Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reality
04-12-2004, 12:02 PM
Reality

Have to say, the majority of posts about the celebs are of mild adoration - Sophie is wonderful, Paul is lovely etc, with a few dissenting posts thrown in.

I have come to the conclusion that the best way to look at the programme is as a modern day freak show.

I think looked at that way the whole thing takes on a new, and more realistic, perspective. They really are just a bunch of freaks put on the screen for our entertainment - aren't they??

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2004, 12:15 PM
Reality
Undoubtedly.

We shouldn't be under any illusions -the massive popularity of the series is almost akin to bear-baiting.

But they are bears who have chosen to be baited, with their long-term interests as a motivator so it's hard to feel sorry for them.

The thing which surprises me is that it is widely assumed that not being evicted early is a sign of popularity and a general Good Thing which vindicates the competitor's celebrity status if not saintliness. In fact, often it is the freakiest who stay to the end for ridicule purposes and the most normal who leave early.

'Reality' it is not.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-12-2004, 01:07 PM
Reality
Lucy Wrote:In fact, often it is the freakiest who stay to the end for ridicule purposes and the most normal who leave early.

I disagree. The celebs who are chosen for the trials are obviously chosen because they are disliked by the public but the winner is the one the public like the most and not the one they find the 'freakiest'.
04-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Reality
I don't think any of them are "Freaky". I think they are just a bunch of people with the normal idiosyncrasies that make everyone individual. If anyone put my life under the spotlight 24/7 I have no doubt that they would find me "Freaky", if only for the amount of time I spend talking to a computer - lol.

Given that they are in an incredibly difficult and demanding situation to everyday life I think they are all pretty "normal" (whatever normal is)
04-12-2004, 01:26 PM
Reality
Oh come on - they wouldn't be chosen for the show if they were 'normal'. They have to pick oddballs to make it interesting.

04-12-2004, 01:32 PM
Reality
They know what they are getting into, and they are paid well for it. Therefore any tears they shed in self pity are wasted on me.

There's nothing makes my teats turn purple more than a whining celeb moaning about having to go without pizza for a few days, and getting paid 50k to do it.

At least Street-Porker is enjoying herself and mucking in.
04-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Reality
survivorfan Wrote:Oh come on - they wouldn't be chosen for the show if they were 'normal'. They have to pick oddballs to make it interesting.

Was Jenny Bond an oddball?
04-12-2004, 03:42 PM
Reality
zip Wrote:Was Jenny Bond an oddball?

Not sure about that one. Still part of the circus though.

04-12-2004, 04:17 PM
Reality
I think Sophie just went in there to show her bod off to the blokes watching and try to rake in the cash...
04-12-2004, 05:25 PM
Reality
They all go (and yes this includes John Lydon) for two reasons, 1) The fee and 2) The chance of a positively raised profile on exit.

They all know the score and they know what will be expected of them, it's a risk but a well paid one and, even if you don't come out of it looking like Mr or Ms Nice you can still have a reasonable career on the back of being Mr or Ms Nasty (a la Nick Bateman.) Panto always needs a baddie.

I don't think those chosen are particularly freaky, it's just that the editing tends to pick up on and highlight their particluar personality traits, so that we get to see who is the 'nice' one, the 'grumpy' one, the 'lazy' one, the 'vain' one etc.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is nat the most annoying reality person EVER? fat man a fever 19 2,434 28-11-2004 11:20 PM
Last Post: jgee73