Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selling your eggs/sperm
12-11-2004, 08:13 AM
Selling your eggs/sperm

In the paper today it's reported that, following the change in the law regarding people being able to trace a donor 'parent', there has been a shortage of egg and sperm donors coming forward and so they are thinking of upping the fee (currently £15 plus expenses) to £1000 for eggs and £50 for sperm.

Would you sell your eggs/sperm?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2004, 08:26 AM
Selling your eggs/sperm
I don't think I could. I mean, although it might help someone, I'd always be wondering if a child had come as the result of it and I'd want to see him or her!

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
12-11-2004, 08:30 AM
Selling your eggs/sperm
I dont think so Max.

Although infertility can be a heart-breaking thing to go through and I thoroughly applaud the advances in science that have made it so available over the last 20 years, I dont think I'd be very comfortable with a person being created with large wads of my DNA and me knowing nothing about them.

I think that should they decide to trace you years down the line, things could become complicated.

Besides which, I feel I've already fulilled whatever procreative roll I was put on this planet for.

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
12-11-2004, 08:35 AM
Selling your eggs/sperm
I wouldn't sell my eggs but I would give them to a needy relative or perhaps a very close friend who couldn't have children.

Does it hurt? ... cos if it does I might not.

I don't think there is anything wrong with giving up your sperm or eggs for altruistic reasons, but not for monetary gain.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
12-11-2004, 08:36 AM
Selling your eggs/sperm
maxine Wrote:In the paper today it's reported that, following the change in the law regarding people being able to trace a donor 'parent',

did it say what the implications of being traced by the child are? For instance, would there be any kind of legal obligation of responsibility towards the child?

12-11-2004, 08:37 AM
Selling your eggs/sperm
I think the only person that I would donate eggs to would be sister, but I won't have to as she has two children, but if she had be unable to have children and I could have helped her I would have.

As for donating to strangers I don't think I could for the reasons mentioned above from SF & Groucho.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
12-11-2004, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2004 08:46 AM by Groucho.)
Selling your eggs/sperm
survivorfan Wrote:For instance, would there be any kind of legal obligation of responsibility towards the child?

No there isn't.

However, on turning 18, a person now has the right to know who their biological father was.

I think alot of people would struggle with the moral obligations of an 18 year old turning up on their doorstep.

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
12-11-2004, 08:48 AM
Selling your eggs/sperm
I know of a woman who donated some of her eggs about 12 years ago, after she finished her family. I thought about it as well, but it would have meant several trips to London and with having 3 children under 5 it would been a little difficult so I didn't do it.

To be honest whilst considering it, it never occured to me that if a child was born as a result of my donation that they would want to find me!
12-11-2004, 08:55 AM
Selling your eggs/sperm
survivorfan Wrote:did it say what the implications of being traced by the child are? For instance, would there be any kind of legal obligation of responsibility towards the child?

In the article it said that the vast majority of people conceived through sperm donation had positive feeling towards their bioligical father. Although 80 per cent said they were likely to ask for the donor's identity they didn't see him as an important person in their lives and none of them wanted money.

I couldn't do it either. I'm not sure I would even be able to do it for a member of my family because I just think I would feel a stronger bond with the child than if it was conceived normally and I'd be constantly poking my nose in.
12-11-2004, 10:00 AM
Selling your eggs/sperm
I know this happened in another country, and not here, but a couple of years back I read of a Swedish lesbian couple who had a child from an anonymous sperm donor but later separated. The woman left supporting the child successfully managed to get a court to reveal the identity of the donor and nake him pay child maintenance.

Sounds daft but it happened - not saying it would happen here, but it goes to show that you cant just squirt into a jar, pocket your 50 quid (or kroner) and assume that's the last of it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Selling your Wedding Day Bella 15 1,354 13-09-2005 05:46 PM
Last Post: Rob
  "Men are little more than sperm donors" Groucho 37 2,366 21-08-2005 09:39 AM
Last Post: Andrea