Poll: Do you think Wayne Rooney is a good Role model?
Yes
No
No idea
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rooney dropped by school chiefs
02-05-2005, 10:51 PM

Wayne Rooney has been dropped as guest of honour at a top schools match after organisers said he was "not a good role model".

Story Here

I think this is really a step in the right direction, footballers are role models for the younger generation and should try to set a good example for the kids to follow.

What do you think? Do you think they have made the right decision and who do you think should be his replacement?
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2005, 06:32 PM
I agree with their decision, he, like a lot of footie players, is a $$$$ for brains little ****.

I can only seriously think of Gary Linneker Smile

M

Intergalactic Space Cat

[Image: wildchild.jpg]
Home of Jimi, the Wild Child.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2005, 06:41 PM
I think if they want to set an example they need to stop paying these over-rated yobs so much money and treating them like some kind of hero-worship. They kick a ball around a few nights a week and that gives them right to millions - it makes me sick! :ranting:

As to who replaces the Boy Wonder - don't give a fig!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
03-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Whilst I think he is a truly gifted young man with a football, his maturity and self control leave a lot to be desired.

Being talented is not enough and more people in the public eye should realise that.
Find all posts by this user
03-05-2005, 07:25 PM
He is all those things you said Patsy! It is a shame he can't behave himself. I think the English Schools' Football Association have done the right thing, perhaps he will learn from this, I hope so for his sake.

I would like to see Jamie Rednapp or Michael Owen replace him.

Bella.... the English Schools' Football Association don't really have any influence over the pay of the players but hopefully their stance on this will show the powers that be that maybe they need to do something to keep the players in check.
03-05-2005, 07:36 PM
I really do not like him.....I would rather see England play and lose than watch him wear the England shirt....he represents all that is wrong about the game to me! :ranting:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
04-05-2005, 06:50 AM
ilovesurvivor Wrote:Bella.... the English Schools' Football Association don't really have any influence over the pay of the players but hopefully their stance on this will show the powers that be that maybe they need to do something to keep the players in check.

Yes I was aware of that. The problem of over-inflated paya came about when Sky got a foothold on the TV rights, they have made these yobs into international stars. The thing is, there is god knows how many footballers out there and if we are really honest there is only a handful who make it into the media arena. I would rather read about how they are doing on the pitch as opposed to off it. It's a shame as if you are a really good player as Rooney obviously is, the media scum are just desperate to print all the bad things that he has done, yes his swearing is awful but is he really the only footballer who swears, I don't think so. And some of those guys on the field do worse that swear. And are we really to believe the story about him slapping his girlfriend? Maybe he did, maybe he didn't as I have said before you just don't know what to believe in the papers anymore. For example (this is off-topic slightly) my friend recently done an article in a paper about PND and even there they wrote things that she said when she hadn't at all! The media build these guys up and then take great delight in seeing them fall - Gazza, Beckham etc.

Money has ruined the game, pure & simple and it is the poor fan that has to fork out more & more each season for their season ticket, Euro games, strips etc.

04-05-2005, 07:48 AM
I don't read the newspapers so I really have no idea about the story of him slapping his girlfriend so I really can't comment on that issue. But I do agree that you can't believe everything you read in the papers.

But it's his behaviour on the pitch (which the tabloids can't misrepresent as it is shown on the tv as it happens) is the really worrying thing, it is not just the swearing which I am sure most of them do, it is his whole attitude, he comes across as very aggressive. And for that alone, imo makes him not a suitable role model for the children who look up to football stars. There are plenty of players in the Premiership that don't behave that way, who are good role models and hopefully English Schools' Football Association, will now go on to choose one of those!
04-05-2005, 08:27 AM
ilovesurvivor Wrote:But it's his behaviour on the pitch (which the tabloids can't misrepresent as it is shown on the tv as it happens) is the really worrying thing, it is not just the swearing which I am sure most of them do, it is his whole attitude, he comes across as very aggressive. And for that alone, imo makes him not a suitable role model for the children who look up to football stars. There are plenty of players in the Premiership that don't behave that way, who are good role models and hopefully English Schools' Football Association, will now go on to choose one of those!

I agree ILS, but Wayne Rooney probably regarded the likes of Roy Keane, Eric Kantona, David Beckham, and Gazza as his role models, then he really hasn't had a good start! I mean just recently didn't David Beckham call a linesman a son of whore! I would seriously question his role model as dad far less a footballer when you think you have the devine right to go around calling people that!

Gary Linekar, Jamie Redknapp, I agree lovely blokes with gorgeous, lovely wives who aren't striving to get on the cover of Vogue, they sadly don't get a look-in.

04-05-2005, 08:49 AM
Bella Wrote:Wayne Rooney probably regarded the likes of Roy Keane, Eric Kantona, David Beckham, and Gazza as his role models, then he really hasn't had a good start! I mean just recently didn't David Beckham call a linesman a son of whore! I would seriously question his role model as dad far less a footballer when you think you have the devine right to go around calling people that!

Exactly, I agree that all of the above players behaviour on the pitch has left a lot to be desired and none of them are good role models. What needs to happen is that these players need to be punished severely when they display this sort of behaviour and then they will perhaps think twice before behaving as they do. Unfortunately this doesn't happen, take David Beckham as an example, he cheats (see a previous thread) and verbally abuses linesmen and yet he is still England Captain. WTF is that all about, what sort of example does that show the young people?