Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Royal Variety Show
11-12-2005, 09:29 PM
Royal Variety Show

Honestly, every year I despair of the producers of this rubbish.

I just don't see why they think a 70+ woman wants to see Katherine Jenkins (who has a lovely voice) dressed in a plastic "light-up" dress with men wearing blue plastic masks singing a not very good version of that song.

The Catherine Tate stuff made me cringe with embarrassment. Talk about push it too far!

The commedian's aren't funny.

Il Divo murdered that song - G4 do it much better.

Even Sir Cliff, although good for his age, is showing his age (a bit - lol).

All those flashing lights must have given the Queen a headache pour soul. I bet she'd rather be at home having a little tipple with her feet up and surrounded by Corgis Smile

Oh well, see what the next bit brings. Ozzie Osborne? That should be interesting Sad
Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2005, 09:31 PM
Royal Variety Show
I can't think of anything ANYTHING at all that would induce me to watch the Royal Variety Performance!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2005, 11:57 PM
Royal Variety Show
Dolores Wrote:I can't think of anything ANYTHING at all that would induce me to watch the Royal Variety Performance!

Same here. Id have to be tied up and matchsticks forced into my eyes to make me watch that utter crapola....

Liking the cut of your jib.........[Image: aniburns.gif]
11-12-2005, 11:58 PM
Royal Variety Show
Well despite the fact that I don't like acrobats, I have to admit they were amazing.

Was annoyed with the intrduction to Bocelli as "the man who had overcome his blindness to perform" and to Bryn Terfel (sp) as "the best opera singer in the world!!!" What an insult to Bocelli who far outshone the other geezer.

Ozzie managed to pull off a reasonable performance but the sickly introduction by his wife was way over the top.

I missed most of Will Young's song because I talking to my son but the bit I saw was good - I'd like to know what that song was called if anyone heard it please?

Another abysmal commedian (I'm sure they had to use canned laughter) and Shirley Bassey, magnificent as ever but top billing material, naaaah I don't think so, not these days.

Why did I watch it? Well there wasn't much else on and it was ok for background. I had thought it was worth suffering to see Jenkins, Bocelli and Il Divo but have to admit that it wasn't worth it. Might as well have sat listening to my mp3 player.
12-12-2005, 01:07 PM
Royal Variety Show
I'm another who wouldn't watch this. It's such outdated 'end-of-the-pier' stylee telly.

I thought Shirley Bassey was dead :unsure: and I'm sure Cliff would fall over if it wasn't for the botox :laugh:

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
12-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Royal Variety Show
Critique Wrote:Honestly, every year I despair of the producers of this rubbish.

I just don't see why they think a 70+ woman wants to see Katherine Jenkins (who has a lovely voice) dressed in a plastic "light-up" dress with men wearing blue plastic masks singing a not very good version of that song.

The Catherine Tate stuff made me cringe with embarrassment. Talk about push it too far!

The commedian's aren't funny.

Il Divo murdered that song - G4 do it much better.

Even Sir Cliff, although good for his age, is showing his age (a bit - lol).

All those flashing lights must have given the Queen a headache pour soul. I bet she'd rather be at home having a little tipple with her feet up and surrounded by Corgis Smile

Oh well, see what the next bit brings. Ozzie Osborne? That should be interesting Sad

Hello critique,

Production and choice of music can be a problem for a televised Royal Variety show, this is due to the age mix of viewers varying from children to the retired in there 90's.

This year the producers have tried to find something for everyone, which is one of the reasons why I feel this year saw a drastic improvement. Drastic in the variety of acts and in the quality of the performances they gave.

I have listed what my thoughts are on this in another thread detailing what areas had in my view been improved upon. Former years of this show I would remonstrate as being very poor, with almost a good 50% being completely unknown and more likely to be found in a poor grade seaside theatre gang show review /come variety night/come cabaret concert. Some of the early years more likely, to have been closely akin to war time barricade concerts, probably only enjoyable by those who had proudly served there country and were at least 80 -85. no disrepect intended but I think you must admit that variety acts have changed and this means improvement inevitable.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Maureen
Northern angel.
My father had an old saying and I think it goes like this.

You can only please some of the folk some of the time, but you can't please some of the folk all of the time!
Find all posts by this user
12-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Royal Variety Show
I watched snippets of this while I was doing the ironing etc and was not impressed. Joe Pascalli was cringworthingly embarrassing as was Catherine Tate (Bob is so much better at the "not bothered" bit). The host and hostess did not work well together. KAtryn Jenkins dress was AMAZING and those blue people were just scary! Will Young was brilliant but he was the only thing that was. I forgot about The Sports Personality but it was obviously going to be a cricketer that would win.......was it? And it was obvious that the Cricket Team would win the Team of the Year and as we didn't have the Olympics this year the highlights would have been mostly football, I suppose! Did Ellen McArthur get a mention btw?

I turned over to Channel 5 at 9pm and watched a drama A Perfect Day starring Claire Goose and rather good it was too! It didn't finish until 11pm so was a bit tired this morning!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
13-12-2005, 09:38 AM
Royal Variety Show
I actually enjoyed what i saw of the Royal Variety. I wouldnt normally tune in, but i thought it was fast paced, and kinda good.

The Blue Men were just fab, and i could of watched them all day.

I wasnt keen on Will Youngs song. It was music to slash your wrists to. I though Il Divo were as hunky as ever.

I too thought Catherine Tate and Joe Pasquali (sp) were awful, and a complete embaressment.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Jonathan Ross Show Friday Night Punkyfish 7 1,656 20-05-2007 12:23 PM
Last Post: Patsy
  The Jeremy Kyle Show Pandora 5 1,370 03-05-2006 01:21 AM
Last Post: Critique
  The South Bank Show. Northern angel 1 784 13-03-2006 02:47 AM
Last Post: Northern angel
  A Much Improved Royal Variety Show. Northern angel 8 1,927 19-12-2005 03:24 AM
Last Post: Northern angel
  I want them to show reruns of....... Woodstock 53 4,387 05-12-2005 03:51 PM
Last Post: Aondeag
  Ant & Dec's Game Show Marathon! ils 16 3,410 17-10-2005 04:39 PM
Last Post: Pandora
  Show vs. Show - Comparison JakeyBoy 20 2,789 16-10-2005 11:49 AM
Last Post: JakeyBoy
  Rev Run's Show on MTV(this thursday) DJTrey313 1 1,055 10-10-2005 08:21 PM
Last Post: DJTrey313
  The Catherine Tate Show Pandora 1 796 23-07-2005 05:16 PM
Last Post: Pandora
  Fav tv show tonee 28 3,217 01-03-2005 12:20 PM