nothing - it's not right
not saying/ don't care
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shampoo nickers
01-10-2005, 08:16 AM
Shampoo nickers

Britons take home 430,000 gallons (1.95m litres) of shampoo from hotels every year, a survey has found.

Small bottles of shampoo were the items most likely to be "stolen" by guests - around 70% of people questioned by hotels.com admitted they removed them.

Other products frequently taken included shower gel, sewing kits, bathrobes and "Do not disturb" signs.

Only 19% of guests felt guilty about taking the items as most people felt they had already paid for them.

So - what do you do?

- take home shampoo and gel and feel guilty
- take home shampoo and gel - why not I pay for it
- nothing, it's theft
- take anything I can get away with incl towels
- not saying

What Are Your Views On Forum Moderation?[Image: hatter.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2005, 08:20 AM
Shampoo nickers
I freely admit to taking shampoo. I don't see the problem with it because I could have used it in the hotel anyway. I have also been known to take a notepad and pencil or two. Not towels, though. Although I did take a towel from the hospital where my eldest was born as a souvenir. I still have it. It's lovely and soft and he still uses it. :wub:
01-10-2005, 08:37 AM
Shampoo nickers
what I don't really get is why bother to take a little sachet when you already have gallons of the stuff at home?

01-10-2005, 09:25 AM
Shampoo nickers
survivorfan Wrote:what I don't really get is why bother to take a little sachet when you already have gallons of the stuff at home?

Because it comes in useful if you don't want to carry a big bottle of shampoo around. I have some little bottles from hotels that I take to the sports centre fits nicely in my tiny wash bag and when empty I can refill from my big bottle.
Boots charge about 50p for empty little travel size bottles. I wouldn't bother with the sachets though.
I think I'm doing them a favour- they'd only throw the half used bottles away and I bet they don't recycle.
I used to buy little botles of shampoo from body shop and you could have them refilled in the shop cheap. Now though they don't do little bottles.

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Shampoo nickers
I've never stayed in a hotel posh enough to give freebies. I don't think I would take anything though. I've never pinched the towels. I've got no stomach for it and would worry too much that I'd get caught with 'em.

I always leave everything spotless too. I have this scenario in my head where the staff come in and say "oh these were nice people - look how tidy they left everything". It gives me the feel good factor even though I'll probably never see them or go there again. I even strip the beds off and leave the dirty linen in a nice folded pile Blush

Mr C, on the other hand, has this thing about "getting away with it" - I think it gives him a thrill. I have refused to go to B&Q with him because he tries it on by hiding things underneath others hoping the checkout girl won't see them, or taking 6 metres of cable and saying he only has 3 etc. :wallbash:
01-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Shampoo nickers
Ummm, shampoo, soap, sewing kits, body lotions, q tips, tissues (boxes of), coffee, tea, hot chocolate. :angel_not One hotel had the most amazing desk calendar - that got lifted dead smart!

Nothing expensive, but things that do come in handy for one night stopovers with friends or camping. They do come in such neat little packages don't they?? :ninja:

[Image: chirol_nawa1.gif]
~Today is the youngest you will ever be~
01-10-2005, 10:52 AM
Shampoo nickers
I don't nick anything..... Angel I know my conscience would bug me to the end of time if I did so I don't bother....in fact I always tend to leave everything pretty much as i found it...tidy etc...as I would feel bad about leaving a mess!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
01-10-2005, 11:05 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2005 11:08 AM by Cat.)
Shampoo nickers
I take what ever I can - still got a cupboard full of sugar sachets from Centre Parcs.

PS I like the Not saying/ Don't care option, nice touch.
01-10-2005, 11:07 AM
Shampoo nickers
I always take the shampoo - you never know when they might come in handy!

I also take the little sachets of coffee!

And I don't feel guilty - ever!!

(I do draw the line at towels - and I've never stayed in a hotel where they give you a dressing gown!!)

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
01-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Shampoo nickers
Bob Wrote:Because it comes in useful if you don't want to carry a big bottle of shampoo around. I have some little bottles from hotels that I take to the sports centre fits nicely in my tiny wash bag and when empty I can refill from my big bottle.
Boots charge about 50p for empty little travel size bottles. I wouldn't bother with the sachets though.
I think I'm doing them a favour- they'd only throw the half used bottles away and I bet they don't recycle.
I used to buy little botles of shampoo from body shop and you could have them refilled in the shop cheap. Now though they don't do little bottles.

So now you have a supply of little bottles to fill from your big bottle when you go to the sports centre, does that mean you no longer take shampoo from hotels?