opinion on the foreign students that were also on the bus, and I would guess that they had a better grasp of the English language than she did, I was so disgusted by her and made sure she knew by the glare I gave her......

I think it stems from fear and ignorance! All of us are sons or daughters, mothers or fathers, grandparents etc, and we just aint that different!!!!!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
Find all posts by this user
24-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Racism
What a horrible experience for you Tiggs :hug:

I have never seen or experienced racism myself, although I am aware it does exist. I am like isis in the fact that I like people or not because of their 'traits' and not their colour or their religious beliefs.
24-08-2005, 02:12 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2005 02:15 PM by Bonsai.)
Racism
Isis Wrote:I find that some people here in Devon are very racist and very open about it -there was an old biddy on the bus the other day voicing her bigotted opinion on the foreign students that were also on the bus, and I would guess that they had a better grasp of the English language than she did, I was so disgusted by her and made sure she knew by the glare I gave her......

I find that here Isis - maybe its because i live in a very small village. In fact, i recently saw a black face, and the reason i remember it clearly is because its the first one i have seen around here for the last 8 months !!!!

I find the racism in our local pub downright disgusting. Nearly every joke told is regarding black people. I think the last one i heard is "whats the first thing you do when telling a joke about black people - look behind you".

Terrible - but everyone there (excluding hubby and me) laughs. Strange :mellow:

Edited as it was a BAD word in the joke, and i didnt feel comfortable saying it.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
24-08-2005, 04:34 PM
Racism
Its a nasty story you tell but being advised to pipe down or "fancy being knifed" seems racist to me, ie upset any black person and you will get stabbed is ridiculous and symptomatic of fear/racism wherebye the whites see blacks as violent etc..

You jumped to too many conclusions about the ice cream incident, some fairly extreme ones too.

**I heart Northern Soul**
24-08-2005, 04:59 PM
Racism
tigger767 Wrote:Do you think racism is mainly a white issue? Or do you think it exists on all sides of the coin?

I'm not sure tigger. btw - what a rude rude lady that ice cream seller was ... you should have asked her if she wanted her nuts crushed! (oh that might not work on a woman!).

I think that black people can be racist against white people and it is often the same reason that white people are racists against black people, ignorance and intolerance.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
24-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Racism
IsLe Of WeAtHeR Wrote:Its a nasty story you tell but being advised to pipe down or "fancy being knifed" seems racist to me, ie upset any black person and you will get stabbed is ridiculous and symptomatic of fear/racism wherebye the whites see blacks as violent etc..

You jumped to too many conclusions about the ice cream incident, some fairly extreme ones too.

I think you need to take a trip to North Carolina and then see if you come back with the same conclusion. You was not there, you did not see, you did not feel. You are not understanding the tensions that lie between the black and white people of the southern states.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
24-08-2005, 05:37 PM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2005 05:39 PM by Pandora.)
Racism
Im sure Ive told this story before, but I was gobsmacked some years ago when a young asian girl that Id been working with for a few months (and getting on very well with), announced she was going to lunch. I said, "Ohh Ill join you, in fact, would you like to have a walk around town or go for a coffee?"

She refused and said, "No I darent, just in case anyone from my family or the Sikh temple saw me. They dont approve of us mixing with white girls, as they see them as being loose...."
She herself, she hastened to add, would have loved to go round town with me but she was too afraid. I was furious at the time.

Also, Mr P is half Italian and during the summer goes extremely dark skinned(the rat)... more than once Ive had someone make a remark to me, in passing, in a pub, such as "paki lover" and Ive had to errr take them to task, .. shall we say... lol :bag:

Racism comes from both sides and I actually work with an afro caribbean woman who hates asians. No idea why, dont want to know..... but its weird.
24-08-2005, 09:23 PM
Racism
I thinr racism - in its negative aspect - can be displayed by all colours and creeds.

I agree with Isis's point, it is very provincial here in Devon, I have lived in many parts of the UK as well as Greece and Portugal, and they can be very insular and somewhat xenaphobic here.

But I do thing being racist has its positive points, like being proud of your race, heritage, traditions and culture. It breaks down when people of different cultures will not live and let live.

There is a lot to be gained from learning about others ways, without dissing them for it.
Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Do you encounter racism in everyday life? The Curmudgeon 18 2,962 16-10-2008 02:13 PM
Last Post: karenh
  Crossing the road to racism Slipper 3 838 19-12-2006 01:16 PM
Last Post: Tigereye
  science, racism and free speech mikado 26 2,073 24-03-2006 05:22 PM
Last Post: Fee For All