Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Save the planet!
23-09-2005, 12:03 AM
Save the planet!

Why?

Who owns it?

Humans have risen to the top of the food chain, haven't we earned the right to do with the planet what the f**k we like?

What difference does it make in Universal terms if we burn it for a few thousand years?

It will revert to normal eventually, in the blink of an eye in cosmological terms.

If fish ruled the world, Chist only knows what they'd be doing to the environment with their omnipresent blow-holes and scaley deposits!

OK, I know fish dont actually have blow holes.....in this paradigm!

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2005, 02:53 AM
Save the planet!
Groucho Wrote:Humans have risen to the top of the food chain
Sez who? Smile

You see the cows eat the grass, and we eat the cows, and what happens to us when we die? We're eaten by worms. So that places worms at the top of the food chain.

If you're looking for examples of evolutionary success then don't look at humans. We're just beginners. For the ultimate in biological success look to... bacteria. They've been around for billions of years, and they'll still be here a billion years after we've gone.

We don't own this planet. We're just passing guests Smile

Mick Smile
No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts

For topical debate and vitriolic mudslinging DON'T visit: http://www.greatworlddebate.com cos it's a dead link.

INSTEAD visit http://greatworlddebate.net/gwdsmf/index.php
23-09-2005, 08:54 AM
Save the planet!
mikado Wrote:Sez who? Smile

You see the cows eat the grass, and we eat the cows, and what happens to us when we die? We're eaten by worms. So that places worms at the top of the food chain.

There is a flaw with that argument Mik. The worms don't kill us. They just consume us passively.

I'd agree that humans aren't at the top of the food chain though. That accoldate has could perhaps go to bacteria (as you suggest), but I'd be inclined to think that a Virus would be at the top.

Virus's are similar to humans in that they can only replicate inside a living host. They also (like humans) grow in population rapidly, and they survive by consuming and destroying the resources of their host. Once the living host is destroyed, they move onto the next host that they can consume. Virus's kill humans, animals and other life forms in their quest to feed and grow in strength and population, and they are "intelligent" enough to evolve beyond anything that human science can throw at them.

Humans fight a continual battle against Virus's, yet the Virus's manage to e always jump one step ahead of us. We are fighting a battle with them - and we are losing.

I'd say that make a Virus pretty much superior. So, who owns the planet?

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-09-2005, 09:18 AM
Save the planet!
karenh Wrote:So, who owns the planet?

Well seeing as the planet could quite easily wipe every single one of its inhabitants out of existence in a matter of days, if it saw fit, I'd pretty much say that it was in charge, not us.

Bollox to potplants
23-09-2005, 10:49 AM
Save the planet!
Yeah, I think my point has been missed here.

The point is not "who owns the planet?", but does it really matter what we do to it?

Afterall, I suppose, loosley speaking we are part of nature.

23-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Save the planet!
I think it matters, but I can't say I do my utmost to protect it.
23-09-2005, 11:11 AM
Save the planet!
Groucho Wrote:Who owns it?

Groucho Wrote:The point is not "who owns the planet?"

Huh

Aaaaaanyway...

I see the planet as a living organism in its own right, and the life forms who dwell on the very topmost crust of it are comparable to a slim layer of bacterial fungus that you might find living between the toes of, say, a human torso.

In comparison to the vastness of the entire planet, the things that scurry about on the surface are unlikely to have any great impact on the planet as a whole. Sure, we've fukced up our own environment, but we're not really affecting the planet in any great way.

So I don't think we can actually save the planet from anything inasmuchas we can't really destroy it either. What we can do is make our environment a safer one for our own race to live in. If we can be ar$ed, that is :bag:

Bollox to potplants
23-09-2005, 11:33 AM
Save the planet!
I'm sure I read somewhere once that the pedants wont inherit the Earth. :glare:

23-09-2005, 11:38 AM
Save the planet!
Groucho Wrote:I'm sure I read somewhere once that the pedants wont inherit the Earth. :glare:

Wont they?
23-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Save the planet!
No, they'll be too busy picking holes in someone elses argument when it's being handed out. :pimp:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  God Save The Queen... JakeyBoy 52 2,873 20-03-2006 11:10 PM
Last Post: Rob