Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sex
30-07-2005, 08:02 PM
Sex

Today, Emma asked me what the difference between sperm & semen was. Not such a big thing you would think but it was in a very busy cafe at the time while we were sharing a table with an elderly couple!

I explained as best I could & she was happy with the explanation, going on to ask me whether I thought her pizza would be margherita or something else but it got me thinking.

I have done my level best to ensure that Emma has a very balanced view of sex, periods etc and she often asks me questions as they occur, be that at a shared table in a busy cafe or the checkout at Asda (why some people need slender tampax as opposed to super). The reason I feel it important that Emma can talk to me is that my own sex education from my mum was a furtive question while my dad was on the phone in the hall ' do you know another word for a mans willy?' I am proud of Em's attitude to all things personal and the fact she can discuss things with both me & Dave at the same level but know from friends & other families that we are the exception rather than the norm which I feel quite sad about.

How do you treat sex & all things related with your children & is that because of or in spite of, the way your parents broached the subject with you?

I'm usually thin & gorgeous - today is my day off
http://www.boomspeed.com/egraphics/egg03063.gif
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Sex
I have two boys and whilst they will obviously never experience the whole period thing, they know I do and I explained to them at quite a young age what it meant and how it affected me. As they got older, this helped them to understand the whole reproductive process from both sides. I believe it's best to be as honest as possible and tell them as much as they can cope with. The thing is, they pick up so much from the playground. My youngest knows much more at 9/10 years old than I knew at the same age. It's quite frightening actually. They learn expressions and come home with them, not realising sometimes that they are personal or rude, so you have to explain things that you wouldn't normally feel is necessary for them to know at that age.
Find all posts by this user
30-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Sex
I know what you mean Pats. Em asked me the other day what 'on blob' meant! I nearly fell over! The only time I have heard that used is when I overheard Dave's footie team being particularly crude & they, to a man! apologised to me. She got it from one of her mates in the playground. He said his dad told him. Nice!

One thing I was quite shocked about with her school was something that came out in her sex ed classes. Now I'm no prude but she asked me what it meant when a boy had a wet dream. I was flummoxed. I just didn't think there was any need for this to be explained to her & had great difficulty with it. Why does she need to know about this? I did my best but for the first time was embarrassed.

30-07-2005, 08:30 PM
Sex
I think it depends on the age and sex of the children in the class Jaycee. It's obviously common to many boys (and some of us girls, I'm very pleased to say :naughty: ), so it's a valid topic for discussion, IMO. However, it is probably secondary school material, I would have thought. Actually, thinking about it, this is probably one of the few expressions neither of mine have ever mentioned!
Find all posts by this user
30-07-2005, 08:59 PM
Sex
Patsy Wrote:I think it depends on the age and sex of the children in the class Jaycee. It's obviously common to many boys (and some of us girls, I'm very pleased to say :naughty: ), so it's a valid topic for discussion, IMO. However, it is probably secondary school material, I would have thought. Actually, thinking about it, this is probably one of the few expressions neither of mine have ever mentioned!

wholeheartedly agree. I would have no problem discussing a girls wet dream with her - part of her development really - but why I have to explain the rudiments of a boys - & her school only went into boys having wet dreams - I don't know. I will discuss most things with most people but even I shied from having that one out with her headmaster :bag:

30-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Sex
I have always been totally honest with my children right from start and we can and do talk about anything.

As for the wet dreams, I don't see any reason why girls should not learn about boys wet dreams, I think girls should know what happens to boys bodies when they are going through puberty, just as boys should know what happens to the girls bodies! This is especially important in a household where there are boys and girls.
30-07-2005, 09:24 PM
Sex
I agree with you to a point ILS but my 22 year old stepson was non too appreciative about being talked to about wet dreams by his 11 year old sister..............however he does ask if his girlfriend can stay over so maybe he's making his own bed.............thinking about it, if he's putting a sexual situation in front of his sister, fair comment.......thank you for making me think about a situation I was facing.............oh wise one! :smartie:

30-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Sex
In our home, we talk about it quite openly with Alyssa as and when she asks questions or mentions different things. They actually teach about wet dreams in year 6 now. That's the last year of primary school. I think that at that age they should discuss it separately from the other sex. I don't think 11 year olds are mature enough to deal with it in front of the opposite sex. This of course changes as they grow more mature. I had already discussed things with Lissy before then though, as I feel it's better to learn about sex from parents rather than from strangers. I think that way, in the majority of cases the child gains a more positive and stable viewpoint on the subject, and feels more at ease with it within themselves.

"You cannot teach people anything. You can only help them discover it within themselves."
30-07-2005, 09:31 PM
Sex
tigger767 Wrote:I feel it's better to learn about sex from parents rather than from strangers. I think that way in the majority of cases the child gains a more positive and stable viewpoint on the subject, and feels more at ease with it within themselves.

I agree totally Tiggs :thumbsup:
30-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Sex
I think that at that age they should discuss it separately from the other sex. I don't think 11 year olds are mature enough to deal with it in front of the opposite sex.[/quote]

Exactly............someone with brains not mixed with alcohol at this time of night :bag: