Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saddam to hang!
28-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Saddam to hang!

Well it looks as if he will hang pretty soon. People on another forum are talking about whether it will be a public hanging or not? And if it's not, how will anyone be sure he really is dead?

Also, when there is a capital punishment thread, normally the majority are against any form of capital punishment, but during this thread, the majority
are swinging the other way (no pun intended :kidSmile. What do you think? Does he deserve this, or if you are against capital punishment, do your views still stay the same in this circumstance?

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2006, 10:57 AM
Saddam to hang!
tigger Wrote:Well it looks as if he will hang pretty soon. People on another forum are talking about whether it will be a public hanging or not? And if it's not, how will anyone be sure he really is dead?

Also, when there is a capital punishment thread, normally the majority are against any form of capital punishment, but during this thread, the majority
are swinging the other way (no pun intended :kidSmile. What do you think? Does he deserve this, or if you are against capital punishment, do your views still stay the same in this circumstance?

I am against Capital Punishment for a whole myriad of reasons, and the fact that it is Saddam Hussein - a undisputed murderer and all round baddie - who is to face the noose doesn't alter my opinion.

I just do not feel that it is anyone's place to decide who lives and who dies.

Most people are outraged at the widespread murder committed at the hands of Saddam Hussein, so it seems it a little hypocritical to punish him for it by murdering him, no matter how much it may seem that deserves such an end.
Find all posts by this user
28-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Saddam to hang!
I am against capital punishment, but if that is the law of the land that he ruled, and he was the person responsible for allowing that punishment to continue, then I think it's just that he lives and dies by the same ruling.

Bollox to potplants
28-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Saddam to hang!
floopy Wrote:I am against capital punishment, but if that is the law of the land that he ruled, and he was the person responsible for allowing that punishment to continue, then I think it's just that he lives and dies by the same ruling.

I see your point and its hard to feel sympathy for Saddam (and I don't really) but looking at it objectively, two wrongs don't make a right.

If the people of the land that he ruled were unhappy living under his rule, and terrified by his capacity to murder them (which they were), then treating him as he treated them is slightly hypocritical.

Of course, at least Saddam got a trial, which is more than he gave most of his victims. But just as I didn't agree with Saddam murdering his people, neither do I agree with those same people murdering him.

That's not to say that I don't understand their motivation for doing so.....
28-12-2006, 11:42 AM
Saddam to hang!
Whether he hangs or not will not make any difference to Iraq - he will become a martyr, many people still love & respect him.

There was no real law in that land, the main reason he is getting the death sentence is because someone tried to assisinate him and he retaliated by killing hundreds of people from that town..........what the heck kind of law is that?

To me hanging is too good for him, he should be allowed to live out his life in a miserable existence.

I can't help thinking that after he is hanged there will be more & more bloodshed and innocent people will be caught up in it all........again.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
28-12-2006, 11:46 AM
Saddam to hang!
Bella Wrote:Whether he hangs or not will not make any difference to Iraq - he will become a martyr, many people still love & respect him.

I can't help thinking that after he is hanged there will be more & more bloodshed and innocent people will be caught up in it all........again.

That's a good point.
28-12-2006, 12:01 PM
Saddam to hang!
I'm against capital punishment. This includes for Sadam Hussein. Not cos I feel sorry for him or think he doesn't deserve to die, it's just that I cannot condone capital punishment for anyone, deep down I just know (for me) that it isn't the solution and killing someone is just about the worst crime of all - whatever side you are on and whatever your reasons.
28-12-2006, 03:26 PM
Saddam to hang!
But once he has gone who are the subversives going to campaign for. OK so for a while there will be retribution killings but in the end they will have no figurehead for which they are campaigning. All they will have is a martyr.

Re the lawlessness. Remember that SH ruled by total fear a la Stalin. Once he had gone what happened.. in time the law was restored and life moved on.

Case of breaking eggs to make omelettes in my opinion.
28-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Saddam to hang!
The minute you start changing the laws to suit the perpetrator is the minute you start seriously ****ing things up. Any man should face trial and punishment in the same way, and to change the sentance simply because of who the man is, is wrong, IMO.

If you're unhappy about capital punishment, support whatever is necessary to change that law (although what say we've got in another country's laws, I'm not sure - wouldn't like it if it was the other way round, would we?) through the process of a change in legislation. You can't change the law of a land when you feel like it just cos there's a big personality involved.

So many others have died in the same manner in his country it actually demeans him to have the same fate, in my view. If the outside world were to step in and save him, it could appear that somehow his crimes were not as heinous as those who had died before him.

Apply the law, then seek to change it through the proper means, say I.

Bollox to potplants
28-12-2006, 07:22 PM
Saddam to hang!
floopy Wrote:The minute you start changing the laws to suit the perpetrator is the minute you start seriously ****ing things up. Any man should face trial and punishment in the same way, and to change the sentance simply because of who the man is, is wrong, IMO.

I totally agree with you. Altering the sentance depending on who the accused is would be a ridiculous suggestion. But I don't think anyone was suggesting that - I certainly wasn't. I was just answering the following question that Tigger posed in her first post:

tigger Wrote:....if you are against capital punishment, do your views still stay the same in this circumstance?

Or to put it another way, "Do you agree with Capital Punishment in certain circumstances". My answer is "no".

I wasn't suggesting that the law of any land be changed because the accused is Saddam Hussein. However, if the law of the land was changed to outlaw Capital Punishment because of this case, I would welcome such a change.