Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should Brides change their names when they get married?
20-04-2005, 04:21 PM (This post was last modified: 20-04-2005 04:24 PM by Rothera.)

Mr Rothera is making an honest woman of me in May in what we plan to be the wedding of the century. :wub:

As the time approaches, people at work have started asking me whether I am going to change my surname or not. TBH, this question has flumoxed me somewhat.

My maiden name is rather stupid, and more distinctive that I would like, but it has been my name for *ahem* a few *ahem* years and it would be sad to see it go.

On the otherhand, Mr Rothera has a nice sensible easy to spell name which I wouldn't mind changing to. Someone has suggested that I could keep my maiden name at work to make things easier for colleagues and external contacts, but use my married name outside of work.

So what do I do? In this day and age should a bride change her name to that of her groom?

SO ladies, would/did you change your name?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2005, 04:25 PM
I did change my name, but was sad to see it go. Mainly because it was unlikely to be carried on. Mr P has a good name, so I was happy with that, but I also carried the name on through young Master P as an extra middle name. Subsequently, my cousin has had a son, so the name will be carried on. Hoorah! So, Roths, if you're planning kids you can carry it on that way.

Just a thought.
20-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Oh first let me say Congratulations on the Big Day and if you need a piece of exclusive jewellery, just give me a nod!!! :laugh: No, seriously congratulations, and enjoy your day! How is the planning going, everything in place?

I did change my name, but I suppose we done things back side forwards. We had a baby before we were married, we had been together 4 years and the baby was planned and was given Mr B's name. It was always our intention to get married, so when we did I took his name so we as a family had the same name.

My dad was an only child and had 2 girls and we both changed our names, but my dad does have cousins that continue the family name. I don't particulary like double-barrelled names, it stinks of upper-class snobbery but each to their own I suppose.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-04-2005, 04:37 PM
I was glad to change my name. I hated my surname. It was quite unusual and I was always having to spell it (it was Dallison). I much prefer my married name. I know some people revert to their maiden name when they divorce but I'm happy to keep mine. The present Mr. C has a nice surname though and I wouldn't mind being called that Smile I doubt if we will get hitched though. After 22 years together we're happy as we are.
20-04-2005, 04:41 PM
I too was glad to change my awful surname.

I am now divorced, but I still use my married name. It doesn't really matter to me at all. Smile
20-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Good excuse for a party though, Crit! Could be the next SO outing! :w00t:
20-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Patsy Wrote:Good excuse for a party though, Crit! Could be the next SO outing! :w00t:

Haha - yeah, well if it ever happens I'll let you know Wink
20-04-2005, 05:19 PM
Patsy Wrote:Good excuse for a party though, Crit! Could be the next SO outing! :w00t:

That's what I thought when I read Crit's post I could be matron of honour for you. Hold fire on the cushons Crit might need ideas for pressies other than tea towels. Oh and our dear welsh sis-in-law could dress you for the big day, Mr P will really have to get another suit though, remind me now how old is the one he has! Maybe we could have a virtual wedding and see you off in style. Dah dah de dah Dah dah de dah oooooh I can see it all now.
20-04-2005, 05:52 PM
Rothera - oooooo a wedding hoorah and congratulations. I was a little older when I married too. So I had a perfectly good surname that fitted quite nicely into my life - which I didn't love - but was OK.

And then I married the man of my dreams and although his surname was slightly at odds with my first name [too many eee's] I chose to go with it. Tradition probably played a big part, and there was no real reason to keep my maiden name - ie I wasn't a famous actress!!!

Thankfully I did - because my father did the dirty on all of his family [me Mum and sis] and we don't have to live with that reminder.

But you know what? It is totally down to you - if you have reasons [any reasons will do] to keep it then do so. But you are and will be faced with being called Mrs Dooh Dha and he being called Mr Rothera ad infinitum ... it is just the way things are.

Personally, IMO, if you have no biases either way go with hubbies name - it keeps the mail in order if nothing else!!!

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.
[Image: pot002.gif]

20-04-2005, 05:57 PM
mazwad Wrote:That's what I thought when I read Crit's post I could be matron of honour for you. Hold fire on the cushons Crit might need ideas for pressies other than tea towels. Oh and our dear welsh sis-in-law could dress you for the big day, Mr P will really have to get another suit though, remind me now how old is the one he has! Maybe we could have a virtual wedding and see you off in style. Dah dah de dah Dah dah de dah oooooh I can see it all now.

Well it would be a right royal affair - you know, quick ride to the Register Office and back home for a drink - haha.

Do you reckon Camilla would lend me her dress and hat? Doubt if she'll need it again.

BTW Mr. C bought a new suit only last year Tongue

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  A change of heart.... Cat 13 1,651 22-04-2006 04:08 PM
Last Post: Bob
  Does your sleep pattern change ..... Bonsai 11 1,421 13-03-2006 10:25 PM
Last Post: Flip
  Climate Change Experiment Andrea 2 584 20-02-2006 11:31 PM
Last Post: JakeyBoy
  Names jaycee 34 2,679 28-08-2005 09:25 AM
Last Post: Critique