Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SO logo
10-11-2004, 03:38 PM
SO logo

I've only just noticed the poppy above the SO logo Haydon. How long has that been there?

It might not be much, but often it's the combination of the little stimuli (is that the plural?) that makes people remember an event that would otherwise be lost to history.

I'm probably veering into an area more appropriate for another forum, but when I've been into shops and banks etc this week, no one is wearing a poppy. I would have thought large national corporations would have insisted on their employees wearing a red poppy. Why not?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-11-2004, 04:22 PM
SO logo
I noticed it earlier this afternoon and I think it is really a nice touch.

Whilst I was in Jersey last weekend The Chelsea Pensioners were there in the streets with the poppys.....
10-11-2004, 05:12 PM
SO logo
Glad you like it. I did it this afternoon. We should remember, especially as we have servicemen fighting at this very moment.

There have been problems this year in recruiting enough poppy sellers. So, if you haven't seen anyone selling poppies, remember you can always donate online.... https://www.britishlegion.org.uk/helpus/how_online.asp
The page is very slow to load though.
Take a look around their website, it's very interesting.
10-11-2004, 08:11 PM
SO logo
Thanks H - for this.

It is a time of year that I always take time out to remember, I have organised a wonderful service at our Church this year, we hope to have some active servicemen and women attend - we are not far from the British Army Firing Ranges [where a lot of the troops who are presently in Iraq will have trained] and so I have invited them along.
12-11-2004, 08:17 PM
SO logo
This evening was the first time the poppy appeared on my screen :shock: I had read about it here but couldn't see it until this evening.Not that it matters,but does anyone know why it suddenly appeared for me? :confused:

Oh wad some power the giftie gie us
To see oursel's as others see us!'' Robert Burns.
12-11-2004, 10:47 PM
SO logo
Probably something to do with your browser's cache and refreshing the page. When you visit a web page it saves graphics to your temporary internet files folder, so your pc doesn't have to download every graphic each time. Your pc kept loading up the old graphic until this evening.
12-11-2004, 11:18 PM
SO logo
Haydon Wrote:Probably something to do with your browser's cache and refreshing the page. When you visit a web page it saves graphics to your temporary internet files folder, so your pc doesn't have to download every graphic each time. Your pc kept loading up the old graphic until this evening.

Thanks for the answer Haydon. Smile

Oh wad some power the giftie gie us
To see oursel's as others see us!'' Robert Burns.
17-11-2004, 11:37 AM
SO logo
I love the new logo Smile 'Im a celebrity Unofficial Fan Site'. Brilliant :cool2:

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
17-11-2004, 11:44 AM
SO logo
Bonsai Wrote:I love the new logo Smile 'Im a celebrity Unofficial Fan Site'. Brilliant :cool2:

Yes I like it too. Lookin' good Haydon Smile
17-11-2004, 11:44 AM
SO logo
Thanks! You'll like the new IAC section as well hopefully. Smile