Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the Police decide what duties they carry out?
05-10-2006, 07:17 PM

In light of the muslim police officer who declared he didn't want to guard the Iraseli Embassy as he didn't agree with Israel's policies, do you think policeman should be able to decide what duties they carry out?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-2006, 07:20 PM
I know the police are saying it was for "risk assessment" reasons why the muslim policemen isn't on Israeli embassy duty, but it doesn't wash with me I'm afraid!

what about all those policemen involved in the poll tax riots - surely some of them didn't agree with the poll tax and in a civilian role may have protested against it?

Or those officers who were involved in policing the pickets etc at the miner's strikes in the 1980s, surely some of them sympathised with the miners?

I thought a policeman's role was to do his duty and to carry out the law of the land, not to decide what he objected to and what he didn't object to?
05-10-2006, 07:38 PM
Agree with you Dol. They take the decision to join, they take thepay cheque at the end of the month, they do whatever is asked of them...how would a muslim fireman fare if he refused to put out a fire at the embassy and let people die as a result?
Find all posts by this user
05-10-2006, 08:10 PM
I hope they carry out this review properly. What gets my back up is that he's with the special diplomatic protection group, so there's even less of an excuse for this.

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]
05-10-2006, 09:22 PM
When you are sworn in as a police Officer basically you're agreeing to do the job...whatever that involves...you do as you are told...

If all officers decided to cherry pick jobs there would be anarchy...

Many officers hate going into domestic situations...why? Because they know that by entering a persons place of residence where and inflamed situation has or still is occuring they are immediately putting themselves at risk (the home is familiar to the occupier and the officer doesn't know what might be stashed away behind a cushion etc.)...also in many cases if the situation is resolved by an arrest the case against the offender is often droped as the couple kiss and make up or the argieved is to frightened to carry on with the charges...frustration is a big issue with any domestic...the other thing that happens is one partner is arrested for assaulting the other but then the other turns on the officer for arresting their partner! :blink: ...dispite all this they still go!

What interests me is whether or not this officer will be disciplined?

What if the shoe was on the other foot and an officer refused to guard the embassy of a predominantly Muslim state for the same reasons this officer gave...

Would said officer be deemed a racist?
Would the officer be seen to be inciting racial hatred?

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
05-10-2006, 09:30 PM
Just been chatting with colleagues...one say's the real reason why this officer didn't stand guard outside the embassy is because he was Lebonese and the Police risk assessed the situation and deemed that by him taking his post at the embassy his family would be put at risk....puts a slightly different tilt on things but he is supposedly back on duty at the embassy now....

I'm confused!

[Image: animated_shark184f200.gif] [Image: AniDive.gif][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="5"]Eeek! [/SIZE][/FONT][Image: yachtsink.gif] [SIZE="5"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Don't panic...I'll save you...oh dear![/FONT] [/SIZE]
06-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Good question!

Would it be acceptable for a Nazi soldier to refuse to execute jews because he disagrees with it?

An extreme example (please forgive me), but it is the old "only following orders" question and to what extent people under orders are able to express moral objection (the Nazi soldier would probably have suffered somehow).

I think it is important he has the right to express moral objection to an order.
06-10-2006, 06:52 PM
gatubela Wrote:Good question!

Would it be acceptable for a Nazi soldier to refuse to execute jews because he disagrees with it?

An extreme example (please forgive me), but it is the old "only following orders" question and to what extent people under orders are able to express moral objection (the Nazi soldier would probably have suffered somehow).

I think it is important he has the right to express moral objection to an order.

I'm glad you said it was an extreme example G!

I fail to see how becoming a policeman, voluntary and with the full knowledge of the job description etc, can equate on any level what so ever with the Nazi soldier "following orders" anaology.

Yes he has the right to express a moral objection but not to be excused duty. A policeman's job by it's very nature is to uphold the law and to do a job or take a stand for the law and against law breakers - whatever their moral objections are.
06-10-2006, 07:12 PM
gatubela Wrote:I think it is important he has the right to express moral objection to an order.

Does he f***!

He's a copper. He knows what he signed up for!

[Image: matt.gif]

"You can put lipstick on a pig...but it's still a pig!!!"
06-10-2006, 11:46 PM
...or teachers whinng because they're going to have to give lessons instead of dishing out URLs so their pupils can practise their cut'n'paste skills.

Sorry Rob :surrender:

[SIZE=3]

[url="http://www.TickerFactory.com/"]
[/url]
[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Our Police - do they do a good job? Bella 19 2,490 12-11-2004 08:02 PM
Last Post: floopy