Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Six degrees of separation
02-05-2005, 07:20 PM

I expect you’ve all heard this theory that everyone is separated from everyone else on earth by just six degrees of separation

Recently I’ve been surprised by just how few degrees there are between people I know – they don’t necessarily know one another per se and can be at completely opposite ends of the country.

It’s the sort of situation where X is in the same company as Y who does the same job as Z who knows A whose in the same field as B who worked with C who has the same interest as X, and so on and so forth.

I guess there’s a certain type of person we gravitate towards, so the chances of finding a common denominator are high, but it still surprises me how many connections there are.

Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just peculiar to me at the moment?

It would be quite easy to do an experiment by linking people on this site, but not using SO as one of the links - see how many jumps we need to make.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm interested in your premise Nox, but too drunk to make any sense of it!

... i only came online to visit Delia's site for tips on how to season a frying pan ...
02-05-2005, 07:35 PM
yes nox i was thinking this on sat night. i used to work in a shop called internacionale, met a girl, lets call her X, then she left to work at bnq. another friend lets call him Y, works at the same bnq, he was in my class at uni. then i decided to work at bnq too and met the rest of the bnq gang. then another friend of mines started working at bnq, called Z. then i left bnq but they still are friends. then on saturday night i was out with X and Z (coz there was a bnq party), X also invited her friend A to come, i have met A before and we are friendly coz we used to go to the same school!!! then there was a girl, lets call her B, who i vaguely know through friend Z. turns out girls X and A know girl B through good old internacionale. which is strange, how folk from different parts of my life all now know each other!!! if you managed to follow the xyz's!

kookycat? she makes exceedingly good posts

[Image: pot002.gif]

[Image: egg03061.gif]
02-05-2005, 07:53 PM
Is this what you mean Nox? I was at a friends on Friday night hosting my party and one of the mums I have known since P1 as our kids are in the same class mentioned where she was brought up and it wasn't far from where I was brought up. We started talking about the nightclubs we used to frequent and one in particular that I worked in and she mentioned that her sister also used to work there, until she died. She was knocked down coming home from Christmas shopping, I felt a shiver up my spine cos I remember the night it happened. There was a phone call to the disco to say what had happened and one of the girl's best friends just went to pieces. I vaguely remember her but I hadn't long started when she was killed, but I do remember the night it happened and how shocked everyone was as she was only 23 and so full of life. It's funny how things connect people.

Have I got this right or am I barking up the wrong tree? :unsure:

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
02-05-2005, 09:11 PM
I shall try and answer for Nox Bella - The Six Degrees of Seperation means that everyone in the world knows everybody else by 6 people.

So I suppose what you are saying is that the girl who was killed back then was known to you by the seperation of one degree [the Mum at school].

There is no doubt in my mind that this theory has to be true. Think about the number of people you each know or have met in your lives, it will probably be in the hundreds - and then if you 'know' someone here - you then have to consider that you know all those people by one degree pof seperation, and it then goes on.

I shall give an example how some people here know Sadam Hussain by a few degrees.

Those who have been to a meet, where one of the Survivors were present, will know Mark Austin by one degree [the survivors worked with him for varying lengths of time]. And Mark Austin is a news reader and has been a foreign correspondent, and I sure Mark Austin was a war correspondent during the Iraq war, and if he wasn't he reported it here in the UK - but he will have known the correspondent reporting from Iraq - and the correspondent in Iraq [or indeed Mark Austin] will have known or talked to someone who knew Saddam Hussain - there you have 3 [if Mark Austin reported directly from Iraq] or 4 [if it were another correspondent] degrees of seperation.

I love thinking about this and wondering how I can get to meet those 5 people inbetween me and George Clooney!!!:laugh:

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.

02-05-2005, 09:41 PM
Oh my Dad just knows everyone from one degree.
We used to go on holiday and he'd always meet someone he knew :wacko:

Although when I worked in America I went to a party the agency was hosting and met this girl. She looked so familiar. So we went through all the hospitals we'd worked at in America and it wasn't that.
Well we got talking about where we trained and she was in the nursing year above me. :ohmy:
Couldn't believe I'd travelled all that way and met someone working in the same hospital, never mind the same state who I knew.

[Image: 429.gif]
02-05-2005, 09:48 PM
Oh right now I get it! Does that mean then that I am one seperation of degree from Johnny Depp, my friend stood next to him in a hotel in Paris. :w00t:

TRINITY JEWELLERY - DESIGNS THAT STAND OUT
02-05-2005, 09:53 PM
Bella Wrote:Oh right now I get it! Does that mean then that I am one seperation of degree from Johnny Depp, my friend stood next to him in a hotel in Paris. :w00t:

I would mark that at half a degree - cos they didn't speak to know each other - but yes you know him by one and half degrees, cor can I have your autograph??

I always cook with wine, and sometimes I actually put it in the food.

02-05-2005, 10:34 PM
Oh what a fascinating thread!
I've heard the expression but never really knew what it meant.
I don't know if this counts but when I was in Canada I visited the boot store where I'd bought my boots the previous year. While I was waiting to be seen to a woman was in geting fitted for some boots, they don't sell second hand but the shop assistant said she had a pair that she could sell her only worn a few times cos her friend who wore them moved onto a better boot, The woman bought them at a bargain of $300.
A few days later I was at one of the three resorts having lunch and a girl came and asked if she could join our table, we got chatting and I asked her where she as from etc, she was working in Banff for the season and had managed to get herself a job in a ski rental shop. Her boss was the guy who owned the boot shop too. After talking about skiing and equiptment for a while she showed me her new boots, She said she'd just sold her last pair as she was advancing very quickly. Straight away I asked if they were a pair of blue langes size three. She looked at me as if to say how the hell! I laughed and said A british women bought them for $300. Her face was a picture. Turns out i was right!
Now is that just coincidence or is that a degree of seperation? Whatever it was a bit freaky given that that it's the only pair of second hand boots they've ever sold and of the 8000 people that passed through the resort that day, I just happened to get chatting to the owner of them boots!

The winner says it may be difficult but it is possible; the loser says it may be possible but it is too difficult
:yahoo: He's here!
03-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Cheers Flip, yep that's what I meant.

I know a lot of it is coincidence, but I seem to be meeting people who are just one or two degrees separated from other folks I know - the links are jumping out at me - it's quite funny.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  degrees kookycat 16 1,476 18-11-2004 06:48 PM
Last Post: kookycat