Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SO: The Future
17-09-2007, 03:23 PM

Ok it's pretty obvious that SO is on a downward trend and has been for some time. I don't want SO to die, but my time is limited. In order for SO to continue it has to change. It's no good in it's current format. It no longer has a focus. It was kinda tv related with a slant towards reality tv shows. However, TV has definitely changed, viewing figs are down and there are bigger and better web sites to get all the latest news/info.

I can proudly say that SO was THE place for UK Survivor and the first couple of IACGMOOH shows (beating the official sites in the search engines - ha!). SO has won the "Yahoo Site of of Day" award, been recommended by Steve Wright on his Radio show, highlighted on Invicta Radio and mentioned in several publications. However, that was then and this now.

We've discussed it before and I've been racking my brains how I could rebrand the whole site and give it a purpose. The only thing I've come up with is to make it all about "surviving online", but my idea is all very wishy washy really. Stuff about relationships online and doing business online? I was trying to think of something that could make it viral and spread the word... and the only thing I came up with is a sort of badge - "I'm a Survivor... Online!".

Life throws all sorts of crap at us, so SO could become a place for people to say "hey I'm a survivor!". :w00t:

Areas of discussion might include "Surviving Work", "Surviving Relationships", "Surviving Life". I've mentioned this to another member (not sure if they want to be identified) who has developed the idea further with...
Quote:a I'm a survivor as in "I will survive" stylee. It could be a site for newly single people who have survived a relationship breakup. Men can give advice to laydees about how to change a plug, mow the lawn etc, and men can get tips on how to iron and cook (without quite such an obvious role stereotyping). basically it's a singles joint cunningly disguised as a community, so people don't feel like saddos signing up for an internet dating site.

So, what do you think? Do you like the idea? Got a better one? I'd be interested in hearing your views/ideas.

Haydon

[Image: pot001.gif]jobs kent
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2007, 05:19 PM
More of a question really - do you need to keep the 'Survivor' name (with the site based on a 'survivor' theme, whatever that might be) or could the name (and hence the focus of the site) change completely?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
17-09-2007, 05:28 PM
As a married member I don't like the "singles joint" idea!!!

I'm with SF - does the Survivor name have to stay?

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
17-09-2007, 07:04 PM
Looks like Haydon's looking for development ideas rather than reinforcement of how we don't want it change.

Could we be a bit more solution focussed?

I think the half dozen remaining people who still give a **** need to have a long hard think about a completely new type of site. The current format has clearly died a death and no-one but us is interested in it, so it's a bit selfish and misguided to try to re-invent a wheel that's broken.

I think we have to discard our minority interest in the place, face the fact that it's over, and think of ways of helping Haydon to create a funky new site that will attract people.

Bollox to potplants
17-09-2007, 10:07 PM
So, what are we thinking?

Come up with something new and exciting that no one else is doing, or just nick some good ideas from other web sites that seem to be popular?

Probably a bigger question is are people still using forums like they were a few years ago when it was all exciting and new.

Do people who need online connectivity get what they need from facebook or myspace.......whatever they are?

I think a commonly googled word in the new site name would be a good idea.

I'm thinking naked......:pimp:

Naked in the name that is, I'm not thinking while I'm in the nude......well, akshooly.....

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
17-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Ok, just googled a few ideas and I think I see a flaw in my suggestion. Blush

However, it looks like thenakeddebate.com and thenakeddiscussion.com are free.

A place for stripped down discussion and debate!

I think I'm going to shut up now.

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
18-09-2007, 12:17 AM
Hello Haydon,

I feel this subject has come up before.

I think the reason why SO has been quiet for some time is due to losing it's focus around reality TV.

Survivor was a reality tv programme and there have been other good reality type TV programmes since.

Also there is something about the search engine facilities which do not throw up Survivor on line as a forum, so I assume that there are pages which are just not being read.

Maybe the key to Survivor on lines survival rests in an automatic feed and read system which immediately places it into the search engines when questions are raised via browsers looking for articles on television programmes.

Re- focussing on TV pages.

Everything else survivor on line has would then come as a bonus.

Maureen
Northern angel.:good:

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
18-09-2007, 12:27 AM
Groucho Wrote:So, what are we thinking?

Come up with something new and exciting that no one else is doing, or just nick some good ideas from other web sites that seem to be popular?

Probably a bigger question is are people still using forums like they were a few years ago when it was all exciting and new.

Do people who need online connectivity get what they need from facebook or myspace.......whatever they are?

I think a commonly googled word in the new site name would be a good idea.

I'm thinking naked......:pimp:

Naked in the name that is, I'm not thinking while I'm in the nude......well, akshooly.....

Hello Groucho,

Yes people do still use forums and yes connectivity is the ultimate goal to acheive from a forum, that like minded people can have a natter about something which interests them.

Your idea for a commonly googled name is excellent, but I also think that a commonly googled subject should also become available through browsing for example Hell's Kitchen has just finished tonight, had there been a vibrant thread or two or board dedicated to the programme this would have brought in all the fans of reality based cooking programmes. Everything else would have come as an extra.

You dear Groucho could have volunteered to be the naked chef! :wink2:

Maureen
Northern angel.

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
19-09-2007, 11:52 PM
I think the minority style boards have had their moment.

It needs to be an 'everyman' style that would attract googlers of all sorts, but with a community type area for general banter. Digital Spy has a huge membership which always surprises me because it's a bit crap.

Timing would be critical though because you'd probably need a focus to get a decent number in to begin with.

You could try sticking 'Madeleine' in the title :bag:

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
20-09-2007, 07:06 PM
I haven't got any solutions or ideas tbh.

but I'm interested to know how many people want SO to continue and then to see how often those people contribute. I notice some of us log on and don't always post (me included) or sometimes never post.

I have to say the reason I log on and not post is for a few reasons: I can't see anythign I want to reply; I can't think of anything to say or I think it's not worth posting cos I probably wont get many replies so basically I can't be fagged.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The future? Haydon_acc2 13 1,387 05-06-2007 09:16 PM
Last Post: PJ
  Concern for the future Flip 38 2,929 15-05-2005 01:57 PM
Last Post: kookycat