Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should you tell your neighbours if you are moving?
02-05-2006, 02:16 PM

I live in a semi and was very miffed to return home last week and see my adjoining neighbours, who I am not pally pally with but we pass the time of day, send Christmas cards, I give the kids sweets, and I have done them lots of favours with watering gardens and taking in numerous parcels, had a For Sale board on their house without even mentioning it to me. My previous neigbours told me they were selling before they instructed the agents, and had the boot been on the other foot I would have knocked to tell them before the Board went up. I feel its just a matter or courtesy or am I being picky? What do others think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2006, 02:28 PM
IMO being to picky. We have the same sort of relationship with our neighours. Xmas cards, say hi to, look after house when they away etc etc. But it wouldn`t bother me if they put a sign up and said nothing. We probably wouldn`t tell them unless we bumped into them before hand.
02-05-2006, 02:53 PM
I didnt tell my neighbours.

Again we didnt have a close relationship with them. We would chat over the garden fence, and i would feed their cat when they were away. We would swop Xmas cards too .... but when we decided to put the house on the market they knew at the same time as the rest of the street.

I'm not perfect, but im so close it scares me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-05-2006, 03:08 PM
I wouldn't tell my neighbours, and wouldn't expect them to tell me. Same sort of relationship really, say hello, goodbye etc...but not close.
02-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Don't see why anyone should tell their neighbours - close or not. They'll know as soon as the "For Sale" sign goes up anyway.

If you are selling your house you have a thousand things to worry about - without adding which neighbours to tell to the list!

What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?
04-05-2006, 03:48 AM
I'm related to ALL of my neighbors (by marriage I MUST add) within a mile radius...they'd know even before we thought it up...:laugh:

I guess I'm Cornish...:unsure:
04-05-2006, 05:40 AM
When we moved here we upset our neighbours by not telling them. We had fully planned to as we knew we meant a lot to them. Their hapless daughter's young children were dumped on them every weekend and the 3 boys used to spend most of the time at our house with our boys - which was no problem at all and we knew it gave them a break. We used to look after their house and garden when they went away and generally were great amusement for them with our drunken parties (which they came to). At one stage we were discussing a huge extension and how it would effect them and the chap said he didn't care what we did as long as we didn't move. There was also a woman and her disabled son we helped out a lot across the road.

When we decided to move we were going to tell them first but the agent slapped a sign up the morning after he came - we didn't think it would go up till later that week. I went round to apologise to the immediate neighbours and will never forget him stood there hanging his head saying 'Why, but why'.

If you are close or your moving will affect the neighbours I would tell them before the sign goes up. If not don't bother.
04-05-2006, 06:37 AM
No mention of me you see. And she didn't mention to me that she was moving either. I am getting a fuller picture of where me and mine are in Cat's priorities now.:cry: :cry:
And to be honest they all had a big street party when she moved out anyway:ninja:
04-05-2006, 09:12 AM
Buzz Wrote:And to be honest they all had a big street party when she moved out anyway.

You weren't invited to that either, then? :bye:
04-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Patsy Wrote:You weren't invited to that either, then? :bye:
Oh I didn't need to be invited

I organised it!:w00t:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Moving House Andrea 9 1,965 16-05-2007 06:03 PM
Last Post: Coastie
  Noisy Neighbours Bonsai 7 1,067 19-11-2006 02:00 AM
Last Post: Mars
  Neighbours and planning tigger 11 1,827 05-04-2006 10:42 PM