Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reuters on IAC - the darker side
21-11-2004, 11:57 AM

Even news group Reuters is talking about it.

"The show offers a perfect microcosm of 21st century Britain where pursuing 15 minutes of fame is the Holy Grail."

However, their article suggests there is a darker side ...."Psychologist John Maltby found that fans who intensely monitor their favourite star are harming their own mental health because they prefer to adore their idol rather than face the stresses of everyday life."
"We are now investigating whether this obsession can lead to stalking," he said."
Full article
Do you think this could be true?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2004, 01:47 PM
I think it's an attempt to intellectualise the trivial in order to justify an interest to be honest!

It's a chicken and egg situation really, and we would probably be better off asking if the media drives or simply reflects an obsession with celebrity?
21-11-2004, 03:44 PM
What a load of rubbish.

Watching a reality show is nothing more than a relaxing escapism. No worse or dangerous than reading a book, or watching a film. Man watching has always been a human interest, ask Desmond Morris.

You will always get a nutter who takes it to the extreme. :ninja:
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-11-2004, 08:14 PM
I have to agree with you Cat.

Escapism TV, or as I call it 'chewing gum for the brain'!
We can watch the celebs dealing with the creepy-crawlies, thanking our lucky stars we're not there with them!!
We'll laugh at the stuff they get up to :laugh: , which is supposed to be the best medicine...
Come on you psychologists out there, it's just a tv programme!! Just a bit of harmless fun!! :tv_happy:

Karen xx

PS Joe to win!! :wave:
Find all posts by this user