Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rubbish Bag 'Tax'
13-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Rubbish Bag 'Tax'

Householders could be charged according to the amount of rubbish collected from their homes under plans to reform council taxes. Sir Michael Lyons, who is conducting an inquiry into the future of local authority taxation, told The Times he was looking at a range of user charges, including environmental tariffs. They would be paid on top of the council tax in order to make the cost of services more visible, the paper reported.

The plans could allow councils to charge residents for the amount of waste they produce, raising the prospect of bags of waste being weighed by collectors.

Other possibilities include charging less to greener households and those who separate their waste.

Sir Michael said: "I am clear that if people want more services, want to tackle difficult problems like congestion, environmental sustainability and water quality ... you can't just tackle those problems and say you don't want to pay more."

The Government adviser went on to say he was studying European countries which already operate charges for waste, ranging between 25p and 50p a kilo.

His comments come as local authorities try to hit ambitious Government targets for recycling household waste.

So - what do you think ?

I personally would be quite annoyed i think if i was charged more because my rubbish bags are heavy. I tend to put out two rubbish sacks a week. One of them is always heavy as we have used cat litter in it. To make us pay extra for this would be very bad news.

As for recycling, i have no problem with doing my 'bit' for the environment, if i was provided the bins. We have a garden waste wheely bin which gets collected once a fortnight (which isnt enough in the summer as mowing our front lawn fills it), but we do always use it, and never put garden waste in our general sacks. If we were provided with bins for bottles, cans etc i would certainly use them. But we havent.

We havent even got wheely bins for our general waste.

So - your views ?

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2006, 10:53 AM
Rubbish Bag 'Tax'
We have an awful system here. Rubbish is now colected from the front of the houses, so instead of leaving it all in one area at the back where the lorry cpuld drive up and collect, we now have to trail it round to the front once a week. No wheelie bins either.

And plastic boxes for recycling. Open plastic boxes so that everything blows away overnight.

And for garden waste, we have to buy special bags at nearly £2 a shot. A couple of flower heads and a weed and they're full.

Bone of contention round 'ere :laugh:

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
13-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Rubbish Bag 'Tax'
Fee For All Wrote:Rubbish is now colected from the front of the houses, so instead of leaving it all in one area at the back where the lorry cpuld drive up and collect, we now have to trail it round to the front once a week. No wheelie bins either.

And plastic boxes for recycling. Open plastic boxes so that everything blows away overnight.

We have to lug all our rubbish bags to the front of the house too - and the bags get attacked by the birds who live in the trees opposite. So many times not i have been on my hands and knees scraping up mouldy food that is scattered on the pavement due to those birds. A wheely bin would be blissful.

As for plastic recycling boxes - its more than we've got :bored:

13-06-2006, 10:58 AM
Rubbish Bag 'Tax'
Sadly Bonnie, I usually end up with the contents of my neighbours all over my garden. The same bloody newspaper's been getting recycled for weeks now.

My box is used for shed storage.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
13-06-2006, 10:59 AM
Rubbish Bag 'Tax'
Hello Bonsai,

Just one or two comments here. Surprise surprise from she who writes for Britain.

The idea of charging according to the wieght of your rubbish or whether you are actively engaged in a recylcling programme to reduce bills is not new.

My final point is that it is just another way for local Governments with Central government approval to part you from your cash. Another tax and since 1997 there have been 80 tax changes or new tax legislation details inaugurated, to take more off you.

I on this count feel that council taxes are already high and that funding for this new incentive on rubbish collecting should come from an area of excessive spending. I,e the 42 billion council house makeover fund.

Maureen
Northern angel.

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
13-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Rubbish Bag 'Tax'
We have one black wheelie bin (for rubbish rubbish) and one green wheelie bin (for green rubbish) and they collect a different one each week...one week black bin the next green bin the black etc...

It's a ****** when you miss a black bin week as the rubbish is in the bin for a month!

Also, although there is lots of stuff that can be recycled now, even the green bin can only take - plastic bottles without tops, all paper (but not the yellow pages)and cardboard and all cans!

I collect my glass in a seperate bin to take to the bottle bank and use big shopping bags so as to reduce the number of carrier bags I wind up with as unless you go to Morrisons you can't recycle these (and I never go to Morrisons...even if I wanted to pop my plastic bags there I would have to pay to park unless I shopped) - there is nowhere to recyle yogurt pots or magarine tubs and the like!

I would love a garden/kitchen food (peelings) waste bin but it's a waste of time me having a compost heap since I never do anything in the garden bar hanging my washing on the line...I hate gardening!

I would pay extra if we could recycle everything that is recycleable but until we can they can kiss my finely toned bottom!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
13-06-2006, 11:13 AM
Rubbish Bag 'Tax'
Bonsai Wrote:We have to lug all our rubbish bags to the front of the house too - and the bags get attacked by the birds who live in the trees opposite. So many times not i have been on my hands and knees scraping up mouldy food that is scattered on the pavement due to those birds. A wheely bin would be blissful.

As for plastic recycling boxes - its more than we've got :bored:

Hello again Bonsai,

The rubbish round my way is collected from the back. I am curious though how the local authority would know what to charge for your waste as someone elses could end up in your bin. The recycling boxes are collected once a fortnight from the front. But for some reason or other passers by can not stop themselves from going through your neatly packed box waiting for collection, which if left in an untidy fashion or appears to be overflowing, they then refuse to pick up.

The lane is always a mess and the residents are constantly having to clean up after the bin men have left. In addition to this a large proportion of the bins are not returned to there rightful gate and my gate will have about 20 around it come friday mornings.This must be annoying for people half way down the lane having to retrieve there bin.

Maureen
Northern angel.

13-06-2006, 11:39 AM
Rubbish Bag 'Tax'
It seems reasonable enough to me. THe more waste you produce the more the cost of disposal, so charging for volume seems appropriate. And if it encourages recycling even better.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
13-06-2006, 12:20 PM
Rubbish Bag 'Tax'
survivorfan Wrote:And if it encourages recycling even better.

Recycling doesnt seem to be a problem for most ... if the relevant bins were provided.

13-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Rubbish Bag 'Tax'
survivorfan Wrote:It seems reasonable enough to me. THe more waste you produce the more the cost of disposal, so charging for volume seems appropriate. And if it encourages recycling even better.

Hello survivorfan,

I agree that it in principal it sounds reasonable to charge more for bulk, however in certain areas it isn't always your rubbish that ends up in your bin. In addition the bin men round my way do a terrible job sometimes the lane will resemble a demolition site once they have left.

Recycling is better for the environment but these boxes should have lockable lids to deter those with wandering hands leaving a mess.

More areas should have recycling bin points to cover for excess amounts.

Maureen
Northern angel