Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharpe's Challenge/12 Books That Changed The World.
24-04-2006, 08:06 PM

SHARPE'S CHALLENGE PART TWO NOW. :good: EXCELLENT VIEWING LAST NIGHT. ALSO 12 BOOKS THAT CHANGED THE WORLD.

SEE YOU ALL LATER.

MAUREEN
NORTHERN ANGEL.

:party2: :sunb: :wine: :artist: :laugh:
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2006, 02:09 PM
Hmm. Didn't watch it as not have access to UK tv, but books that changed the world? Thats an interesting stretch as to books that actually changed something.

Just my stab at what would be included:

1) Bible (got to be there surely)
2) Koran...ditto
3) Mein Kampf (did it play any part in the nazi movement? No idea. If it did, it should be there)
4) Marx/Lenin stuff ..same reason
5) Maos little red book, HAS to be there.

Not quite.........
6) Satanic verses??? Made for some interesting political stuff, but not world changing

We must be able to get to 12 obvious ones!
01-05-2006, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2006 02:25 PM by gatubela.)
ooh, oooh, ooh,

7) Dr Spocks thingy on child raising. Impacted a whole generation of child rearing, definitely world changing.
8) Freud's stuff? Changed a lot too.

Must be the odd medical publication too.

If there was a book called "This is a Light Bulb", it wasn't the book that changed the world, so those wouldn't count. Would they? hmmmm

One more. Martin Luthers Bible in the German Language! Fast forward to many million deaths in the resulting religious divide.....

Sorry, dribbling now. but Freud had no knowledge of the female anatomy to the extent he did not know of the existance of the clitoris. So, in a different world, knowing now that the clitoris has considerably more nerve endings than the penis, if that had been a message in his early publishings, would the world have learned the phrase "clitoris envy" instead of "penis envy" ??
01-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Gatubela, here are the 12 that Melvyn Bragg chose (I think that's what the programme was based on):

TWELVE BOOKS THAT CHANGED THE WORLD
Principia Mathematica (1687) by Isaac Newton
Married Love (1918) by Marie Stopes
Magna Carta (1215) by members of the English ruling classes
Book of Rules of Association Football (1863) by a group of former English public-school men
On the Origin of Species (1859) by Charles Darwin
On the Abolition of the Slave Trade (1789) by William Wilberforce in Parliament, immediately printed in several versions
A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (1792) by Mary Wollstonecraft
Experimental Researches in Electricity
(three volumes, 1839, 1844, 1855) by Michael Faraday
Patent Specification for Arkwright’s Spinning Machine (1769) by Richard Arkwright
The King James Bible (1611) by William Tyndale and 54 scholars appointed by the king
An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations (1776) by Adam Smith
The First Folio (1623) by William Shakespeare

I heard him in heated debate with, I think, Andrew Motion about the justification for these, and why there weren't more works of fiction. I was more surprised at the 'Britishness' of the list, as I thought Marx and Mao would be in there.

His explanation can be found here

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Lost world of Mitchell and Kenyon Andrea 5 1,387 29-01-2005 12:07 AM
Last Post: Andrea
  World Shut Your Mouth - Dom Jolly Bella 8 1,928 22-01-2005 12:50 PM
Last Post: PJ
  Billy Connolly's World Tour of New Zealand Voice of reason 17 4,040 20-12-2004 06:01 PM
Last Post: Pandora