Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salmon
24-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Salmon

Now this is a sort of multi-purpose thread, not solely for cooks, or fishermen or pedants - I would like a mix of posters here please?

Firstly is the plural of salmon salmon or salmons?? Or is it ambidextrous and can both with and without be used?

Secondly, will someone please help me - I am cooking a salmon or multiple of such fish for 50 people and I thought 9lbs might not be enough - any ideas??

And thirdly I have not got a fish kettle, although I can borrow one - but looking at the size of Andrea's 5lb Bass [in 'what are you doing now' thread] a 9lb salmon would not fit, either the kettle or the oven.

So fourthly - a friend, has advised I cook it in the dishwasher. So now next question [and I know you ask me for cooking advice - but I am turning the tables] do you know anyone or, indeed have you ever cooked a salmon in the dishwasher??

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
24-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Salmon
I can help you on the first one - the plural of salmon is salmon!

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
24-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Salmon
salm·on [Image: pron.jpg] ([font=verdana, sans-serif] P [/font]) Pronunciation Key (s[Image: abreve.gif]m[Image: prime.gif][Image: schwa.gif]n)
n. pl. salmon or salm·ons

Either are acceptable, although I would advise that a number of salmon swimming together in their natural habitat would be salmon, whilst several individual (and presumably dead) salmon when arranged together on a kitchen unit could be known as salmons.

Salmon, to me, is the more usual.

Bollox to potplants
Find all posts by this user
24-05-2005, 07:32 PM
Salmon
Flip Wrote:Firstly is the plural of salmon salmon or salmons??
Salmon.

Flip Wrote:Secondly, will someone please help me - I am cooking a salmon or multiple of such fish for 50 people and I thought 9lbs might not be enough - any ideas??
2 oz each (if I've worked it out right) doesn't sound like very much.

Flip Wrote:So fourthly - a friend, has advised I cook it in the dishwasher. So now next question [and I know you ask me for cooking advice - but I am turning the tables] do you know anyone or, indeed have you ever cooked a salmon in the dishwasher??

It works fine, just wrap it up very well in foil, dont put a dishwasher tablet in there and rinse it well before you use the dishwasher again.

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
24-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Salmon
floopy Wrote:Either are acceptable, although I would advise that a number of salmon swimming together in their natural habitat would be salmon, whilst several individual (and presumably dead) salmon when arranged together on a kitchen unit could be known as salmons.

Salmon, to me, is the more usual.

Shouldn't that be either is acceptable as it really means either one :bag:

As for cooking in a dishwasher - never heard of it - do tell how it's done.

Still even if it didn't cook it would be lovely and clean :laugh:
24-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Salmon
Oops! just seen Groucho's post. So you really can cook in a dishwasher then. Well I never knew that. What cycle, full wash or economy and with or without dryer?
24-05-2005, 07:44 PM
Salmon
Cooking in a dishwasher - whatever next! Flip I am sure we got a 1lb salmon for 17 people at Christmas, it was a starter and let me tell you there wasn't much left!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
24-05-2005, 07:46 PM
Salmon
Critique Wrote:Oops! just seen Groucho's post. So you really can cook in a dishwasher then. Well I never knew that. What cycle, full wash or economy and with or without dryer?

A medium cycle with dryer should do the trick.

It's only poaching it. Nothing clever Crit. Cool

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
24-05-2005, 07:47 PM
Salmon
Thank you oh pedants - I am so pleased you can say salmons - cos when I try to say how many salmon will I need - I just automatically just say salmons. So thank you English language [and pendants] for making me out to be only a teeny weeny foolish person as oppossed to a large foolish person.

24-05-2005, 07:52 PM
Salmon
Groucho - you are a star and scholar - or is that a gentleman and a scholar??

Well either will do! :smartie:

My long cycle takes 1 hr and 10 mins [ish] will that be enough for a biggun - do you think??