Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ringtones... ARGH!!!
12-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Ringtones... ARGH!!!

Not only do we have to sit through endless Crazy Frog adverts and irritating little chicks that you want to kick, but the ringtones have now gone one step too far!!

I just got a text on my phone saying "Free Star Wars III Ringtone" so I clicked okay (the message was just that, nothing more) and then I recieved about 5 texts, all the same but with a different word, like Groove Ringtones or Funk Ringtones... and then something I didn't read properly, but there was something about £12 a month and texting something to stop receiving things from them, but I deleted them all really quickly in a bit of a panic.

Anyway I topped my phone up yesterday with £10, and I could only have used £1 of credit between then and now and I have £1.27 left!

I've never requested any ringtones or anything, so I want to know why they're texting me.

And I'm also worried, because I think they're charging £1.50 a text and they only stopped because I have less than that in credit, and if I top up again will I get them again?

I don't have a number to get it to stop because I deleted them quickly.

I think the number I got them from was 88866.

Grrr... It's probably something I've done, but I don't know what...

There are three types of mathmatician:
Those who can count and those who can't!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Ringtones... ARGH!!!
I'm sorry to say that it sounds like you have been caught by mean ring tone people. They will keep on texting you at a charge to you of £1.50 (or whatever they charge) per text. To get them to stop you have to text STOP to the number they are coming from - I guess it is 88866. This text will cost you the same as it does for ringtone texts, but will be the last text you pay for.

What makes it really galling is that these companies haven't technically done anything illegal. B*stards!
Find all posts by this user
12-06-2005, 04:35 PM
Ringtones... ARGH!!!
That is absolutely terrible!
12-06-2005, 08:33 PM
Ringtones... ARGH!!!
Ooo that would seriously pee me off Flyo...I hope you can get them stopped soon! :ranting:

I sometimes get texts saying 'Someone in your area is interested in meeting you. For their number dial....'. I think someone somewhere has sent my number to a dating agency or something...it really annoys but I don't know if I have had to pay to receive these creepy texts! :mad2:

I also had one the other day telling me of a web update or something....I have WAP on my moblie...I never use it...it came with the phone...I didn't want it but it was the cheapest phone on my network I could find at the time.......I use my phone to text and to receive calls that is all....I had to dial up so I could get rid of the icon displaying that such a message had been sent..all at my expense...otherwise the phone would keep reminding me it was there... :ranting:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
12-06-2005, 08:53 PM
Ringtones... ARGH!!!
Crikey I think I have a similar thing on mine.

I just use mine for texts, rarely and emergencies, I know nowt about em really.

I get a ROMPIS message, that is a horoscope, never asked for it tho, and I dunno how to stop it!

Bloody phones Sad

M

Intergalactic Space Cat

[Image: wildchild.jpg]
Home of Jimi, the Wild Child.
12-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Ringtones... ARGH!!!
I think these companies are terrible.

They get kids to text once and have them in a contract costing them a fortune. I've read the small print on the ad's on tv and you pay £3/week for the "priveledge" of using them.
It's a con and these companies are just conning people out of there money.
In my opinion they should all be banned.

Fly I hope you get yours stopped.

[Image: 429.gif]
12-06-2005, 09:40 PM
Ringtones... ARGH!!!
Rothera Wrote:What makes it really galling is that these companies haven't technically done anything illegal. B*stards!

This is the thing that pees me off, everything they do is legal... and I've probably done something, but I can't work out what! I use my phone quite a bit, about £20 a month, just for texts really, telling my mates where to meet and whatever, but I'm not an excessive user. It's just annoying! Gonna text stop now.

There are three types of mathmatician:
Those who can count and those who can't!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  ARGH ! 6 year olds on the rampage! bridge 19 1,914 22-09-2005 06:19 PM
Last Post: bridge