Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scooby News, etc
13-10-2005, 11:55 PM
Scooby News, etc

Yes, this is an irritating post announcing a vague return, although no I never really left, I've just been JOLLY JOLLY busy at Le Leeds.

All is well - my halls are AMAZING, some of the people are rubbish, some of them are ace. My course is irritatingly challenging. People are clever, some cleverer than me would you believe it. How dare they etc etc. Been spending far too much on alcohol and gourmet food (no, really.)

I might go try and finish Great Expectations now.

cheerio!

Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2005, 05:50 AM
Scooby News, etc
That wasn't an irritating post in any form Scoobs, your posts always make me p!ss myself with excitement.

:wink_kiss
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-10-2005, 06:07 AM
Scooby News, etc
Hey Scoobs, good to hear you are having a great time at Leeds :thumbsup:

Don't be a stranger!
14-10-2005, 06:48 AM
Scooby News, etc
it was irritating, vague and SHORT!! you really must try harder young man!

has Mars had the misfortune to bump into you yet?!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
16-10-2005, 08:17 AM
Scooby News, etc
Excellent Scoobs...... :thumbsup:

Now is there a constant smell of booze, urine and pot in the halls?

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
16-10-2005, 10:51 AM
Scooby News, etc
Living in halls... best year of your life!

Enjoy!

(Sounds like you're doing so already!!)

There are three types of mathmatician:
Those who can count and those who can't!
16-10-2005, 06:35 PM
Scooby News, etc
Flyo Wrote:Living in halls... best year of your life!

That spot's already been taken by The Year Out I'm afraid.

Is it wrong that I'm feeling ever-so-slightly underwhelmed by uni? I seem to be going through phases of quasi-depression (although not actually depression, that's a total and utter lie, I just suddenly get unhappy for no reason in particular.) I've got absolutely no problem making friends as I'm very social, and have done so. I'm just missing my real friends A LOT, and my trip to Nottingham to see them all last weekend was an absolute disaster as two of my best mates who were a couple promptly broke up, got drunk, cried to me individually whereby I had to sort the ENTIRE thing out. That's another story entirely though.

I literally stormed out of a club the other night feeling so totally miserable and miserable for not knowing why. I'm bored of people moaning to be about their love lives when I clearly have less options than everyone else. I'm bored of meeting boring people. I also feel the gap year has made a massive difference in me maturity wise - I know I'm not alone in this as I was talking to a mate who feels exactly the same way. There's a boy in my house who I suspect may be mildly autistic and who is effectively being bullied by a lot of people in the house. It suddenly occured to me the other day that had I left school and come straight here I probably wouldn't have bat an eyelid, but it's sixteen months later and it's rather shocked me. I just flipped out at someone for moaning about him as I really think a bit of growing up is in order in regard to this.

I've posted this because I really want some answers as to why I'm feeling as I do - sorry but replies to me saying everything will get better and not to worry aren't really going to help a lot. I probably just need a good smack in the tits but an enormous paragraph of advice as to why Scooby Has Become Disillusioned With University Life would do me fine. THANKS!

cheerio!
16-10-2005, 06:47 PM
Scooby News, etc
Well I think you're feeling homesick, Scooby. Perhaps you're realising the enormity of your course and the changes to your lifestyle for the next three years or so (dunno how long degrees take). You're taking a big step towards the rest of your life ... it can't be easy.

And I know it sounds like trite advice and you specifically asked for it NOT to be given!!! .... but it will get better with time (says someone who's never done any higher education after the age of 16!!).

if any of the above sounds partronising ... sorry! but in my experience advice often is patronising!

make sure you don't drink too much (a depressant) and that you get some early nights in (tiredness is a terrible thing for making one feel emotional) and next time you go home don't be a shoulder for your friends to cry on ... let 'em grow up and take responsibility for their own actions ... what can you achieve for them in just one short weekend? except upsetting yourself cos they're upset.

..... and get laid!!!! (I'm sensing this is the only bit of advice you will heed!!)

I don't really DO advice and this was a pretty p!ss poor attempt wasn't it! Sorry!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
16-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Scooby News, etc
Look up existential theory - gives a different kind of map to what's the point, why am I here..............also, stepping out from the social group, recognising you are different (for whatever reasons, travelling, identity etc) can be exciting but it can also be lonely and a bit confusing. Sounds like everything is a bit more of the same and you notice you are not the same, so maybe try to do different things, meet different kinds of people, get out of the (possible) rut you are in.

If you are feeling down, exercise is a good form of getting the feel good hormones loose in your system.

Sometimes it is also worth considering, if your mood was sending you a telegram to get your attention, what would it be saying to you?
Hope this week gets better

:boxing: Angel small steps lead to great things
Find all posts by this user
16-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Scooby News, etc
Scoobs. Your time in life is actually one of the hardest, everyone is at such a different level of maturity and experience.

You have had a HUGE advantage with the experience you have just had and it does put you above your fellow students. But thats tough. You have to learn to curb your distain towards them and as the years progress whey will have their time (if they choose) and things will even out.

Try not to be too patronising, just get your head down and study hard.....if you dont' do it now you will be doing it now - like me 40 and at college.

Also...life is not pleasant sometimes...it really does go in cycles...it's going to take you a while to come down from you trip just accept that and you will you have to learn to fight through the bad times that you dont' like.

It's tough scoobs, but its life...I am here by giving you a good slap and telling you to hold your chin high and step forth....it will pass I promise you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Good news! karenh 12 2,756 09-01-2009 08:41 PM
Last Post: Spooky
  Not so good news.... karenh 12 2,653 22-12-2008 01:03 PM
Last Post: karenh
  News from the Asylum... Haydon_acc2 4 993 03-08-2007 04:05 AM
Last Post: msgirl
  SO News people - volunteers wanted Haydon_acc2 19 1,844 13-09-2006 10:53 PM
Last Post: Haydon_acc2