Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should National Service be compulsary?
25-08-2005, 03:10 PM

I do think a return of this would very welcoming and not just for the males but for the females too. There are too many young kids out there with severe lack of respect and severe attitude. I don't normally watch Bad Lad's Army but I watched it last and although I am not a lover of the way the army is seen to ridicule young recruits, there are some that would benefit from a rather large boot up the backside. I also watched a bit of the Transformed programme about unruly teenagers and was appalled at how selfish these teenager were. Lock them up & throw away the key until they can be taught manners! I would sign up my 15 year old neice in an instant! I am not saying that they should be fighting in the front line but the short, sharp shock treatment maybe just what is needed in this country to curb youth behaviour.

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
25-08-2005, 03:52 PM
That's a really good question Bella. I used to be very anti- National Service. now that I'm older (maybe now I'm safe enough not to be enlisted :laugh: ) I find I'm more and more keen on the idea.

It seems to me that with all the unemployed people we have in this country there's room in the labour market to enlist all teenagers for a year or two. Whilst enlisted they could learn useful skills and be put to useful work (it wouldn't necessarily have to involve anything military.) Some would find it a waste of time, but I reckon most would benefit from the experience.

Mick Smile
No fear, no hate, no pain, no broken hearts

For topical debate and vitriolic mudslinging DON'T visit: http://www.greatworlddebate.com cos it's a dead link.

INSTEAD visit http://greatworlddebate.net/gwdsmf/index.php
Find all posts by this user
25-08-2005, 04:03 PM
yes!!!!!

That or bring back some discipline to schools!

and SOON!!!!

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Time is never wasted when you are wasted all the time :pimp:[/FONT]
[Image: isis.gif]
25-08-2005, 04:41 PM
Good idea in theory, but would not work. Kids don't even attend school if they don't feel like it - let alone a 'military regime'.

Discipline and respect should be instilled at home by parents and relatives first and foremost, and the local bobby should be able to clip em round the ear if they are out of order ... somehow that died with Military Service.

As for learning a skill, an encouragement to employers to take on the old fashioned apprentice schemes might be more in order (but obviously paying a living wage)

WooWoo - who skived school, got clipped round the ear, the belted when cheeky by several relatives, respects her fellow man/woman and still earns a crust :blink:
25-08-2005, 05:05 PM
No I don't think it should. I don't see why the majority of well behaved teenagers have to go through national service or the like because there is a minority of badly behaved ones.
25-08-2005, 05:10 PM
WooWoo Wrote:the local bobby should be able to clip em round the ear if they are out of order ...

I don't agree with national service at all. You can't MAKE someone sign away two years of their life like that! No way!

The trouble is a lot of them are up to stuff that either warrants more than a clip round the ear and they need help ... short sharp punishments don't work in the long run, I'm led to believe. Proper behaviours have to be learnt and taught. I don't think unruly kids should go unpunished but I do beleive that re-educating them is the way forward.

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
25-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Bella Wrote:I also watched a bit of the Transformed programme about unruly teenagers and was appalled at how selfish these teenager were.

I saw this too Bella! The girl who didn't last the course was SO rude and just awful. I tell you if she'd stood up in the kitchen and eaten her dinner on the work surface while the rest of the family were in the dining room or front room ... well she'd go very very hungry if she lived with me I can tell you!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
25-08-2005, 05:20 PM
Good points ILS and Dol! Maybe an introduction of Boot-camp for teenagers who are unruly, the problem there is the justice system as has been pointed out it takes an age before a teenager who has broken the law to come before a court and they have to found guilty in the first place!

When did National Service stop? My dad done his national service, spent a year in Malaysia and passed his HGV test before his 21st birthday. He would never have been able to have done that if he hadn't done his national service.

I don't think we should look at National Service as a means of whipping youngsters into shape but think of it as a means of giving some youngsters opportunities they otherwise would never have, such as learning a new skill or seeing a country they would never be able to visit.

25-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Bella Wrote:Maybe an introduction of Boot-camp for teenagers who are unruly ...

no! you cant expect people to behave just cos they are effectively being "bullied" and held against their will! Unruly or not!

25-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Dolores Wrote:I saw this too Bella! The girl who didn't last the course was SO rude and just awful. I tell you if she'd stood up in the kitchen and eaten her dinner on the work surface while the rest of the family were in the dining room or front room ... well she'd go very very hungry if she lived with me I can tell you!

Well, yes exactly Dol! Why do these parents pander to their needs? There was that young guy screaming at his mother that he wasn't going to give her money but he went out and spent it on drugs!! He's another that would starve and would get nothing done for him.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  National Lottery PJ 17 1,250 27-08-2005 01:46 PM
Last Post: jaycee