Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
School "prom" dances...
28-06-2006, 08:23 PM
School "prom" dances...

it's that time of year when all the young folk dress up and get in limos to go to the prom prom.

are anybody's kids going this year?

has anyone ever been to a prom?

whaddya think of proms?

I'm going round my mate's house on Saturday cos her daughter is off to the prom prom so she's asked a few folks round for a few drinks to see her off. It will be a bit of a laugh and I'm sure me and Steph will end up ****ed ... which is always nice!!!

But it got me thinking about proms. How stressful must they be!! I'm just so glad we didn't have proms when I was at school.

My friend is doing it reasonably cheaply, ie. £60 for dress, £50 for limo, £20 for the ticket plus bits and bobs, ie. having hair done, make up, jewellery etc so say add an extra £30 for that making a grand total of £160 or there abouts and thats on the cheap!!

Some of the girls have paid between £200 and £300 for their dresses alone ... yikes!

It all just sounds a bit too American and contrived ... not quite British!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2006, 08:32 PM
School "prom" dances...
I am not a big fan of the school prom thing as it puts a lot of pressure on parents. What was wrong with the good old school disco, I am sure we had as much fun and it only cost a few bob.
Find all posts by this user
28-06-2006, 08:42 PM
School "prom" dances...
I think they're meant to be fun!

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
28-06-2006, 08:48 PM
School "prom" dances...
survivorfan Wrote:I think they're meant to be fun!

i see your point!

but my point is do you have to spend that much money on a 16 year old for them to have fun?

those that can't afford it must feel under pressure to spend the money because ... well because that's the way life is!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
28-06-2006, 09:03 PM
School "prom" dances...
I suppose you can keep the cost down by hiring a dress, or maybe even find something in one of those Oxfam-type shops. Even then I guess it's not cheap for one night, but everything comes at a price doesn't it - a school trip can cost a fair few quid too.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
28-06-2006, 09:11 PM
School "prom" dances...
TK Maxx in Worthing does a grand trade this time of year - ballgowns (do they still call them that?) for around the £25 - £30 mark.

I got one for £11/12 ish for my posh do at Goodwood last year :pimp:

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
29-06-2006, 07:06 AM
School "prom" dances...
Fee For All Wrote:TK Maxx in Worthing does a grand trade this time of year - ballgowns (do they still call them that?) for around the £25 - £30 mark.

I got one for £11/12 ish for my posh do at Goodwood last year :pimp:

I'll tell my friend she could have gone even cheaper ...

Obviously proms are cheaper and more funner than I ever imagined!

29-06-2006, 08:04 AM
School "prom" dances...
Our version of the Prom is called 'the Debs'.
I have to say...I really enjoyed mine.They are very formal: .posh dress...boy in a monkey suit....flowers, chocolates...etc.
No limo tho'.
The best bit was the party afterwards.The Debs takes place in your final year at school and it's a nice way of rounding off the year.My class was quite small (15 girls) and the Debs and the party afterwards is one of my fondest memories from school.I felt so grown up.I still smile nowadays when I see the debs kids on their way home the morning after.Done up to the nines and stopping off in a cafe for breakfast.
I know a lot of girls hire dresses, or get them made which is cheaper.
We had a few fundraisers to help finance ours, coz the tickets cost 25 punts each..in old money. 6th year in school has a lot of pressure...exams,thinking about your future career etc.This is a nice way of easing the pressure a bit.
Something to look forward to.

'Come away, oh human child, to the waters and the wild.With a fairy hand in hand...for the world is more full of weeping than you will understand.........'
29-06-2006, 08:49 AM
School "prom" dances...
I didnt think we had 'Proms' in this country Huh I thought that was an american thing ?

When i was at school we had discos ... and i remember snogging many a boy in those. Cor, those were the days.

I was a goth when i was at school, and i dont think i would of appreciated getting done up in pastel pink and glittery shoes !!

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
29-06-2006, 09:25 AM
School "prom" dances...
We had a disco...:bag:

Proms are definately growing in popularity over here...I dunno if that's good or bad esspecially since there are always going to be those who have dates and those who don't and those who can afford the expensive dress and limo and those who can't...at least with a good old fashioned disco/party you can wear what you like and don't feel so awkward if you turn up alone...on foot or by bike! :cool1:

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  School Closure Haydon_acc2 25 2,349 14-09-2005 04:06 PM
Last Post: bridge
  School Dinners the answer to fat nation? Becks 18 1,916 21-03-2005 04:37 PM
Last Post: Pandora