Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School Dinners
28-09-2005, 08:20 AM
School Dinners

Saw on GMTV this morning that at last junk food in school dinners in finally going to be a thing of the past and the vending machines will be going too. Unfortunately it won't be until next year.

What I can't understand is in Scotland we have had no junk food ie chips, turkey twizzlers on the menu for quite sometime about 3 years at least, why has it taken so long for England to do the same?

The thing is it doesn't stop kids eating junk food at home but at least it is a step in the right direction.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-09-2005, 08:41 AM
School Dinners
That's a terrible idea! :kid: - From a kid's point of view anyway!
28-09-2005, 08:45 AM
School Dinners
Bella Wrote:Unfortunately it won't be until next year.
This is the annoying part. It should happen immediately in my eyes.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
28-09-2005, 09:27 AM
School Dinners
I agree that people including children often eat unwisely but I don't like the blanket term 'junk food' which to me smacks of food snobbery. It dismisses out of hand things that although you wouldn't want to eat them all the time, are nevertheless OK for you in moderation. I include in that burgers sausages and chips. I's variety that makes eating interesting.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
28-09-2005, 10:44 AM
School Dinners
I agree with you SF, a blanket ban is going to make kids walk out of school and straight to the nearest junk food shop and gorge themselves.

I think they should have burger and chips once or twice a week, but cooked healthily (it can be done). Pizza can also be made with less fat and salt, in fact just slowly cut down on sugars, salts and fats, it is so easy to do, and they can have their fave foods.

And what they save on the above not being added they can spend on Omega Oils and 'hide' that in the foods! :naughty:

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
28-09-2005, 11:45 AM
School Dinners
The trouble is, it will need a lot of training/re-training because you would be surprised how few catering assistants can actually cook, as opposed to just preparing and serving food.

There is then the fact that inevitably prices will have to go up if all fresh produce is to be used.
28-09-2005, 12:05 PM
School Dinners
Many schools used to have plots to grow their own fruit and veg, and gardening was part of recreational studies. That could so easily be brought back in and would give a double whammy for the kids - a healthy ourdoor pursuit and eating their own self-grown veggies. Other plus being that the costing drops after the initial outlay.

I do know most Independant schools do this to keep costs down, and I was wiping soil from a 3 years olds face yesterday who happily told me she had been digging up carrots for her dinner! Said they were the best she had ever eaten too! :thumbsup:

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
28-09-2005, 12:26 PM
School Dinners
Patsy Wrote:The trouble is, it will need a lot of training/re-training because you would be surprised how few catering assistants can actually cook, as opposed to just preparing and serving food.

There is then the fact that inevitably prices will have to go up if all fresh produce is to be used.

Well Jamie's Dinners proved that to be exactly the case! So, these ladies do need proper training and do need salaries to make it worth their while. The politicans could start walking or cycling to work and stop paying ridiculous amounts on private taxi cars and limos to pay for it!

I think Eternity has hit the nail of the head, yes you can still have food such as sausages, burgers that have not been processed but are home-made. As I say in Scotland we don't have chips and have not had them for at least 3 or 4 years on the school dinner menu. I agree that you could still have chips once a week but at the moment it is happening every day which is wrong. I mean the pizza's the kids were having when the filming of Jamie's Dinners was appalling. These things can be done healthily and can look much more appealing to the kids. As far as food snobs go, I would probably put my name as one of them and be proud of it!

28-09-2005, 01:16 PM
School Dinners
It's not the politicians who pay their wages, though Bella. It's the catering companies they work for.
28-09-2005, 01:35 PM
School Dinners
Mmm, then the Government has got to give some sort of funding to these catering companies in order for them to pay dinner ladies more.

My daughter's school used to get their meals shipped in and then they were re-heated. Over the summer holidays though the kitchens got a re-vamp and now all the meals are freshly cooked on the premises. Their aim is to have every child in the school on school dinners (they also provide healthy packed-lunches if you don't want a hot meal). Some of the mums were invited to have their lunch at our school and they were very impressed not only with the meal but with the professionalism from the dinner ladies. They came across as being quite proud at what they were producing and when I drop Katie off at school in the morning there is some yummy smells coming from the kitchen!

Even Kenny Dalglish gave the lunches a big thumbsup!

It is some parents that need a good kick up the backside though, on GMTV they showed the contents of one kid's lunchbox - 5 packets of crisps and a chocolate bar! To me that is negligence - how long does it take to prepare a ham roll or a tuna sandwich?

One of the major things the studies found when providing food that was not processed was the behaviour of the children improved greatly, they were less irratable and paid attention more.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Absent from school - should schools be responsible? Bella 19 1,973 18-09-2005 04:26 PM
Last Post: bridge
  Shooting in American School tonee 7 858 23-03-2005 12:19 PM
Last Post: Cockney