Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robert Muhrat and his £600k payout
18-07-2008, 10:03 AM

What do others think of this? If Madelaine's abductor has not been found, how can you be 100% certain he didnt have anything to do with it? It seems an obsene payout to me compared to what the armed forces get for terrible injuries.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-07-2008, 05:04 PM
it is a lot of money - but isn't it from the newspapers? and they probably made a lot of money on the back of selling the stories.

I have no sympathy for newspapers getting sued for printing shoddy stories they haven't researched properly.

good luck to the poor bloke - it must have been a terrible time for him.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-07-2008, 03:53 PM
I think Dol's right - the payout was from newspapers who printed libellous stories about his involvement in this case.

Despite extensive police investigation, Robert Muhrat was never found to be either guilty of Madeline's abduction nor involved in any other way, yet the British press were printing articles with a strong insinutation (at the very least) that he was involved. They have ruined this man's reputation, social standing....his very life really and there is every chance he might be innocent of any wrongdoing. It could very well be that he was simply an innocent man in the wrong place at the wrong time, yet how many people will now associate his name with child abduction/murder/peadophilia? How can he now live a normal life under his present identity? Imagine how awful that would be as an innocent person.

Personlly, I don't begrudge him one penny of the payout.

If it were subsquently proved that he was involved in the case, then I still wouldn't bedrudge him the payout. As Dol says, the press should not be printing these article in the absence of the requisite proof. These articles ruin the lives of the people involved, and in the instance that the person was innocent, there really is no adequate compensation.
Find all posts by this user