Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recovering XP
15-08-2005, 05:07 PM
Recovering XP

My old dad has got himself in a bit of a pickle, bless him!

Anyway what he's done is by trying to wipe of MSN Messenger he has uninstalled MSN Explorer ... don't ask how or why!

Anyway upshot is that he was advised to get an XP Recovery disk otherwise he would loose everything on his hard drive, so he got an XP Recovery disk and he has installed it ... but still nothing seems to be happening ... he still can't get an internet connection. Has he done something terribly wrong?

Any help would make an old man very happy ... and a youngish woman (cos then he wouldn't keep "popping" round to use my computer ... honestly the internet nerds are annoying aren't they!

Any theories, people? Or have I not explained myself fully?

thank you!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-08-2005, 06:13 PM
Recovering XP
I have really no idea about your XP problem but I have found the best way to deal with internet nerds is to move and don't leave a forwarding address :ninja:
15-08-2005, 08:58 PM
Recovering XP
His internet connection is not related to MSN Explorer, I don't think. He needs to sort out his ISP connection again. Presumably his ISP will have supplied suitable install disks.

Author of the fantasy thriller, Insensate - available for all ebook readers and iDevices. Find out more >here<. Only 49p/99¢!
10-09-2005, 04:50 PM
Recovering XP
Dol, he can set up his internet connection manually.

He needs to click on START then CONTROL PANEL, then click on NETWORK CONNECTIONS. On the left hand side of the screen it says, "set up a new connection". Click on that and a little set up wizard appears. He needs to simply follow the instructions in the boxes and make sure he has his Internet password and username to hand, along with the telephone number of his internet connection (if he is on dial up).

Edited to say : sorry chick, just realised that the date of your original post was last month, however the above is useful to know, should anyone else lose their connection.

Hope you dad is sorted now, Dol