Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saddam is dead
30-12-2006, 12:35 PM
Saddam is dead

Today at 6am GMT he was hanged.

Some are saying that hanging him was inhumane, that he should have been given life. Well, just bear in mind that Saddam used to feed men, women and children into tree shredders feet first, in my view that's the way he should have gone, but at one inch per hour.

I hope he rots in hell, and I am glad that piece of evil is off this earth.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2006, 04:05 PM
Saddam is dead
Would have prefered him to rot in jail for the rest of his pitiful life but good riddance anyway.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="Red"]Before criticising someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes...[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-12-2006, 07:13 PM
Saddam is dead
I'm not a fan of the "eye for an eye" philosophy. Two wrongs don't make right, they just make more wrongs in my opinion. I can't help thinking that those who are outraged by his murderous behaviour, yet rejoice in his murder by the State are somewhat hypocritical. I can wholeheartedly understand it, but I don't agree with it.

Having said that, its nearly impossible to feel any kind of sympathy for Saddam Hussein, because if anyone ever deserved to die, it was him. There is a justice in his death, even if it makes the people who killed him as base (although not as evil) as he. Though many would argue that killing him was more merciful than letting him live in captivity.
30-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Saddam is dead
Figaro Wrote:I'm not a fan of the "eye for an eye" philosophy. Two wrongs don't make right, they just make more wrongs in my opinion. I can't help thinking that those who are outraged by his murderous behaviour, yet rejoice in his murder by the State are somewhat hypocritical. I can wholeheartedly understand it, but I don't agree with it.
I know what you mean but it's just human nature to sometimes think that two wrongs DO in fact make a right. I think that anyone who says otherwise must be either a) a living saint or b) telling porkies!
As I said, I'd have prefered it if he spent the remainder of his life in jail but thinking about it - hypocritical or not - I, for one, am glad he's dead.

[/SIZE]
30-12-2006, 08:09 PM
Saddam is dead
PJ Wrote:I know what you mean but it's just human nature to sometimes think that two wrongs DO in fact make a right. I think that anyone who says otherwise must be either a) a living saint or b) telling porkies!
As I said, I'd have prefered it if he spent the remainder of his life in jail but thinking about it - hypocritical or not - I, for one, am glad he's dead.

Yes, I agree that that it is human nature to want vengeance. But I can assure you that I am neither a living saint, nor am I telling porkies. I am just rationalising in an objective way.

I totally understand the human desire to punish an evil man with his death, and if Saddam Hussein had killed one of my family members using one of his unique and barbaric methods I have no doubt that I would be right up there at the front of the queue beggin to be the one who slipped the noose round his neck.

But as I am not a person who has suffered personally at his hands, I am able to be objective, and looking at things objectively (rather than emotionally) is the only way to decide the right and wrong of any situation. I don't agree with Capital Punishment. I balk whenever I hear news of the latest person on California's death row to face a lethal injection, not because I think the criminal is innocent, or reformed, but because I think it is no persons right to take the life of another.

I think the same in this case.

But I have no doubt that I would alter my views radically if one of my own family members had suffered at Saddam's hands.
31-12-2006, 09:54 AM
Saddam is dead
La Freak Wrote:Today at 6am GMT he was hanged.

Some are saying that hanging him was inhumane, that he should have been given life. Well, just bear in mind that Saddam used to feed men, women and children into tree shredders feet first, in my view that's the way he should have gone, but at one inch per hour.

I hope he rots in hell, and I am glad that piece of evil is off this earth.

How do you square this with your Buddhist interests?

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
31-12-2006, 03:35 PM
Saddam is dead
PJ Wrote:two wrongs DO in fact make a right. I think that anyone who says otherwise must be either a) a living saint or b) telling porkies!

PJ, this doesn't say much for the quality of your thinking.

31-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Saddam is dead
survivorfan Wrote:PJ, this doesn't say much for the quality of your thinking.
Oh no! Considering I hold your opinion in such high regard, my New Year is well and truly ruined now! Thanks a bunch.

[/SIZE]
31-12-2006, 08:39 PM
Saddam is dead
Sorry about that! Never mind you can console yourself watching the webcast of Saddam being hanged.

01-01-2007, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 01-01-2007 04:51 PM by Patsy.)
Saddam is dead
I thought the broadcasting of his hanging and the picture of his dead body on the front pages of the newspapers was sick and mawkish. As Figs says, I can be objective and toe the anti-capital punishment line because his actions have not affected me directly. Yes, I can understand that it needed to be recorded to prove his death, but I don't feel that broadcasting it all over the world on prime-time telly was necessary.

Also I thought Margaret "Red Rum" Beckett did a grand job in objecting against his impending death. "We don't condone hanging in Britain, but if that's what you have to do........." Way to protest, Margaret.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Outcry over Saddam aides execution Slipper 2 761 16-01-2007 11:48 PM
Last Post: PJ
  James Brown, dead at 73 msgirl 2 817 26-12-2006 06:22 AM
Last Post: Coastie
  Saddam sentenced to death! Bella 23 2,310 08-11-2006 09:17 AM
Last Post: littlemissbig
  Slipper dead! Dolores 7 1,088 19-09-2005 04:19 PM
Last Post: Slipper