Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School Prom!
12-05-2005, 08:45 PM
School Prom!

Tomorrow lunch time my eldest son leaves school (he just goes back to take his exams) and in the evening he has his High School Prom. We never had anything like this when I left school many, many moons ago!

So tomorrow about 5.45pm I have to take him to his girlfriends house to pick her up so they can travel together to were they are getting on an open topped bus to travel to the school with about 20 others. He has a corsage to give to her and she has bought him some cuff links to wear! She has hired a ball gown to wear and he has borrowed a DJ from a friend of mine! I intend to take a few photos of them with their friends around and on the bus before I dash off to the school to see them arrive!

The young people (can't really say children anymore) start arriving at the school from 7pm onwards. The school has a long drive and all the stretch limos, open topped busses, ice cream vans etc all line up and then one at a time each car takes it turn to stop in front of the school itself so the young people can have their photo's taken getting out of their cars etc. It is a bit like when the film stars turn up at a Film Premier! My son and his girlfriend are also having their photo taken by the Official Prom Photographer when they go into the Prom as a memento of the occasion.

They then go into the school around 8pm for light refreshments, and what ever you do at a Prom etc before we have to pick them up at 11pm. There are a few parties afterwards but he has a athletics competition the next day so he has decided not to go to any of them!

I really can't wait to see all the young people all dressed up, especially my son and his girl, I think I am more excited than he is about it (although definitely nowhere near as excited as she is!)

I have the Kleenex ready!
Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2005, 08:58 PM
School Prom!
Sounds amazing - we used to get dumped off at school dances by dads who we would then try to avoid when they turned up later to pick us up.

My neighbour's daughter has turned her nose up at her prom - it's single sex only and she said she can't be bothered dressing up for a load of girls. But she is making a packet doing everyone's hair and make-up :laugh:.

Durrington prom sounds like much more fun than Davidson, Ils -should we gatecrash?

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
Find all posts by this user
12-05-2005, 09:04 PM
School Prom!
Fee For All Wrote:Durrington prom sounds like much more fun than Davidson, Ils -should we gatecrash?

My son would be mortified :ohmy:

Lets do it! :w00t:
12-05-2005, 09:07 PM
School Prom!
:w00t: The whole full-on Patsy and Edina??

[SIZE=3]

[/url]
[/SIZE]
12-05-2005, 09:14 PM
School Prom!
Fee For All Wrote::w00t: The whole full-on Patsy and Edina??

Do you think we would get pass security? :w00t:
12-05-2005, 09:22 PM
School Prom!
I'll be depending on you to flash your bazooms :ninja:

master ils will be scarred for life...............

[SIZE=3]

[/url]
[/SIZE]
12-05-2005, 11:50 PM
School Prom!
I am so glad we didn't have "proms" when I was younger. The pressure must be immense, to have a boyfriend, to wear the "right thing", to have parents fork out for a limo, clothes, corsages etc etc. It all sounds like one big horrendous "look at me" competition - yuk I'm afraid to say, quite quite unbearable!

....and so very very american!

having said that I'm sure your son will look super duperly handsome and I'm sure you'll be blubbing, ILS! I just think it's something, as a shy gauche teenager, that I would have dreaded!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-05-2005, 06:17 AM
School Prom!
I think I would have felt the same Dol, as I was very shy as a teenager. Luckily though it is not compulsory to attend so if it is not your bag then you can just give it a miss!
13-05-2005, 07:24 AM
School Prom!
We never had school prom either, just the school disco with the red, blue & green flashing lights, and the swirly fluroscent tube! I can't remember what I wore but I do remember getting picked up by "boyfriend" in his dad's car and I was presented with a box of Quality Street!!!

I am sure you son will be super-duper handsome, ILS and no doubt you will be shedding a tear or two!

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
13-05-2005, 07:50 AM
School Prom!
ilovesurvivor Wrote:Luckily though it is not compulsory to attend so if it is not your bag then you can just give it a miss!

Sorry if this is off topic!

But although it's not compulsory to attend the pressure must still be quite powerful to attend! Peer pressure is a very powerful weapon... but that's a whole other thread!

And yes I would like to see pictures too, ILS!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Secondary school selection Groucho 13 1,641 24-09-2007 09:17 AM
Last Post: Slipper
  School Admissions Appeals Spooky 11 1,993 13-03-2007 02:43 PM
Last Post: La Freak
  high-school days kookycat 12 1,247 29-07-2006 08:05 PM
Last Post: mazwad
  Bill Gates High School Speech Patsy 9 1,005 18-05-2006 12:33 AM
Last Post: msgirl