Secondary school selection

Finding it quite stressful.

Any advice?

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Forward thinking is my advice. I moved to an excellent catchment area after extensive research for the best secondary schools when my children were still at nursery. Luckily the schools maintained their high levels of achievment. And all funded by the state.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Groucho Wrote:Finding it quite stressful.

Any advice?

Contraception.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
21-09-2007, 09:00 PM
We have a few years before our eldest goes to high school, but like Max our local state academy is excellent and luckily we are in catchment as it has a waiting list to get in.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
22-09-2007, 07:47 AM
Why stressful Groucho? Torn between state vs private? We have to make a choice now for our daughter. One good thing is she knows which local school she wants to go to, I guess she'll end up there.

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
22-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Groucho Wrote:Finding it quite stressful.

Any advice?

first of all be grateful that you are in a position to have a "selection" to make.

we had to put down in order of preference the three local secondary schools - knowing that what it would all come down to in the end would be the catchment area. We were lucky, by some fluke we managed to get into the best of a pretty average/below average trio - but if we'd applied the following year we wouldn't have got in due to the high numbers.

if you're thinking of going private then don't give me the "stressful" angle!! be grateful it's even being considered as a possibility. I get really annoyed with a woman I work with who sends her kid to private school and then bulks everytime I mention that the coffee fund is due cos she says she can't afford it!!!!

in fact it's a whole new thread probably but I get very tense when people mention they send their kids to private school - I don't know why - probably jealousy!!

advice on making the selection would be - proximity to home and whether most of their friends are going there - they were my main considerations.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
22-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Yay....school selections always a great time in a parents life.

I would say that unless your child has a specific talent e.g. sports, perfoming arts and there is a school that caters to that need then the factors to consider are distance from home (can they take themselves) and is it where their friends are going, because a happy child leaving the house is so much easier than a ****ed off one cos you made them go to a school they didn't want.
22-09-2007, 01:40 PM
We're lucky enough to have some good grammar schools in the area.

However, we know that some people have done everything possible in the past to get their kids into one of the grammar schools, when the child hasn't really been good enough, and then found that the child is way out of their depth and very unhappy once they get there.

There's a an all girls Catholic comp that gets fairly good results, but I'm wondering if we should be pushing them towards the grammar and that if we do, are we doing it for the right reasons.

I dont think we'll be going down the private route, because, with four of them, I'd be working until I'm 80.

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
22-09-2007, 03:28 PM
You need to be guided by their teacher, Grouch. If he/she thinks they're likely to attain grade 5s in their SATs, then put them in for the 11+. If not, I don't think it would be fair to set them up to fail.

We don't have any grammars where I live, so I was faced with the choice of my eldest taking the 11+ and having to travel out of the borough every day, or apply to the local comp, which was on a rapidly upward turn having had a new Head a couple of years previously.

Also, my youngest was never going to be able to pass the 11+ which would mean them going to different schools and I really didn't want that.
22-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Grouch

Write yourself a list of what you think secondary education should be about, and what you want the girls to gain from it - not just exam results.

Write a vision, if you like, of the perfect school.

Then ask each of the schools you're considering for thier vision statement and school development plan. See which one most cloeley matches yours, and you've probably got the best match.

Go along to all the prospective parents evenings and ask questions that you need answers to - don't just sit and listen.

Bollox to potplants

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  School Admissions Appeals Spooky 11 2,036 13-03-2007 02:43 PM
Last Post: La Freak
  high-school days kookycat 12 1,264 29-07-2006 08:05 PM
Last Post: mazwad
  Bill Gates High School Speech Patsy 9 1,025 18-05-2006 12:33 AM
Last Post: msgirl
  School Prom! ils 27 1,703 15-05-2005 05:33 PM