Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rebus
26-01-2006, 01:04 AM
Rebus

What did you think of Ken Stott as Rebus?

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-01-2006, 01:10 PM
Rebus
I think given the right script/adaptation he is born for the role! Huh However as long as they keep giving him crudiculous adaps the programes will remain a dissappoinment!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-01-2006, 01:36 PM
Rebus
Coastie Wrote:I think given the right script/adaptation he is born for the role! Huh However as long as they keep giving him crudiculous adaps the programes will remain a dissappoinment!

I agree, he should have been handed this role in the first place. If he had been I would not have spent my time watching the programme getting him confused with his other roles of Red in Messiah and Pat in The Vice - added to the fact as Coastie has pointed out if they can't adapt from the book correctly he won't be in the role that long as I doubt they will commission any more scripts! And that would be a shame as the Rebus books are just crying out to be on the TV.

I have started from the begining of the Rebus books and am now reading LEt it Bleed and there is so much about John Rebus that the TV just doesn't get across.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
27-01-2006, 04:09 AM
Rebus
Fee For All Wrote:What did you think of Ken Stott as Rebus?

As much as it KILLS me to say this.......he is 'Rebus'. (I love John Hannah, I love John Hannah, I love John Hannah....). Yet as mentioned, 'Rebus' just doesn't ooze out like he does in the books. The 'frack it' mentality, the tortured man, the man who is capable of crossing the line in a split second. One thing about the John Hannah 'Rebus' is they were really true to the book! And the big chair in the bay window Rebus always ended up in drinking and smoking and mulling over his issues was ALWAYS in JH's version. That's where Rankin's Rebus gets most of his solving and dealing done in the books. Sibhoan's character was S-A-D!! She's the female 'Rebus' in my mind. A tad tamer and closer to the straighter way but that girl in 'The Falls' was milquetoast!!!! The ONLY things in that movie and the book that were the same were: Rebus, Sibhoan, the coffins, Flip Balfour, Danny.....that was it. Where was the quizmaster thing? Danny and Flip were lovers, not him stalking her! Where's Dr. Curt? I'd love to see him portrayed! It was an affront to the book!! I don't know how I'll deal with 'Fleshmarket Close'!!??Huh :book:

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure:
27-01-2006, 07:56 AM
Rebus
I missed this.
As i have read every Ian Rankin book i would have liked to watch it.
I don't think it would be easy to put these books over in film, you build your own pictures of the characters and no one would do them justice.
It would be hard to follow the books closely also.
My picture of Sibhoan is the same as Noxy lol, maybe just the Flip connection, but it's definately Nox.

[INDENT]

[/INDENT]
28-01-2006, 05:27 PM
Rebus
Secrets.....it was sad!! At least John Hannah's Rebus was the book word for word, at least what they used for time puposes. I'm devestated! I always say I'll not watch a show/movie that I've read the book (which I've ALWAYS read the book more that likely) b/c of being let down!!

30-01-2006, 06:40 PM (This post was last modified: 30-01-2006 06:43 PM by Bella.)
Rebus
mississippigirl Wrote:Secrets.....it was sad!! At least John Hannah's Rebus was the book word for word, at least what they used for time puposes. I'm devestated! I always say I'll not watch a show/movie that I've read the book (which I've ALWAYS read the book more that likely) b/c of being let down!!

I only ever seen one of the John Hannah episodes - I think it was Dead Souls, it was the one where Rebus's policeman friend killed himself by jumping from the Crags at Arthur's Seat and the children's home - was that Dead Souls? I think John Hannah made two episodes but I can't remember which ones they were, they are out on DVD now though.

You are right though MSgirl if that one that I have mentioned above was Dead Souls, it was very like the book from where it was adapted from but as you say The Falls was nothing like the book at all - I mean they never even mentioned the significance of The Falls! btw - most of the filming for The Falls (excpet the obvious parts) was filmed in Glasgow!

Edited: Actually come to think of it there was another one I saw, the one where the son of one of friends back in Fife went missing was that from the same book? I remember at the end of that book, they never found the son I wrote to Ian Rankin to ask him what happened to him and he wrote back to say that he left the ending that way to let the reader decide, and that maybe in a future book he might bring the character back............

02-02-2006, 02:35 AM
Rebus
Yeah, BellaBoo, that's from 'Dead Souls'. Actually the friends from Fife story was printed here in a small, hardback novella called "Death Is Not the End", then carried over to 'Dead Souls'. I will watch again, I'm sure but I've seen all of the SEVERAL JH made and book to screen wise, they are the best.:wub:

03-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Rebus
mississippigirl Wrote:Yeah, BellaBoo, that's from 'Dead Souls'. Actually the friends from Fife story was printed here in a small, hardback novella called "Death Is Not the End", then carried over to 'Dead Souls'. I will watch again, I'm sure but I've seen all of the SEVERAL JH made and book to screen wise, they are the best.:wub:

Just finished Dead Souls, have to say I really enjoyed this book ( I think you can get some of the John Hannah ones out on DVD).

I notice Rebus is back on Monday with Fleshmarket Close, that is the last book that Ian Rankin wrote on Rebus. It's strange why they have missed so many out but I do hope that it is a whole lot better than The Falls.

Although I was disappointed in The Falls I will be watching it on Monday!

03-03-2006, 08:19 PM
Rebus
Yup - I came on here to say that it was beginning again 9pm Monday night.

I have Fleshmarket Close on my bookshelf and have read it, but can't remember it - and I am now in a Quandary to see if I can skim read it over the weekend and see how realistic the dramatisation is - or forget it and watch it Monday and then read it again!!

OH God I hate dilemma's!!!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]