Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rape - Is it an act of violence?
25-06-2005, 11:55 AM

I was just wondering what everyone's opinion on this was. I did used to think it was an act of violence, but am wondering whether it does have a sexual component as well. Do you think maybe that a man, if he has messed up views of sex, can commit rape? Or do you just think it is solely an act of violence?

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2005, 12:01 PM
I think the "drive" to rape is obviously a violent one! But one that I beleive is more lead by control of the victim than sexual desire for the victim.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
25-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Dolores Wrote:I think the "drive" to rape is obviously a violent one! But one that I beleive is more lead by control of the victim than sexual desire for the victim.

I agree with Dol, I think it is more about control in certain circumstances such as random rape but in incidents of date rape, there is the sexual desire but again the control is still there but in a different way as the victim is not in a position to fight back.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
25-06-2005, 02:44 PM
I don't quite get the question. Surely, because because rape involves some form of sexual act, it does have a sexual component, by definition.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
25-06-2005, 02:49 PM
I am beginning to be of the opinion that rape is not just an act of violence and control, I am starting to wonder if there is an aspect of sexual perversion in the majority of rapes, not just date rapes, there also.

Where did the concept of it just being an act of violence and control come from?

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
25-06-2005, 02:50 PM
survivorfan Wrote:I don't quite get the question. Surely, because because rape involves some form of sexual act, it does have a sexual component, by definition.

There seems to be a lot of thought that it is an act of violence and nothing to do with sexual desire.

25-06-2005, 02:53 PM
tigger767 Wrote:There seems to be a lot of thought that it is an act of violence and nothing to do with sexual desire.

I always took it to be an act of violent sexual assault against the victim's will - usually enforced sexual intercourse. To do this the attacker would have to have an erection and by definition be sexually aroused. I would have thought.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
25-06-2005, 02:55 PM
There are some cases (not all) where the man (rapist) has a hatred for women, maybe because he has been belittled by them or even feels threatened by them. A rape is an act of forcing the victim to do something they do not want do, and will involve a sexual act but it is more about the power and the control.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
25-06-2005, 04:05 PM
I agree with Bella and Dol. The sexual part of rape is just the way that the attacker's power, control and aggression is used. I'm not sure, but I suspect that the sex is usually very straightforward and not particularly "kinky" or perverted.
25-06-2005, 09:50 PM
Gosh Tiggs - you don't ask easy questions do you??

This is the sort of subject that cannot really be wrapped up in a few sentences.

The actual crime and definition of rape:

A man commits rape if
a] he has unlawful sexual intercourse with a woman who at the time of the intercourse doesn not consent to it; and
b] at the time he knows that she does not consent to the intercourse or he is reckless as to whether she consents to it;
and reference to rape in other enactments [including the following provisions of this Act] shall be construed accordingly.

... it then goes on to say:

the differing degrees of rape vary from a violent attack on a woman, which may also result in her murder, to a situation where the woman does not wish to have sexual intercourse but realises that is she does not submit then she will be physically harmed, therefore she objects but offers not resistance and submits.

There is a difference between consent and submission; every consent involves a submission, but it does not follow that every submission involves consent.

So in actual fact there is such a thing as a non violent rape. I am talking purely phsycial violence here - but there maybe inplied violence, which results in submission and therefore rape. The control [overt or implied] factor which is present in all rapes - is by definition a 'violent' act.

So all rapes are acts of violence.

Now to whether all rapes are sexually related - this is the more difficult one to answer and without having a darned good think about it and reveiwing my books and papers and forming opinons on this - I honestly cannot say.

I would hazard a guess that a lot of rapes are not primarily about 'sex' they are about control as above. And yet, the very fact that the act of rape involves a 'sexual' act, as opposed to an assault of only violence, indicates some sexual desire/control/dysfunction.

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Football Violence Haydon_acc2 12 2,017 02-03-2005 03:16 PM
Last Post: Becks